• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Safeguarding officer

Established Member
Yes there are statistics. The system all mainline Railway Undertakings report into (SMIS) is managed by RSSB, here's a link to the publicly accessible RSSB SMIS front page https://www.rssb.co.uk/safety-and-h...ligence/safety-management-intelligence-system. So yes, the TOC can and almost certainly does have a good understanding of the risk for each station they manage.

There is also quite a sophisticated understanding in the industry of the sort of characteristics that attract people in such a state of mind. The Samaritans works with the rail sector on this issue and (I am told by someone who was trained by them) their experience is that small interventions such as someone asking "Can I help you?" or seeing a sign offering help may be enough to bring someone in that state of mind back from the brink- apparently the state of mind doesn't always last that long. Having the confidence to engage can be life-saving.

TPO

This is also how decisions such as where to invest in suicide fences are taken. The data isn’t widely publicised because knowledge of hotspots can produce copycat attempts, as has been statistically proven.

I'd be interested to know what training they are given and the red flags to look out for. Also, are they paid or volunteers?

Very much a paid role.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GordonT

As a layperson I'd say that for me "Safeguarding Officer" has the virtue of having overtones of someone potentially focussed upon providing reassurance to vulnerable folk as well as providing a safer environment for passengers generally, whilst "Security Officer" or "Security Guard" is more suggestive of a night-club bouncer or supermarket shoplifter chaser with fairly limited interest or training in engaging with the vulnerable. The latter will perhaps score in providing law-abiding punters with grim satisfaction by bringing miscreants to book.

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Yes there are statistics. The system all mainline Railway Undertakings report into (SMIS) is managed by RSSB, here's a link to the publicly accessible RSSB SMIS front page https://www.rssb.co.uk/safety-and-h...ligence/safety-management-intelligence-system. So yes, the TOC can and almost certainly does have a good understanding of the risk for each station they manage.

I didn't think SMIS logged fatality data. The last few at.my TOC were certainly at stations that have no history. I might request access and have a look over some of the data.

Appreciate the link.

Com.

TPO

SMIS logs a lot of stuff.... certain SoL events, T&V, all sorts.

It has widened in scope and become much easier to use in recent years.

TPO

that1giox

I was speaking to a safeguarding officer at Rugby the other day, we were on about how it's a pretty new "job title" and he basically said, it's not anything new and is just a glorified way of saying "security guard". He said his job wasn't anything particular, such as the sense of suicide prevention which was mentioned earlier on in the thread and his job role actually used to be a security guard. He also mentioned the fact that they took him under a staff briefing about something, however he said he wasn't allowed to say.

But to sum it all up it doesn't seem to be any sort of new role and is just a new way of saying "security" it is most likely due to something to do with suicide, as the definition of safeguarding is "protect from harm or damage with an appropriate measure." and at the time of writing this someone got hit by a train between BHM and COV today anyways. (Clearly can't be doing their job that well...)

sot

Three Bridges seems to have something similar, most if not all times I've been there during the day there's been a "welfare officer" in a grey jacket patrolling the platforms. Always the same guy too, although I guess in theory it could just be a security guard as per above...
It amused me greatly that I know EXACTLY the chap you are referring to.

Also I did have quite a lot of chats with an Avanti safeguarding officer, he seemed to say that they would be around to a variety of stations, same guy was gateline though on some late evenings at Stoke station.

The issue with Longport and Stone is that they are not AWC managed stations so I doubt they can overtly 'police' them.

Is Longport the same TOC as Kidsgrove? East Midlands? Or is it WestMids/LNR?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A large part of safeguarding, in the general usage of the word, is the protection of vulnerable children and adults.

I would suggest that these officers are looking for (as OP suggested) vulnerable individuals who pose a risk to themselves, but also children at risk of exploitation (such as county lines trafficking).
I highly doubt that the latter category would be considered part of their duties for all sorts of reasons. I'd suggest if county lines trafficking was suspected then a call to BTP would be the appropriate action.

david l

Some based at Wigan North Western. However, seem to spend most of the time congregated together. Seems strange as there is a BTP office on the station.

Western Sunset

Established Member
When I talked with one of these guys at South Kenton some years ago, I got the impression that their role was different from just "Security".Think his patch was between Euston and Watford.

