• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

running down the branches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metroland

Established Member
On recent visits to several stations i have noted on the main timetable notices very few connecting trains are now shown, how long has this been going on for and has there been a change of policy?

For example at cleethorpes, only a couple of trains are shown a day to lincoln, despite many more services being available changing at grimsby town. Likewise at bedford one service is shown per day to places like lincoln, wakefield, lincoln, melton etc even leeds when many more services are available changing.

Its probably a minor point, as many use nre and the web to check times. But how many occassional passengers are put off by at first glance an apparent lack of services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NSEFAN

Established Member
I wouldn't have thought it makes much of a difference. The local people will be familiar with the service, and anyone using the branch for the first time would have to do their homework anyway. I do agree that it is a bit misleading though. Having used rural services in France, most branches here have an excellent service by comparison!

button_boxer

Established Member
I would think that these days most occasional passengers' "first glance" wouldn't be at the printed timetable but more likely thetrainline.com, or if they have a bit more nous the NRE website, or maybe the website of their local TOC. Any of these would show all the connecting services.

Status
Not open for further replies.