• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rule 55 (Requirement to contact signaller if standing for long period of time) - Is there a modern equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
In the report of the Clapham Junction disaster, the driver of the first train, having passed a signal which had gone to red right in front of him, was on the phone to the signalman to report it but was having difficulty convincing the signalman that his train existed because the track circuit was showing clear. What neither of them realised was that there were actually two vanished trains in that section, until the driver at the signalpost reported that his train had been hit from behind.
That was not my interpretation. The track circuits in the signal box were showing normally so WF153 should’ve been showing danger, but was showing a green aspect. As you say the signal then went to danger in his face. So he phoned in. The signaller saw things looked normal and because the signal was automatic, believed nothing was wrong.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Not quite the OPs question, but am I right in thinking that until relatively recently, if a train arrived at an automatic signal on a track circuited route showing red, and the driver discovers the signal post telephone is not working (and no alternative so obviously pre-GSMR), after a certain time has elapsed he/she was allowed to pass it under his/her own authority and proceed at extreme caution into the section ahead to use the phone at the next signal?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
That was not my interpretation. The track circuits in the signal box were showing normally so WF153 should’ve been showing danger, but was showing a green aspect. As you say the signal then went to danger in his face. So he phoned in. The signaller saw things looked normal and because the signal was automatic, believed nothing was wrong.
The track circuit itself was indeed working correctly - it was the feed to the relay that operated the signal (and presumably the indications in the signalbox) which was faulty. The signaller would have seen signal W138 showing a proceed aspect and the track circuit to be unoccupied.

cf111

Established Member
There are some routes where drivers must leave their cab to operate a token instrument or plunger etc.
Three examples, and I'm sure there are many, are Dingwall (North/westbound), Lairg (northbound) and Georgemas Junction (towards Thurso) on the Far North Line. Lairg has a plunger which operates a level crossing, Dingwall and Georgemas have plungers to set routes to Kyle/Wick/Thurso as appropriate.

Annetts key

Established Member
Not quite the OPs question, but am I right in thinking that until relatively recently, if a train arrived at an automatic signal on a track circuited route showing red, and the driver discovers the signal post telephone is not working (and no alternative so obviously pre-GSMR), after a certain time has elapsed he/she was allowed to pass it under his/her own authority and proceed at extreme caution into the section ahead to use the phone at the next signal?
That rule existed yes, as long as the driver made every effort possible to contact the signaller first and as long as the signal was plated as an automatic signal. I don’t know for certain, but I don’t think it has been in the rule book for some time now.

The track circuit itself was indeed working correctly - it was the feed to the relay that operated the signal (and presumably the indications in the signalbox) which was faulty. The signaller would have seen signal W138 showing a proceed aspect and the track circuit to be unoccupied.
In my mind, I think the track circuit indication in the signal box was working normally. This being the reason that the signaller had not noticed any problems since they had been on duty.

One set of electrical contacts of the track circuit relay were bypassed by the redundant wire, and this set of contacts were what was supposed to be controlling the signal control relay.

I will have to check the report, but I believe the signal box track indication circuit was unaffected by the fault.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
No. The signaller could not see the aspect as that box did not show aspects of automatic signals. And the box was showing the correct indication that the track was occupied.

That rule existed yes, as long as the driver made every effort possible to contact the signaller first and as long as the signal was plated as an automatic signal. I don’t know for certain, but I don’t think it has been in the rule book for some time now.

In my mind, I think the track circuit indication in the signal box was working normally. This being the reason that the signaller had not noticed any problems since they had been on duty.

One set of electrical contacts of the track circuit relay were bypassed by the redundant wire, and this set of contacts were what was supposed to be controlling the signal control relay.

I will have to check the report, but I believe the signal box track indication circuit was unaffected by the fault.
Correct.

LAX54

Established Member
GSM-R followed SMA & CSR nomenclature

S=Standing
G=Signal

More than likely the SPT would not work

Good old Railway :) why use obvious letters, when random ones will do :) WS maybe have been better !

It has been removed for sometime now, it is deemed that as there are more forms of communication that the rule on passing a red auto was not needed anymore.

83G/84D

Established Member
I was briefly confused a few weeks ago when I got sent "at signal" from a train I knew was nowhere near a signal. I wondered if it was pressed in error instead of something else maybe DRA?

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
From the good old days!

