• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Running Open BVE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phil8715

I've downloaded a couple of routes and traction but when I try to select s route and traction both files are blank.

I would imgaine I would have to copy or move the route files and traction files to the correct folder but not sure where I have move them to?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

phil8715

I made a folder on my desktop and put them all in there.

All the routes and trains and other files associated with the game.

Also can you play any of BVE sims through Open BVE or does it have be a specific Open BVE game?

T163R

I made a folder on my desktop and put them all in there.

All the routes and trains and other files associated with the game.

Also can you play any of BVE sims through Open BVE or does it have be a specific Open BVE game?

You need to create the Routes, Trains & Objects folders IN the Railway folder that should be IN the OPENBVE main folder.

Which routes & trains did you try ?

phil8715

Hst on the Sandymills Electric route. But i've downloaded ECML aswell. Do I have to download all traction for that route even if I dont actually use them?

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Hst on the Sandymills Electric route. But i've downloaded ECML aswell. Do I have to download all traction for that route even if I dont actually use them?

As for the latter, no, only the stock you will be driving in that scenario needs to be downloaded

But as per above, it needs to be in the right folder structure

phil8715

I've got the file extensions sorted out. When I start the game it tells me I have 543 issues.

The game loads I can see the cab controls but it's pitch black outside I can see a faint green signal and nothing else. The train is a day time train. The route is ECML using either an hst or the Deltic. Also none of the controls work.

You mentioned objects, do I need to install some? If so which ones? And where do I obtain them from?

I'm using an netbook computer not a desktop.

I've added 2 screen shots. The 1st one is the 543 issues and the 2nd is view from the cab window on the HST.

Attachments

• ScreenShot1 BVE Issue.docx
    138.3 KB · Views: 7
  • ScreenShot2 Cabshot.docx
    201.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

eezypeazy

ECML comes as a self-installer. If you had simply allowed it to place all the objects in the default folders, you would not be having these problems.

You will also need the BRSigs, formerly available at trainsimcentral. If you don't have a copy of these, please contact me.

Regards

eezypeazy

HST Power

Established Member
:lol:

Forgive me for saying this but I did laugh when I saw this thread, mainly because if you go back through the archives you will see my BVE thread, where I had exactly the same problems! :lol:

I did manage to get BVE installed in the end, and see the last of the infamous '500 Missing Errors' screen. You've got to follow the installation guide carefully, and properly. You can't just leave everything running haywire on the desktop, you need a proper structure of files. This can be time consuming, and annoying, but it is unfortunately the only way you'll ever get to play.

You need three subfolders in your BVE folder, titled 'Trains', 'Routes' and 'Objects.' Whenver you save a train, the train goes in the train folder. Whenever you download a route, it goes in the route folder. There needs to be a proper structure.

phil8715

HST Power:805728 said:
:lol:

Forgive me for saying this but I did laugh when I saw this thread, mainly because if you go back through the archives you will see my BVE thread, where I had exactly the same problems! :lol:

I did manage to get BVE installed in the end, and see the last of the infamous '500 Missing Errors' screen. You've got to follow the installation guide carefully, and properly. You can't just leave everything running haywire on the desktop, you need a proper structure of files. This can be time consuming, and annoying, but it is unfortunately the only way you'll ever get to play.

You need three subfolders in your BVE folder, titled 'Trains', 'Routes' and 'Objects.' Whenver you save a train, the train goes in the train folder. Whenever you download a route, it goes in the route folder. There needs to be a proper structure.

I did put the three sub folders into the main file with trains in trains routes in routes and so on.

I do need a copy of BR signals please Easypeasey.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here's where I am now.

I got Sandymill running with Class 47.

The problem I am having is with the games with self installers like Tyne Valley and ECML.

I would have though it automatically install to the correct file but it doesn't.

When I install such games what directory should they go in? I would thought it would go into the route file, it does but it still doesn't run when I try to run it.

causton

Established Member
Indeed, some of the installers assume your OpenBVE is in the same folder theirs is.

Let's assume your OpenBVE folder is at C:\Program Files\OpenBVE.

If you see in the installer for a route it says something like C:\Program Files\Mackoy\BVE just replace it with C:\Program Files\OpenBVE
Some will go straight to the route folder, and will say something like C:\Program Files\Games\OpenBVE\Routes (or \Trains, or \Objects etc)
If it does you need to make sure it says C:\Program Files\OpenBVE\Routes - remembering to keep the last folder name in!

phil8715

Indeed, some of the installers assume your OpenBVE is in the same folder theirs is.

Let's assume your OpenBVE folder is at C:\Program Files\OpenBVE.

If you see in the installer for a route it says something like C:\Program Files\Mackoy\BVE just replace it with C:\Program Files\OpenBVE
Some will go straight to the route folder, and will say something like C:\Program Files\Games\OpenBVE\Routes (or \Trains, or \Objects etc)
If it does you need to make sure it says C:\Program Files\OpenBVE\Routes - remembering to keep the last folder name in!

That's exactcly what I did, I changed it to install into my BVE open route folder.

guillyman

... and will say something like C:\Program Files\Games\OpenBVE\Routes (or \Trains, or \Objects etc)
The correct relative paths to the folders are:

..\Train
..\Object
..\Sound

That is without the "s" on the end. This is probably why so many errors are being thrown up, because the paths are incorrect. Take a look at the post about BVE Folder Structure just here:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15072

Status
Not open for further replies.