• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

John B

Who decides the choice of the individual driver for the Royal Train and is it a specific operator?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SynthD

No.

Last night’s 1Z20 from Wolverton into Euston and onto Scotland showed on Traksy maps, but the schedule is always strictly for those who need to know.
Is the schedule public by way of being tracked in the past?

Heaps92

Drivers cant even see the diagram of the selected driver its top secret no head code or anything just start and finish time

pdeaves

Established Member
Drivers are selected from a group of drivers trusted to deal with their 'cargo' in an appropriate manner (i.e. not throw the train around; stop in EXACTLY the right place, etc.), according to a former Royal Train manager at an institute talk recently.

DB

It is mostly MK3s, does it have CETs or are the royal emissions deposited on the tracks?

All Mk3s apart from the two brake / generator vehicles, which are Mk2.
A couple from the prototype HST, several ex-production HST catering vehicles, and the most recent were built specifically for the royal train.

So far as I'm aware it doesn't have tanks, but not absolutely certain about that.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Drivers are selected from a group of drivers trusted to deal with their 'cargo' in an appropriate manner (i.e. not throw the train around; stop in EXACTLY the right place, etc.), according to a former Royal Train manager at an institute talk recently.

I'd also presume they'd have to have some sort of extra security clearance / background checks?

irish_rail

Established Member
And yet when royals travel on normal trains any old driver will be at the controls. Not quite sure how they justify the selection of "trusted" drivers. Sounds a bit vague to me. Mates of the driver management more likely.

On Moderation
So far as I'm aware it doesn't have tanks, but not absolutely certain about that.
I would expect all the sleeping vehicles at least to have CET, as at least 2915 and 2922 were built either with or after the Mark 3 sleeper build. You'd need to see decent photos of the others to tell, as it's not the sort of gen you'd see an announcement about.

Mates of the driver management more likely.
In other words, those management can trust rather than the awkward squad that will exist at every company. Not exactly surprising, and probably how it should be.

dave87016

Established Member
I have posted the stock in the thread in the Allocations section but have posted here aswell for you

Philip

On Moderation

I'd have thought the train being thrown around depends on the quality of the track and the line speed over points and junctions? Going slower could cause delays elsewhere. The driver would be within his/her right to take junctions and any stretch of line at the normal permitted speed.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'd have thought the train being thrown around depends on the quality of the track and the line speed over points and junctions? Going slower could cause delays elsewhere. The driver would be within his/her right to take junctions and any stretch of line at the normal permitted speed.

The train is timed specially.

6Gman

Established Member
And yet when royals travel on normal trains any old driver will be at the controls. Not quite sure how they justify the selection of "trusted" drivers. Sounds a bit vague to me. Mates of the driver management more likely.
It sometimes helps if you're on the LDC (Local Departmental Committee - staff-side union reps). And sometimes doesn't! ;)

And if they did so it would be their last trip on the royal train. Do they still always have a Traction Inspector (or present-day equivalent) present?

Ashley Hill

Established Member
At my depot in BR days we had a handful of senior guards and drivers who were rostered for royal duties when required. Most depots had such men (as it was then) and several are documented in various railway reminiscences.

High Dyke

Established Member
It sometimes helps if you're on the LDC (Local Departmental Committee - staff-side union reps). And sometimes doesn't! ;)

And if they did so it would be their last trip on the royal train. Do they still always have a Traction Inspector (or present-day equivalent) present?
Yes, as far as I'm aware. A colleague of mine was tasked to deliver the papers to the train one day, folliwing an overnight stop. He had to confirm his identity/nature of business to get near the train. He was then met by the TI, who asked further security questions before accepting the delivery of the newspapers.

Geeves

Established Member
I cannot speak for the drivers side but for the station side, while the day of arrival is obviously known the exact time doesn't usually come through till the day and that can change.The station has police in attendance for at least a week (or two) before checking everything and I mean everything!

I can only presume that the train runs on a very short term plan that is flexible enough to cover every need of its passengers and that the driver will be told arrive well in advance of departure etc, plus spare drivers I would imagine.

Philip

On Moderation
Why do they sometimes use the Royal Train to travel but other times regular passenger services with just a coach locked off?

Prince Charles and Camilla, Kate and I think one of William or Harry have all used Virgin/Avanti in the last few years and have got off the train at a station open to the public at that point...Wilmslow for one.

TheEdge

Established Member
Why do they sometimes use the Royal Train to travel but other times regular passenger services with just a coach locked off?

Prince Charles and Camilla, Kate and I think one of William or Harry have all used Virgin/Avanti in the last few years and have got off the train at a station open to the public at that point...Wilmslow for one.

Its walking the line between spending money that doesn't need to be spent and using then train when most suitable.

Simple A to B trips (London to King's Lynn) can be done with extra security on a public train, easy. But trips like this where you have a tour, effectively a charter, are easier and more practical to do using the train.

matt_world2004

Established Member
During the wedding of William and Kate 9 years ago there was a steam locomotive (with a royal crest ) and two purple carriages parked by Acton Mainline station . Would this have been the royal train?

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member

Because you cant sleep overnight on a usual train in a locked off coach

DB

Generator coach I think?

yes, believe so - there are generators in both of the mk2 brake vans.

The train appears to have dual wiring - both standard ETS and 3-phase. Presumably this is so that the loco can power it while on the move, but the generator at night. The standard ETS would require the MA sets to be running under the floors, which might well be too noisy at night, so that's probably the reason for not supplying standard ETS from the geerator as well. Static converters would be an option now, but probably weren't available when this set-up was wired.

DelW

Established Member

Partly anti-virus measures? Since it's providing overnight accommodation, I'd expect it's easier to ensure Covid precautions on one train than on a mixture of trains, cars, and hotels.

trebor79

Established Member
I cannot speak for the drivers side but for the station side, while the day of arrival is obviously known the exact time doesn't usually come through till the day and that can change.The station has police in attendance for at least a week (or two) before checking everything and I mean everything!
I lived next to the Leamside Line for a while. One of the last trains over it was the Royal Train. There was an occupational crossing behind our back garden. We noticed some railway workers examining it one day, bit odd as we'd never seen it examined before, but we didn't think anything of it. Then similarly a week or so later, couple of blokes having a mooch about. Then a day or so later some plain clothes people - (dunno if they were BR or special branch or what) pull up in a car for a few minutes, have a look around and drive off.
Shortly after that a smart royal-liveried class 47 running light engine, followed a few minutes after that by the train itself, at which point the penny dropped!

DelW

Established Member
Last night's "Paddington 24/7" showed such measures, during a recent visit by Camilla Duchess of Cornwall.

Status
Not open for further replies.