• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routing of Ellesmere Port-Warrington 'Any-Permitted' return

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Hi folks,

I was wondering if I purchased a Child Ellesmere Port-Warrington Anytime Day Return with the route 'Any-Permitted', could I use this to travel from Warrington to Crewe then to Chester then break my journey at Capenhurst?

I had a look on trainscanbecheaper but I find it a little hard to navigate. I assume that going via Crewe may not be possible, but it saves me an hour or so wait at Warrington. This may sound absolutely bonkers but is there some sort of excess I could buy? Maybe a change of route? I understand that there is some potential challenges in buying excesses and I should really try to avoid setting out to buy them.

Cheers in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi folks,

I was wondering if I purchased a Child Ellesmere Port-Warrington Anytime Day Return with the route 'Any-Permitted', could I use this to travel from Warrington to Crewe then to Chester then break my journey at Capenhurst?

I had a look on trainscanbecheaper but I find it a little hard to navigate. I assume that going via Crewe may not be possible, but it saves me an hour or so wait at Warrington.
TCBC is a tool to interpret the Routeing Guide, the Guide itself is on the ATOC website. You could give our RailUK Fares & Ticketing Guide - Section 3 - Routeing a go, which should help you understand the Routeing Guide. If there's a particular part you are stuck on, let us know exactly which part and we'll try to help.
This may sound absolutely bonkers but is there some sort of excess I could buy? Maybe a change of route?
There is a website which lists all the fares: brfares.com
There is no "Route: via Chester" fare to excess to. The only routeings are "Any Permitted" and "via Liverpool".
I understand that there is some potential challenges in buying excesses and I should really try to avoid setting out to buy them.
A change of route excess, where one exists, costs no more on board so there's no need to be concerned if a ticket office doesn't know how to issue it.

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
I had a look on trainscanbecheaper but I find it a little hard to navigate. I assume that going via Crewe may not be possible, but it saves me an hour or so wait at Warrington.

Hi. Sorry you're finding TCBC hard to navigate. Yorkie is correct that trainscanbecheaper is only an interpretation of the routeing guide, although it is capable of finding out what you asked for.

Go to trainscanbecheaper.info/tt.aspx. Put in "Ellesmere Port" as the "from" and "Warrington Stations" as the "to". In the "Stopping at" section, type in "Chester" and click "Add This". Now click "Click Here to Search for Journeys"

TrainsCanBeCheaper will offer some journeys, but you will see that they are all grayed out. If you click on one of them that looks similar to the journey you want, you can look at the diagnostics at the bottom. In this case, they show that the only maps from Hooton to Warrington are NO and NR, neither of which allow travel via Chester (or Crewe)

If any journey results are coloured green or yellow, they do follow permitted routes. If there were any change of routes excesses available for a journey, they would also come up green or yellow. Because there aren't, you'll probably need two tickets for your journey.

Please let me know if you need any more help using the system, or if you have any suggestions to make it easier to use.

kieron

Established Member
Going by the printed rules (with particular reference to the bit which says Ellesmere Port is associated with Warrington Group), I don't think you'd be allowed to travel via Capenhurst. NRE's secret rules are more generous here, but even then Chester's the furthest you can manage on that ticket.

Capenhurst-Warrington is valid that way (although you can only start in Ellesmere Port on a diesel train), but it's a bit dearer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.