• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RPI blitz at Derby this evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Tesco won't shut their store for half an hour at no notice during opening hours and tell you all to wait until they feel like opening again...so your analogy doesn't fit I'm afraid.

Yes they will. A local OneStop (Tesco owned) is often closed because of lack of staff. At a Tesco Express, a computer fault knocked out all of the tills and people were unable to pay. Funnily enough, they weren't allowed to leave without paying, so had to wait or leave their baskets and go somewhere else.

Supermarket analogies are so popular on this forum but so rarely work as comparisons to anything on the railway.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Derby remodelling is the cause of that I would expect. The Matlock line service was much reduced for various big chunks and rail replacement buses aren't exactly known for ticket inspections.

Aha! Thank you for reminding me about that. Yes, makes sense.

davetheguard

Established Member
Revenue Protection Officers working for EMR have pretty good T&Cs. Their role is in no way related to that of a driver and I'm quite sure many RPOs are happy in their role and have no desire to drive trains.

There have been plenty of changes to the role of the Guard across many franchises, including in some cases changing the method of working and changing the priorities the work due to the Persons of Reduced Mobility (PRM) legislation. Revenue is always the lowest priority of any train Guard.

Safety.
Service.
Revenue.

You've forgotten to include timekeeping....

Established Member
My point is that in Northern's case: too many RPIs - not enough drivers. If you look at the Northern franchise, Delay Repay claims have probably crippled the franchise due to the amount of claims arising from deteriorating cancellations and delays. I know Network Rail often pay for these but the processing of these claims is what costs TOCs out.
Repeating it doesnt make you right though.

Status
Not open for further replies.