• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S stock (tube) mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Overheard a conversation saying met line s stock were returning to manufacturer for modifications in response to 'customer feedback'.
Anyone know what the mods consist of?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

samuelmorris

Established Member
IIRC they started this process some time ago (and are quite close to completion now, well over half of them have been and come back) primarily due to a manufacturing defect with the bogies, but whilst they were there, they were retrofitted with 378-style grabhandles (Which the S7 already have) because the handrails were considered too high up, which I have to say I'd agree with. If there's anything else they were doing, I'm all ears.

Re-entry to service post-mod dates are shown here: http://districtdavesforum.co.uk/thread/19782/s8-stock-deliveries-list

7181479249_129c122a4b_z.jpg

vs.
8402286257_e97db03539_z.jpg

Last edited:

user15681

Established Member
Do you mean the modifications that were being done soon after introduction of the S8s or is this another modification?

Back then there were some bogie problems as Samuelmorris says. There were also some cab adjustments, such as to the air conditioning and to radios that were a bit too loud.

bakerstreet

Thank you - not sure about details it was a conversation between a couple of staff so couldn't keep me ears too close !
I would love fewer announcements. I understand the reasons particularly for the blind or partially blind but going from A stock (no auto announcements) to S stock (wall to wall!) was a big change.

Dstock7080

Established Member
(hopefully this thread will be moved to the LU section)

The first S7 deliveries didn't have the strap-hangers either, all have been modified in London.
Also, the modifications to the cab air-con, train radio, cab seats, sun-blinds, TCMS software upgrade are all being done in London.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Have the S8s that went back to Derby had the brake release adjusted to behave like the S7s? I don't really know why they differ but the slow release used on the S8s has got to add 2-3 seconds of dwell time at every station. Granted that's not much, but over the course of the entire route it'll add up...

fgwrich

Established Member
Wasn't there another issue with the S8s which led to several of the shoes falling off in service on a few of the earlier units and issues with the wiring requiring replacement back in Litchurch Lane?

simple simon

I thought that the door open push buttons on the outside of the trains were not right? Not illuminated when enabled when they should have been?

Simon

Mikey C

Established Member
(hopefully this thread will be moved to the LU section)

The first S7 deliveries didn't have the strap-hangers either, all have been modified in London.
Also, the modifications to the cab air-con, train radio, cab seats, sun-blinds, TCMS software upgrade are all being done in London.

Why are the horizontal hand rails so high anyway? I'm tall, but they comfortably clear my head and are a real stretch to hold onto without the strap-hangers (which TfL/LT were previously very happy to get rid off when the older stock was refurbished!)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Why are the horizontal hand rails so high anyway? I'm tall, but they comfortably clear my head and are a real stretch to hold onto without the strap-hangers (which TfL/LT were previously very happy to get rid off when the older stock was refurbished!)
I am often clonking my head on the strap-hangers, and regularly see others getting hit by them, so if the handrails were any lower people would be bashing their heads into metal poles rather than soft and flexible plastic!

I, for one, hate the new strap-hangers because of this, and when on a quiet train I am sure to fold the strap hangers on top of the bar to avoid any incidents when standing up.

Mikey C

Established Member
I am often clonking my head on the strap-hangers, and regularly see others getting hit by them, so if the handrails were any lower people would be bashing their heads into metal poles rather than soft and flexible plastic!

I, for one, hate the new strap-hangers because of this, and when on a quiet train I am sure to fold the strap hangers on top of the bar to avoid any incidents when standing up.

I'm always hitting my head on the strap-hangers as well, and flinching as I expect the pain from hitting something solid.
The handrails are VERY high though, higher than those on the refurbished D stock for example, they could be several inches lower without causing head bashing for 99% of passengers

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
In the context of this thread, 'customer feedback' may be nothing to do with actual passengers as such. LU are Bombardier's customer here...

Status
Not open for further replies.