• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rover for the Sussex and Kent Routes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Is there any rover ticket you can get to travel on the sussex and kent routes, a bit similar to the North East All Line Rover?

I looked on GTR's website, but can't seem to find anything.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is there any rover ticket you can get to travel on the sussex and kent routes, a bit similar to the North East All Line Rover?

There's the Southern DaySave (£21), which is valid across all of Southern's network with certain time restrictions. Note that this must be bought online at least 3 days in advance.

There also used to be a Thameslink DaySave (£23), however it's not currently on sale anywhere (you used to have to go to a tourist information centre in Brighton or Luton to buy it IIRC!).

You can also get the Kent Rover (£45 for 3 days, also available for 7 or 14 days). However this only valid in Kent (as the name suggests), with Swanley being the only station where the area of validity adjoins the Oyster/contactless PAYG zones. It's also not valid on HS1 or Thameslink services.

The SE is a bit of a desert as far as rangers and rovers go, unfortunately!

Nunners

Might be worth considering a weekly season that would allow a variety of routes as an alternative

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Might be worth considering a weekly season that would allow a variety of routes as an alternative
The most common one I've had people cite is a Margate to Weymouth one (routed via Barnham) which seems to be great value.

paul1609

Established Member
It really depends what you want to do. Kent and Sussex is a much larger area than many people realise. From Margate to Portsmouth is 140 miles roughly as far as Liverpool to Scarborough. If youve only got a day the best bargain will be the Southern Daysave and sticking to Southern trains. For a longer time as well as the Margate to Weymouth 7 day season about £97 theres a Wye to Beaulieu Rd 7 day at £73.70 both of these are available on the Key Smartcard. If youve got a railcardyou can register that put a cash credit on the card and then use keygo in the central GTR for uncovered branches and up to London and north on to Thameslink and Great Northern as per the key go map. You go also use it on many Go ahead bus services in the south.

Argyle 1980

Remember seeing a twitter feed from Southeastern once where somebody was asking if there was a day ticket as they were staying in Folkestone and wanted to tick off a number of CAMRA pubs around East Kent. Remember the SE staff member stating that there was no specific rover but they could buy a day return from Folkestone to Margate and stop and break journey as many times as they wished in the loop between Folkestone and Margate both via Dover and via Ashford/Canterbury West.
I suppose a return to Faversham would work in same way and give access to Dover/Canterbury East and also via Deal/Ramsgate/Herne Bay.

Gathursty

Established Member
It really depends what you want to do. Kent and Sussex is a much larger area than many people realise. From Margate to Portsmouth is 140 miles roughly as far as Liverpool to Scarborough. If youve only got a day the best bargain will be the Southern Daysave and sticking to Southern trains. For a longer time as well as the Margate to Weymouth 7 day season about £97 theres a Wye to Beaulieu Rd 7 day at £73.70 both of these are available on the Key Smartcard. If youve got a railcardyou can register that put a cash credit on the card and then use keygo in the central GTR for uncovered branches and up to London and north on to Thameslink and Great Northern as per the key go map. You go also use it on many Go ahead bus services in the south.
I think I am going to do this as I am wanting to tick of most of Surrey, Sussex, Kent and South of the Thames.

So far I've registered for the Key Smartcard from Southern. I'll try and do the keygo thing tonight. I'm aware some routes won't be allowed on the season ticket but quite a few ones will be that I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.