• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

S8 stock seating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oh come on, Bombardier aren't that bad! The S stock don't rattle and for a start when I came down and rode on them they are much better than the other stock. Much cooler for a start and much brighter and more spacious than the C stock. The 2009 stock I haven't ridden but they seems pretty good too. The 172s from Bombardier are also proving to be excellent here in the Midlands and apart from very minor vibration of panels in low gears I wouldn't say build quality was a issue. Siemens have had problems before now (class 380s) and most new trains are going to have problems. So give Derby a break!

jon0844

Veteran Member
You haven't been on the new Victoria line trains? Please at least try some before saying we're all wrong and being unduly harsh!

I said they looked old already and the lack of a filter probably explains it. I've been on them a few times now and you can see the black dirt on the panels and presumably the hand rails, seats and flooring. That probably explains the dull look.

Try yourself. You can write messages with your fingers on the sills!

Now who is at fault for the filters not working though?

Dstock7080

Established Member
Trying to swerve this thread back towards its original subject, the first S7+1 21319+21320 has been delivered for the MET.
These 3 will be available once the first S8 is returned to Derby.

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Im hearing more talk & rumours of problems with the S Stock from Derby again. Already we know that the figure of returning S8s back to Derby will be 37 trains heading back for modifications, but im now hearing the S7s may be heading that way too. (Not sure how many may have problems, but that's what im now hearing.)

Also hearing another rumour / talk suggesting one certain manufacturer is being less than helpful in rectifying faults & issues arising with new rolling stock and that a public naming and shaming by Boris Johnson potentially isn't far off unless things improve. Now, You were saying about giving Derby a break?

(Just to let you know, if i went out and brought a new car and then almost immediately found faults with it, i wouldn’t expect the company to suggest i bring the car back to the factory for rectifying - in some cases at my own expense & engineering expertise.)

NSE

Established Member
Just like to say, I commute daily on the Victoria Line and I'm a fan of the stock. The noises it makes, the way it rides and just the whole line in general :)

Nym

Established Member
Just like to say, I commute daily on the Victoria Line and I'm a fan of the stock. The noises it makes, the way it rides and just the whole line in general :)

Just don't go near the top of the vertical handrails as you'll get dirty hands because the filters don't work?

I still tend to avoid the vic by using the Northern Line... much less congested

Perhaps I was wrong in this case. I'll modify to; no problems with mainline stock!

D365

Veteran Member
They had massive problems with 357s, right? I've only been on a 2009 from Finsbury to H&I, wasn't anything special like the "Evo Stock" that had been proposed at first.

More problems with S Stock? Could at least some of the A Stock make a return?

fgwrich

Established Member
They had massive problems with 357s, right? I've only been on a 2009 from Finsbury to H&I, wasn't anything special like the "Evo Stock" that had been proposed at first.

More problems with S Stock? Could at least some of the A Stock make a return?

Doubt there's many 'A's left to bring back into temporay service.

As for the EVO Stock - That's Siemens's proposed new revolutionary stock. Sure the front looks odd and appears to have been glued onto a 96 stock body, but Siemens seem to have done enough of the facts and figures to make it work - including Air Conditioning (without removing filters!).

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...unveils-london-underground-concept-train.html

Siemens unveils London Underground concept train

20 June 2011

UK: A design concept for a next-generation train for London Underground’s small-profile ‘tube’ lines was unveiled by Siemens during the Railtex exhibition.

Building on its successful role in supplying replacement bogies for Central Line and Waterloo & City Line stock, Siemens was asked by LU to develop a ‘concept train’ for the next round of replacement stock which will in due course be needed for the Piccadilly and Bakerloo lines.

When LU last tendered for replacement trains for the Piccadilly Line, Siemens did not submit a bid – and indeed on that occasion the plans did not proceed. Now, however, according to Friedrich Timmer, Project Manager for Rolling Stock in the Mobility Division at Siemens, ‘we believe London Underground is ready for the next generation of trains’.

Comparing the concept train with the Bombardier stock now entering service on the Victoria Line, Siemens said that the future design would offer a 30 tonne weight saving with 11% more capacity. Featuring wide gangways between cars, the trains would be 30% more energy-efficient; even if air-conditioning were fitted, the trains would be 17% more energy-efficient, said Timmer.

Siemens has developed the concept as the basis of a product family adaptable for use on different LU lines. The design includes what Siemens terms an ‘iconic’ front end that it hopes may one day become a London landmark.

Timmer expects prequalification for the next-generation train procurement process to start in 2012.

D365

Veteran Member

I mean, any remaining (i.e. not scrapped) examples be bought back into service? I don't suppose BBBBoris would be very happy, plus it would be quite expensive I presume.

[QUOYE]As for the EVO Stock - That's Siemens's proposed new revolutionary stock. Sure the front looks odd and appears to have been glued onto a 96 stock body, but Siemens seem to have done enough of the facts and figures to make it work - including Air Conditioning (without removing filters!).

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...unveils-london-underground-concept-train.html[/QUOTE]

I thought "Evo" was the general name for the project, not any specific type of train. It just happens that only Siemens (who have not supplied trainsets for TfL) are the only company to have revealed their concept.

TheVicLine

As for the EVO Stock - That's Siemens's proposed new revolutionary stock. Sure the front looks odd and appears to have been glued onto a 96 stock body, but Siemens seem to have done enough of the facts and figures to make it work - including Air Conditioning (without removing filters!).

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/...unveils-london-underground-concept-train.html

Not sure about the Bakerloo Line, the Bakerloo stock replacement has now been put back to 2035 so maybe LU will re-think that one.

Nym

Established Member
Not sure about the Bakerloo Line, the Bakerloo stock replacement has now been put back to 2035 so maybe LU will re-think that one.

Wouldn't expect anything new on the Picc until at least then then, unless the disjointed nature of privatisation still sits long and results in TL (JNP) being able to order their new stock for the picc, leaving the bakerloo (BCV) with older kit...

Status
Not open for further replies.