• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S8 , Pixel or iPhone SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sk688

Hi all

Need some help deciding which phones , out of the ones in the thread title , to get and so wondering if anyone on this forum can help

Any members who own the above three , could you kindly tell me what your experiences were like with that phone , and also any other decent alternatives
( under £700 ) please

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Hi all

Need some help deciding which phones , out of the ones in the thread title , to get and so wondering if anyone on this forum can help

Any members who own the above three , could you kindly tell me what your experiences were like with that phone , and also any other decent alternatives
( under £700 ) please

I've got the S8 at the moment. I rate the phone quite highly in terms of build quality and screen size. The screen itself has infinity display so it's almost edge to edge display.

Battery wise on the S8, I'm very impressed with it. After a good 14 hours after being taken off charge, I'm still sitting at 60-70% and that's with medium to heavy usage.

Lrd

Established Member
I've got the S8+ and love it. Great display, battery and camera and actually a decently skinned version of Android by Samsung compared to their previous skins and bloatware.

Pixel 2 is due to be announced soon so I would avoid the Pixel but have heard nothing but good things about it.

As for the iPhone, no comment.

J-2739

Established Member
Pixel is okay, but is pretty overpriced in my opinion. You'll get more out of the S8 for around the same price.

You can get the IPhone if you like IoS to Android and want a cleaner experience.

sk688

Thanks all for the replies so far

I'm leaning more towards the S8 , given what has been said so far

Do you really need such a powerful phone?

Not really , but I spend quite a lot of time on my phone , and I've also found that flagships do tend to last longer than mid rangers , in my experience anyway , when comparing a 5S , to the Huawei P8 Lite that I also had

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Out of the friends I have with IPhones 1 has it for work, another for ease of access and another coz he likes them but thats 3 or perhaps 4 out of 20 or so, perhaps 5 if I include 1 member of this forum but the remaning 20 or so are sick of theres and cannot wate to have rid of them.

Barn

Established Member
If the innards are more important than the shell, save yourself hundreds of pounds and get the OnePlus 5. It's plastic but powerful.

sk688

If the innards are more important than the shell, save yourself hundreds of pounds and get the OnePlus 5. It's plastic but powerful.

I know , I had a look at that , but it seems to have been beset by issues , as well as the fact that OnePlus don't have the best upgrade record

Barn

Established Member
I know , I had a look at that , but it seems to have been beset by issues , as well as the fact that OnePlus don't have the best upgrade record

My wife has one and I haven't noticed the 'jelly screen' issue at all. I have a OnePlus 3T and it'll receive the Android Oreo update.

It's up to you, but having used Google Nexus phones recently I would certainly struggle to justify spending £700 on a phone again, which is why I switched to OnePlus rather than Google Pixel.

On the phones you identified:

S8 - physically a very decent flagship, but make sure that you are happy with the Samsung user interface first. Personally I find it a bit bright and gaudy (almost childish in appearance) compared to stock Android.

Pixel - in my view probably the best of the bunch, but I would echo comments above. You don't want to spend that amount on a phone and then find that the Pixel 2 comes out shortly afterwards.

iPhone SE - this is a 4" phone so very different to the other two. Personally I would find it a bit small having experienced a larger screen. You are stuck on the Apple ecosystem (when Android is just getting better and better) and if you are interested in future updates I would be very wary about deliberately getting a phone based on previous-generation hardware.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's brain keeps processing the title of this thread as 'S-Bahn, pixel or iPhone South-East' :)

D365

Veteran Member
Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who's brain keeps processing the title of this thread as 'S-Bahn, pixel or iPhone South-East' :)

The Munich S8 is my favourite line. Samsung, on the other hand...

Regarding OP's question, I only tend to own Apple devices. Can agree with J-2739's comments though. The Pixel especially is poor, poor value, and more of an iPhone rip-off than Samsung has ever been.

sk688

My wife has one and I haven't noticed the 'jelly screen' issue at all. I have a OnePlus 3T and it'll receive the Android Oreo update.

It's up to you, but having used Google Nexus phones recently I would certainly struggle to justify spending £700 on a phone again, which is why I switched to OnePlus rather than Google Pixel.

On the phones you identified:

S8 - physically a very decent flagship, but make sure that you are happy with the Samsung user interface first. Personally I find it a bit bright and gaudy (almost childish in appearance) compared to stock Android.

Pixel - in my view probably the best of the bunch, but I would echo comments above. You don't want to spend that amount on a phone and then find that the Pixel 2 comes out shortly afterwards.

iPhone SE - this is a 4" phone so very different to the other two. Personally I would find it a bit small having experienced a larger screen. You are stuck on the Apple ecosystem (when Android is just getting better and better) and if you are interested in future updates I would be very wary about deliberately getting a phone based on previous-generation hardware.

Thanks for that , I will add both the 3T and 5 , to my list

Looking through reviews , the S8 UI seems much improved from the cartoonish UI on the S3 , and far better than the S7 too

I'm currently using a 5S , so an SE would feel pretty much the same

But I wonder , how big would the difference feel , when moving from a 5S , to a Pixel or S8 , with their large screens and bezels ( for the Pixel )

J-2739

Established Member
The Munich S8 is my favourite line. Samsung, on the other hand...

Regarding OP's question, I only tend to own Apple devices. Can agree with J-2739's comments though. The Pixel especially is poor, poor value, and more of an iPhone rip-off than Samsung has ever been.

At least we can agree with something! ;)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator

I'm in this dilemma too. I had a Nexus and it was the best phone I've ever had, at 2 years old it was still performing better than this year old Samsung...

Status
Not open for further replies.