"During fog or falling snow, to the signal box you go."
An alternative (not signalling related but for no trains running) version, 'during fog or falling snow, to the bothy you will go' - not sure how widespread the use of the term 'bothy' for mess room is/was.

CC 72100

Established Member
I was briefly confused a few weeks ago when I got sent "at signal" from a train I knew was nowhere near a signal. I wondered if it was pressed in error instead of something else maybe DRA?
More likely it was struck accidentally; very easy to 'clip' the side of the GSM-R when reaching for something beyond it (such as the drinks holder in one of the traction I sign), and REG/CALL/SG/X are the button on that far side and easy to clip as your hand goes past.

83G/84D

Established Member
More likely it was struck accidentally; very easy to 'clip' the side of the GSM-R when reaching for something beyond it (such as the drinks holder in one of the traction I sign), and REG/CALL/SG/X are the button on that far side and easy to clip as your hand goes past.
At least he didn't press the red REC button! That's gone off a few times in error whilst I have been on duty. Lot's of "please explains" flying around after that.

alxndr

Established Member
More than likely the SPT would not work
SPTs are still tested every 3 months, even if they're rarely used these days, so they should work.

An alternative (not signalling related but for no trains running) version, 'during fog or falling snow, to the bothy you will go' - not sure how widespread the use of the term 'bothy' for mess room is/was.
The version I've heard was "in rain, fog, or falling snow, to the cabin we will go". I believe that was aimed at when to stop work, presumably due to loss of sighting.

Annetts key

Established Member
Clapham Junction accident:

The correct track circuit indications were displayed in the signal box for all the relevant track circuits.
The signal that did not operate correctly was signal WF138. This is an automatic signal. No indications are provided for the signaller for signal WF138. The signaller therefore would not know what it is actually showing. This is normal practice.
The above reasons are why the signaller did not notice anything wrong.

The relay for track circuit ‘DL’ was working correctly. However, the contact of this relay that feeds the control relay for signal WF138 had been bypassed by the redundant wire (that had not been removed or properly insulated). This had the effect of causing the control relay for signal WF138 to ignore the state of DL track circuit.
All the other circuits that used the relay for track circuit ‘DL’ were working correctly.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
No. The signaller could not see the aspect as that box did not show aspects of automatic signals. And the box was showing the correct indication that the track was occupied.
Thank you - that wasn't apparent from the accident report. It would explain why the signalman didn't spot anything was wrong - at least not until a track circuit went from occupied to clear when the next track circuit along was already occupied. (EDITED -I referred to an "RAIB" report but it was acvtually a public enquiry (known as the "Hidden" Report after the head of the enquiry)

Last edited:

Elecman

Established Member
Thank you - that wasn't apparent from the RAIB report. It would explain why the signalman didn't spot anything was wrong - at least not until a track circuit went from occupied to clear when the next track circuit along was already occupied.
It wouldn’t have been a RAIB report as they did not exist at that time

Ken H

On Moderation
Rule 55 essentially required a driver or other member of the crew to contact the signalman (generally by walking to the signalbox) if his
train was delayed at a signal for a significant time (usually three minutes). The rule was there to ensure the signalman didn't forget the train was there and set up a conflicting move. Failure to observe the rule led to accidents such as Hawes Junction (1910) and Quintinshill (1915), in both of which an express train was signalled through a section despite a stationary train standing at one of the signals. At Hawes Junction the forgotten train (actually a pair of locomotives) moved off when the signal cleared, but were quickly caught up and rear-ended by the following express. At Quintinshill a local train had been shunted to the "wrong" road to allow a faster train to overtake, but the signalman (who had actually arrived on that very train to start his shift) then forgot about it and signalled a train through in the opposite direction. The carnage was added to when the train that was to have overtaken the local appeared on the scene moments later.
In these days of track circuits, and power signal boxes miles from the signals they control, the rule is largely obsolete.
If I may add to that. the driver must sign the train register to say he had carried out rule 55, and later, see the signalman had put collars on the relevant levers to stop him inadvertently clearing signals into the back of his train.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There was a rather similar incident to Clapham on the Washington Metro, where one track circuit was showing false clear, so a train in that section was invisible to the signalling. It was apparently like this for some time, until a train was unexpectedly delayed in the "blind" section and hit by the one behind.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
If I may add to that. the driver must sign the train register to say he had carried out rule 55, and later, see the signalman had put collars on the relevant levers to stop him inadvertently clearing signals into the back of his train.

