• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Scotsman

Fleetwoodphil

The Royal Scotsman has a viewing gallery/balcony, which I believe is accessible while the train is moving, no doors, just chains. How is it affected by all doors must have CDL? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Presumably the procedures for the use of the balcony and doors have been fully agreed with the Office of Rail Regulation and approved as safe to continue.

That has no bearing or precedent for any other operation.

The Puddock

The Royal Scotsman has a viewing gallery/balcony, which I believe is accessible while the train is moving, no doors, just chains. How is it affected by all doors must have CDL? Thanks in advance.
What you have posted is incorrect. The verandah on the observation car (number 99965) has metal railings on the sides and end with perspex above, so is only open above around shoulder height. There are no chains. There are two openable sections of railings, one on either side, which are not classed as doors. These are used only by staff occasionally during shunting and are secured by padlock at all times when not in use. The verandah is accessible when the train is in motion but guests are supervised closely by staff. There are written warnings on the perspex screens instructing guests not to place any part of their body outside the railings.

The Royal Scotsman stock is not yet fitted with central door locking and runs under an exemption agreed with ORR. The doors are fitted with secondary bolts which are operated by the onboard staff. Except in an emergency only one door on one vehicle (number 99967 ‘Dining Car No 1’) is used by guests boarding or alighting and the door is only ever operated by a member of the onboard staff,

bleeder4

It's what Flying Scotsman shunted into on the Strathspey Railway last year, whilst people were standing on the balcony. Plenty of videos of that incident from the time that give you a close-up view of the balcony.

Trackman

Established Member
I merely looked at Belmond website, on their page for "R.S." Observation Car (ex-Met Camm Pullman Parlour) and cross-referenced to multiple images in the public domain
Found it! It's not the one I was thinking of though. I'm sure LSL have one, not as big as that, though.