• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rules Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyGregs

I am due my initial rules exams in the next week. Is it as scary as it was made out to be by the training school. I am bricking it, and just hoping the knowledge is in my head somewhere. Assuming PTS and protection will be key, also emergency call procedure. I’m sure I’ll be ok but just wondered of any tips or help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver2B

Don't stress too much!

I understand that you will be nervous, but I'm sure you'll do fine, especially if you have been throughout the course.

Have you been having frequent (weekly-ish) assessments? If so, these should indicate how you've been doing, and if there are any concerns, your trainer(s) should have been attempting to provide you with the support that you need.

It may vary from TOC to TOC, but if you were to fail, some TOCs will provide you with support and allow you to sit the assessment again.

It does concern me that you don't appear to have been told what will be in the test - it should be a little bit of everything (except anything that your trainer(s) have explicitly told you will not be covered). Maybe ask your trainer(s) for clarification?

All I can suggest is look through your rule book and notes, and try to brush up on all you can, but do it in short, sharp bursts. Maybe 20-30 minutes revision on something specific, then 20-30 minutes off. The night before, go to bed early and try to have a good night's sleep. A nice breakfast (bacon and egg bap, I'd recommend!) on the morning, and bring a nice snack (especially if you have a break during the test). Of course, make sure you arrive in plenty of time without needing to rush! It's amazing how much little things like a good sleep, a good breakfast and arriving in plenty of time will help you!

I'm sure you'll do well, but if things don't go as well as you'd like, ask your trainers what they will do to support you. And assuming you are a union member, speak to your union if you don't think the trainer(s) are supporting you correctly.

It's my understanding that at my TOC, the vast majority pass the rules exam, and those who don't have usually received extra support in advance and it's not a complete surprise!

Good luck and please let us know if you need anything else.

CE142

It's basically common sense. Especially if I expect it is multiple choice, 4 answers, discard one that leaves you 3 choices! Read the question twice sometimes even three or four times, some questions may require you to give more than one answer.
Even now after many years I can never remember how far away I am supposed to stand from the overheads or from an approaching train, the answer? As far away I can possibly get.... :D
:D

Undiscovered

A lot of it is common sense, but they're also looking for key words and phrases, like 'position of safety', 'signal post telephone, etc.
Usually, if there's anything they're not happy with, you'll be questioned on it to check you understand the situation but just can't put it down on paper.
If you're not sure of anything now, ask your trainer.

Lmc1976

I think from your previous posts you’re a conductor? So your rules won’t be exams as such all though you will have a short written paper on making an emergency call and one other I can’t remember.

The rest of your “rules” as such will be done by your guard manager and they will be looking for you to demonstrate what you have learnt both in a one to one chat and out working trains, anything they don’t see they will ask you about so as long as you’ve been taking notice and putting a little effort in to retain the information during training you will be absolutely fine. If you’re not sure about something they will adjust their questioning to coax the answer from you and you will be amazed what you have retained I suspect. You’re never going to remember everything, they understand that and the scoring system they have can reflect that.

In my opinion the only way you can really mess it up is if you have made no effort at all during your training and/or you are unsafe when working a train.

And even if you do make a mistake you won’t be hung out to dry for it, that’s what the training process is for to learn and develop.

It’s easy for me to say but relax, your manager will have done this process many times before. You may actually find you enjoy the days and when you look back I can assure you it won’t be as bad as you thought it was going to be!

MattyGregs

Cheers for the feedback! Puts me at ease a little bit.

My rules have been pushed back a bit anyway so got some more time to cram and make sure I have all the knowledge I need.

michael74

Cheers for the feedback! Puts me at ease a little bit.

My rules have been pushed back a bit anyway so got some more time to cram and make sure I have all the knowledge I need.
As others have said, you will be fine. Did mine 5 months ago (same company as you), as long as you have paid attention and done some revision should be no issues.

MattyGregs

As others have said, you will be fine. Did mine 5 months ago (same company as you), as long as you have paid attention and done some revision should be no issues.
I haven’t gone mad on revision but a bit every night. It’s hard to get it all in when you’re also currently route learning. I’m fairly confident it’ll be ok though!

Well that all went a-ok. Just the small matter of the regional pass out left to go!

Last edited:

michael74

I haven’t gone mad on revision but a bit every night. It’s hard to get it all in when you’re also currently route learning. I’m fairly confident it’ll be ok though!

Well that all went a-ok. Just the small matter of the regional pass out left to go!
Good stuff well done, out of interest you didn't take a 2+4 off me at BTM yesterday did you?

MattyGregs

I definitely took a 2+4 off someone went over to Cardiff but on the 10:27 I believe. Can’t remember exact time train we took tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.