• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rules for Czech 'First Minute' fares

SandsofEss

I'm trying to stitch together a trip on the Bernina Express with the night train from Zurich to Prague.

I can find Czech 'First Minute' fares from as far down the line as Poschiavo, through to Prague, that represent excellent value.

Does anybody know if the 'specific train' restrictions for First Minute fares apply to all trains in the itinerary, or just the international train?

I'm trying to work out if I can break my journey en route somewhere in Switzerland for an hour or two.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
This is what CD say
https://www.cd.cz/en/typy-jizdenek/mezinarodni-jizdenky/-28628/
The validity of the ticket is 2 days, the journey must start on the 1st day of validity and the condition of using the mandatory cross-border train between the Czech Republic and the neighbouring country printed on the ticket must be met for the journey. When travelling to Germany and Austria, the other connections in these countries listed on the ticket must also be observed, this also applies to journeys in transit through Germany and Austria. The compulsory train must be used for its entire route within the framework of the concluded transport contract.
So you must take the booked train all the way from/to Buchs or Basel (depending on your route - I would choose Buchs if it isn’t cancelled due to engineering work - but within Switzerland there is no restriction (as normal in that country).

PS you can route yourself via St Moritz instead of direct, I think.

SandsofEss

This is what CD say
https://www.cd.cz/en/typy-jizdenek/mezinarodni-jizdenky/-28628/

So you must take the booked train all the way from/to Buchs or Basel (depending on your route - I would choose Buchs if it isn’t cancelled due to engineering work - but within Switzerland there is no restriction (as normal in that country).

PS you can route yourself via St Moritz instead of direct, I think.
Thanks, that's how I read that too.

What gives me pause is that the CD website only offers me a fare for one specific itinerary, but those rules appear to be clear.

It will save me a fortune if so, and enable me to spend a few hours in St Moritz or elsewhere in the alps, before heading down to Zurich.

mugam4

There is wording on the CD website for these, in Document terms & conditions, such that makes me question whether it is valid on any train in Switzerland:
Obligatory train EN 50467 in the segment Buchs SG – Praha hl.n. and other obligatory foreign trains per the searched connection

Is this similar to the wording now added to DB Sparpreis tickets issued to Switzerland?
Gilt in der Schweiz nur in gebuchten Zügen gemäß Reiseverbindung.
Valid in Switzerland only on trains booked according to the travel connection.

SandsofEss

There is wording on the CD website for these, in Document terms & conditions, such that makes me question whether it is valid on any train in Switzerland:

Is this similar to the wording now added to DB Sparpreis tickets issued to Switzerland?
The plot thickens. That same document states:

"It is possible to interrupt the journey at any time except for the obligatory train."

So, the question is, what classes as an 'obligatory foreign train per the searched connection'?!

1699399445765.png

Having purchased the ticket, this appears to be the relevant section. It appears to state that the mandatory train is EN 50467.

However, the third line lists all of the trains in the suggested itinerary. I think I'll have to email Cesky Dray for confirmation...

Last edited:

mugam4

It is disappointing that DB, and possibly CD, have moved in this direction, but I can't fault them for it as the fares remain incredible value compared to SBB and it always was a little too good to be true.

Veteran Member

"It is possible to interrupt the journey at any time except for the obligatory train."

So, the question is, what classes as an 'obligatory foreign train per the searched connection'?!

View attachment 146157

Having purchased the ticket, this appears to be the relevant section. It appears to state that the mandatory train is EN 50467.

However, the third line lists all of the trains in the suggested itinerary. I think I'll have to email Cesky Dray for confirmation...
If I click on "details" for a similar route I can choose "earlier/later" at each changing point. I can also set transfer times in "parameters" on the ticket start page. Either or both might help.

Nunners

View attachment 146157

Could "obligatory foreign trains" refer to reservation compulsory trains, e.g. TGV or Polish Intercity trains?

Veteran Member
Could "obligatory foreign trains" refer to reservation compulsory trains, e.g. TGV or Polish Intercity trains?
In the context it refers to trains that must be used for the journey. Germany and Austria - where the rule specifically applies - don't do compulsory reservations, and nor does Switzerland.

SandsofEss

Having travelled this route today, I can confirm that it is mandatory to use the specified connecting trains in Switzerland.

rvdborgt

Having travelled this route today, I can confirm that it is mandatory to use the specified connecting trains in Switzerland.
As far as I can see, the conditions you get to see before booking don't specify any mandatory trains in within Switzerland, only in Germany and Austria. That means trains in Switzerland can't suddenly be made mandatory when you buy a ticket.