• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal mail barrow tugs/tractors

Status
Not open for further replies.

themiller

I've been at several stations in years gone by before the days of the BRUTE where the mail barrows were pulled by small diesel tugs. Despite a search on Google, I can't find any information or photos of them. From memory, they had larger wheels and tyres at the rear, a Scammell type bonnet and a two finger towing hook so they could also be used with a standard 'tee' handle on the barrows. As I remember, they were road registered and had road registration plates. Does anyone have any info on them or know the whereabouts of any still in existence? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

themiller

I think they were railway rather than Royal Mail and electric rathr than diesels. Is the sort of thing? http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Derby&objid=1997-7397_DY_11641 I remember these tractors pulling trains of trolleys around London terminals in the 50s.

No. I've seen that type of thing but the ones that I mean are/were internal combustion powered and I speculate that they were used at stations where there was an intensive workload and ramps to negotiate as at Crewe. In such circumstances, it would have been cheaper and more effective to fill up a fuel tank than to have spare tugs on charge.

essexjohn

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
There were Royal Mail tractors at Derby pulling trolleys a very short distance between the station and the mail depot but because it involved traversing a public road (about a hundred yards) each tractor had to be registered and taxed, they all carried Derby registration plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.