In the 10 years I was at my Box I can only remember one occasion when I driver used our only SPT, (Down Out Home) and that was because his mobile phone didn't work for some reason, other than that they only time they were used was on the 3 monthly check by the Track Walker.
And I did once get a driver to come up into the Box and made him sign the TRB as he was sat at the Down Inner Home, right outside the Box, when we had a barrier failure.

83G/84D

Established Member
In the 10 years I was at my Box I can only remember one occasion when I driver used our only SPT, (Down Out Home) and that was because his mobile phone didn't work for some reason, other than that they only time they were used was on the 3 monthly check by the Track Walker.
And I did once get a driver to come up into the Box and made him sign the TRB as he was sat at the Down Inner Home, right outside the Box, when we had a barrier failure.

I had the guard come up and sign the train register a few times in the 1990’s.

Lewlew

That’s still the rule/procedure on London Underground, unless stopped at a station. Except SPTs have been removed/decommissioned. So it’s train radio, personal hand portable radio or mobile phone (where signal is available). If no contact then able to pass under own authority.

Annetts key

Established Member
Thank you - that wasn't apparent from the accident report. It would explain why the signalman didn't spot anything was wrong - at least not until a track circuit went from occupied to clear when the next track circuit along was already occupied. (EDITED -I referred to an "RAIB" report but it was acvtually a public enquiry (known as the "Hidden" Report after the head of the enquiry)

Wasn't it the 'Hidden' report? Lot of recommendations on working hours etc.
The ‘Investigation into the Clapham Junction Railway Accident’ by Anthony Hidden QC.

Anthony Hidden QC was invited by the Secretary of State for Transport to hold a formal (public) investigation into the causes of and circumstances attending the Clapham Junction Railway Accident.

As a result, the report from Anthony Hidden QC was presented to Parliament. And a written report in the form of a book was published by Her Majesty’s Stationery Office.

There were 93 recommendations.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

At 8:10 a.m. on the morning of Monday, 12 December 1988, a crowded commuter train ran head-on into the rear of another which was stationary in a cutting just south of Clapham Junction station. After that impact the first train veered to its right and struck a third oncoming train. As a result of the accident 35 people died and nearly 500 were injured, 69 of them seriously. The names of those who died are set out at Appendix A. They were all travelling in the front two coaches of the first train.

On the following morning your predecessor as Secretary of State for Transport invited me to hold a formal Investigation into the causes and all the circumstances attending the accident under section 7 of the Regulation of Railways Act 1871.

The purpose of this Investigation was not to look for one simple, single solution to account for the tragedy but to seek to establish both the immediate and the underlying causes of the accident and all the circumstances attending it. That target sought to ensure that every conceivable lesson of the tragedy was learned and that the risk of such an accident happening again was reduced as near to zero as was humanly possible. That was and is the aim of this Investigation.

LAX54

Established Member
Wasn't it the 'Hidden' report? Lot of recommendations on working hours etc.
Hidden recommendation 28. hence Hidden 28 used by rosters :) but, it was never intended to stop staff doing O/T or affect wages, and for a long time you could work a rest day, and up to 13 days, then have the 14th off as 'Hidden', but that changed over time, and the railway stopped you working a rest day if it would exceed Hidden, unless it suited them !

LowLevel

Established Member
Another possible reason is that if a train stops with a wheel over an axle counter, it may trigger a spurious detection so that the sections either side fail to clear when the train moves away. I believe this was the reason the platforms at Nottingham have track circuits when the rest of the area has axle counters. However, with newer installations there is a system to clear both the sections if the train registers the appropriate number of axles when passing over the next axle counter.

Incidentally it's referred to as track circuit block even if the actual detection of trains is by axle counters.

Doesn't seem to work too well at Derby - they have issues most days with terminating trains causing "partial traverse" issues.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
That’s still the rule/procedure on London Underground, unless stopped at a station. Except SPTs have been removed/decommissioned. So it’s train radio, personal hand portable radio or mobile phone (where signal is available). If no contact then able to pass under own authority.
Plenty of SPTs still in use and maintained on the Met line.

Worth clarifying also that this procedure only applies at automatic signals plated with an A (and previously S) prefix. Automatic signals with any other prefix must be treated as semi-automatic and cannot be past on a driver's own authority - generally these will have an X somewhere in their identification and are colloquially known as 'X-signals'.

Status
Not open for further replies.