• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Runcorn to Wellingborough

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzaa2

Looking on the trainline and it won't show any tickets via London, are you able buy an off peak return ticket that will allow you to change via London (i.e. at Euston to change at St Pancras)? The other laborious routes require multiple changes and involve engineering works on the day i'm looking to travel. Obviously don't want to buy a ticket to Euston and then another one to Wellingborough if I can avoid it. The reality of travelling north to south is a lot of places are more convenient to get to via London even if they're nowhere near.

It lets me book via Luton so I was thinking of doing that as Luton to Wellingborough is close.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
It lets me book via Luton so I was thinking of doing that as Luton to Wellingborough is close.
What do you mean by this? That a journey from Runcorn to Wellingborough via Luton is offered with one ticket?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looking on the trainline and it won't show any tickets via London, are you able buy an off peak return ticket that will allow you to change via London (i.e. at Euston to change at St Pancras)? The other laborious routes require multiple changes and involve engineering works on the day i'm looking to travel. Obviously don't want to buy a ticket to Euston and then another one to Wellingborough if I can avoid it. The reality of travelling north to south is a lot of places are more convenient to get to via London even if they're nowhere near.

The through fares are routed Any Permitted. Surprisingly (given the railway's rather unhelpful attitude on permitted routes) these do, technically speaking, allow travel via London.

However, as they don't have a Maltese Cross, you may struggle to have your ticket accepted this way and you won't be able to get any itineraries, unless you search for a journey at such a time when the Underground between Euston and St Pancras is deemed "closed" in the industry data.

Therefore, realistically speaking, you'll have to buy a combination of tickets if you wish to travel via London. That need not necessarily cost a lot more than the through fare, but it's certainly not something the average person would necessarily think of doing. There are split ticketing sites out there that will automatically determine the cheapest combination for your intended travel date and time.

gazzaa2

What do you mean by this? That a journey from Runcorn to Wellingborough via Luton is offered with one ticket?

Buy Runcorn to Luton and then Luton to Wellingborough, although it's an added expense.

The through fares are routed Any Permitted. Surprisingly (given the railway's rather unhelpful attitude on permitted routes) these do, technically speaking, allow travel via London.

However, as they don't have a Maltese Cross, you may struggle to have your ticket accepted this way and you won't be able to get any itineraries, unless you search for a journey at such a time when the Underground between Euston and St Pancras is deemed "closed" in the industry data.

Therefore, realistically speaking, you'll have to buy a combination of tickets if you wish to travel via London. That need not necessarily cost a lot more than the through fare, but it's certainly not something the average person would necessarily think of doing. There are split ticketing sites out there that will automatically determine the cheapest combination for your intended travel date and time.

Yeah, that's the problem, whether a guard argues the case or the machine won't accept the ticket.

I can buy a ticket via London for, say, Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich even though there's a direct service via Nottingham and Norwich is north of Wellingborough.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yeah, that's the problem, whether a guard argues the case or the machine won't accept the ticket.

I can buy a ticket via London for, say, Liverpool Lime Street to Norwich even though there's a direct service via Nottingham and Norwich is north of Wellingborough.
Don't try and look for any logic or consistency... we are talking about British rail fares, after all! :lol:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
In the zany planet that the railway occupies, asking N.R.E.S. for that journey provides, twice today, an itinerary via Leicester then the RRB to Market Harborough followed by the RRB Market Harborough to Kettering, and then Kettering to Wellingborough by train.
Trains today are diverted via Manton and do not call at Market Harborough but most Up trains from Leicester call at Wellingborough (because the Corby Electrics are cut back to Wellingborough).

kieron

Established Member
Just to confirm, you can get Runcorn-Wellingborough itineraries via London. On nre.co.uk, they appear if you leave Runcorn after 9pm today.

If you're going to Wellingborough town centre, a bus from Northampton may be worth considering. traveline.info suggests a Stagecoach X4.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

As others have said, the lack of (cross-London marker) maltese cross is a problem here.

The forums site will sell the itinerary you want, and will identify a combination of valid tickets; select the "flexible" tab at the top if you wish to ensure that you are only offered flexible fares, not Advances.

Status
Not open for further replies.