• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rowsley - Buxton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
The ideal use for Mayfeild I stand by what I said before, use all the land between the current approach, McDonald Hotel, A6 and Mancunian Way (A635M), mainly industrial land with low value, for the Manchester Central HS Railway Station (HS2). Including part of or all of the Mayfeild station campus.

Further slow line capacity should be used for cross manchester services with 6 through platforms at Piccadilly and 4 at Oxford Road, 2 of the Piccadilly platforms used for OR Bound terminating services.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

snail

Established Member
The ideal use for Mayfeild I stand by what I said before, use all the land between the current approach, McDonald Hotel, A6 and Mancunian Way (A635M), mainly industrial land with low value, for the Manchester Central HS Railway Station (HS2). Including part of or all of the Mayfeild station campus.
What about the new student flats, or the requirement to fit several 400m+ straight platforms in the space between this and Picc platforms 15/16? Impractical doesn't begin to describe it.

Nym

Established Member
What new student flats, I go past Mayfeild at least twice a week and it's all industry, and there is space for 8 400m straight platforms...

And where else in Manchester would you suggest where you can clear enough land for it?

I do like the way some people go around saying what will and won't work when they haven't once looked at a map, or arial photo, or once gone to ground to see whats there...

This area!

Lampshade

Established Member
What new student flats, I go past Mayfeild at least twice a week and it's all industry, and there is space for 8 400m straight platforms...

The halls of residence for the Royal Northern College of Music are to the west of Mayfield, between it and the Macdonald Hotel.

Nym

Established Member
The halls of residence for the Royal Northern College of Music are to the west of Mayfield, between it and the Macdonald Hotel.

Thankyou muchly, but it's outside of my defined bounds of what I said to be the Mayfeild Station, that would stop before the hotel / halls complex. See the map attached previously. It only paves over industrial land

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If the line ever reopens as part of the national network, I fear Peak Rail will have little say over what happens. In all probability, it would be part of the trackbed acquired by compulsory purchase, hopefully with enough funding for them to establish an alternative preservation operation .

Whilst this will sound a hammer blow to those instrumental in achieving all that their efforts have done so far, I fear that you are totally correct in all that you have stated. Have you any redundant railway infrastructure in mind that would serve as a new preservation operation in the Peak District?

martinsh

Established Member
Have you any redundant railway infrastructure in mind that would serve as a new preservation operation in the Peak District?

Do we really need one ? There's already the Ecclesbourne Valley and Midland Railway Centre within 10 miles of Matlock, not to mention the Speele Grange Light Railway. Maybe they could reopen the Ashover Light Railway, or the Cromford and High Peak ?!

Lampshade

Established Member
The Ashbourne Line would be a good candidate for reopening on a preservation-only level. All it would need is an extension from Hindlow :)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Do we really need one ? There's already the Ecclesbourne Valley and Midland Railway Centre within 10 miles of Matlock, not to mention the Speele Grange Light Railway. Maybe they could reopen the Ashover Light Railway, or the Cromford and High Peak ?!

I was making reference to the posting by Bevan Price in which he stated that monies from the compulsary purchase of the existing infrastructure could be used to establish an alternative preservation project. I was hoping that if this did occur,which would only be as a result of the existing line being put back into use as part of the National Rail system, the new project would stay in the Peak District.

However, your comment would suggest that any such monies to establish a new alternative preservation project in either the Ashover Light Railway or the Cromford and High Peak Railway would certainly have potential, subject to the required approvals that would be required.

Of course, all this is subject to the existing preservation project being compulsary purchased and the actual amount of money being offered in terms of compensation.

Nym

Established Member
Just to throw something else into the mix here.

If all routes to Chinley where electrified as part of a TfGM see sense and electrify all suburban routes around Greater Manchester for commuter services program. And the Midland Mainline through derby was electrified, and linespeed and capacity increased.

What would y'all say to closing the gap and having Derby - Chinley Electrified at 25KV OHL?

Also, I don't think a compulsary purchase would be needed. There are many options available, including the track of the preserved line remaining with a company owned by the preservers, and leased to network rail.

snail

Established Member
What would y'all say to closing the gap and having Derby - Chinley Electrified at 25KV OHL?
I would say what's the point? Does Manchester really need a direct link to Derby?

Lampshade

Established Member
I would say what's the point? Does Manchester really need a direct link to Derby?

Not just Derby though is it? It's the whole of southern Derbyshire, East Midlands Airport and Leicester (potentially).

If you look at it the other way "Does Derby really need a direct link to Manchester?" it makes a lot more sense.

snail

Established Member
Maybe. It was certainly a pain trying to get to Nottingham by train from Manchester when I had to do that regularly. (And even more of a pain to drive :lol:)

Nym

Established Member

Well, the hope valley is full, the diggle route is full, summit tunnel is too far north for sheffeild...

Choices...

Re-open the woodhead route.
Re-open Matlock - Buxton...

The latter is easyer, and doesn't require work in Sheffeild, also results in an alternative route for Freight from the park quarries.

It is also providing a faster link from Leicester, Nottingham, Cambridge, Peterborough, Norwich, and most of the East Midlands, Fens, and Bedfordshire to Greater Manchester and the North West.

snail

Established Member
Well, the hope valley is full, the diggle route is full, summit tunnel is too far north for sheffeild...

Choices...

Re-open the woodhead route.
Re-open Matlock - Buxton...

The latter is easyer, and doesn't require work in Sheffeild, also results in an alternative route for Freight from the park quarries.
Neither are as easy as the Northern Hub proposals to re-double Dore and add passing loops at Grindleford and Chinley, so there can be 4 tph between Sheffield/East Midlands and Manchester.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Ashbourne Line would be a good candidate for reopening on a preservation-only level. All it would need is an extension from Hindlow :)

I was in Ashbourne recently and as I am always intrigued by towns that have no stations these days, but have a "Station Road", so I traced the area where Ashbourne Station used to be. There is a large supermarket and other "new-ish" buildings covering the old station site.

Where would you propose a new Ashbourne terminal station for your proposed preservation project be situated?

Status
Not open for further replies.