Really nice chap; got a picture of him with a Pendolino passing in the background. He was quite happy for me to post it on social media if I wanted, to spread the word about the work they do proactively checking the welfare of passengers.

Murray J

Bwahaha doesn't surprise me that someone does. With three bridges being a pretty well-used station and all it doesn't surprise me to see a permanent welfare & trespass officer patrolling.

Deafdoggie

Established Member

Also I did have quite a lot of chats with an Avanti safeguarding officer, he seemed to say that they would be around to a variety of stations, same guy was gateline though on some late evenings at Stoke station.

The issue with Longport and Stone is that they are not AWC managed stations so I doubt they can overtly 'police' them.

Is Longport the same TOC as Kidsgrove? East Midlands? Or is it WestMids/LNR?
Longport is EMR. Even though they don't really stop any more! Stone is WMR and Barlaston is...well Central Trains was the last TOC to stop there!

I didn't think SMIS logged fatality data. The last few at.my TOC were certainly at stations that have no history. I might request access and have a look over some of the data.

Appreciate the link.

Com.
I guess it's possible if you step up presense somewhere to stop it, you move the problem elsewhere. Barlaston & Wedgwood went through a very problematic stage, but there's CCTV on and around the platforms and crossing and access points and it has dropped off a lot. But now there's been a couple at Longport.

ETA The platforms at Wedgwood & Barlaston are fenced off. But, obviously, the level crossings remain open.

Established Member
Bwahaha doesn't surprise me that someone does. With three bridges being a pretty well-used station and all it doesn't surprise me to see a permanent welfare & trespass officer patrolling.
I had a chat with someone at South Croydon working in the same role back in January.

He approached me as I came up the stairs as he'd clocked me getting off a Southbound service and was then heading back North. I suppose that's unusual as it's not a typical Interchange.

He made sure I was ok, and knew where I was going then we had a good chat about the railway, pubs, real ale and all sorts. A properly friendly, pro active and approachable member of staff. And it wasn't just me, he made a point of greeting everyone who came onto the platform, which the vast majority (out of a sample of about 8 admittedly!) Seemed to genuinely appreciate.

Murray J

I had a chat with someone at South Croydon working in the same role back in January.

He approached me as I came up the stairs as he'd clocked me getting off a Southbound service and was then heading back North. I suppose that's unusual as it's not a typical Interchange.

He made sure I was ok, and knew where I was going then we had a good chat about the railway, pubs, real ale and all sorts. A properly friendly, pro active and approachable member of staff. And it wasn't just me, he made a point of greeting everyone who came onto the platform, which the vast majority (out of a sample of about 8 admittedly!) Seemed to genuinely appreciate.
That's pretty good to hear, sounds to me like they're pretty effective.

Chriso

Sounds better than most Southern barrier staff in South London who all seem to disappear in to the ticket/back office after 19:00 leaving the wide gate open and rendering their entire employment pointless. GTR revenue management seem extremely weak in this area compared to their counterparts

TheSmiths82

I would imagine given its location that Stafford station might be a hot spot for county lines trafficking given it is within easy distance of Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham. While I am sure that is not the main reason there are there, I assume it would be a major part of it. It is a much bigger problem that you might think.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
Here in Greater Manchester I've often seen "Travel Safe" individuals (I won't call them "officers") both on the platform and trains. Apart from a visual presence, not the foggiest what they can/can't do. I assume they can't look at my ticket and have no powers of arrest - other than the same as we do - and probably can't detain anyone. They do seem to carry an awful lot in their pockets, wonder what they are? Shouldn't be handcuffs and pepper spray, they aren't cops, least of all BTP's, so probably a phone, some chewing gum and a mars bar??

But if they can identify and obnoxious individual and at least tell them off or contact the police, that's something.
Some security guards are allowed to carry cuffs if they have proper training , insurance and authorisation

Established Member

It sounds like that person is doing an exemplary job by proactively approaching someone whose behaviour is untypical, eg waiting at an unusual part of the platform, or remaining on the platform despite several trains passing. All staff - and for that matter anyone else who is concerned - should be prepared to ask someone if they’re okay, and indeed I’ve done so myself a couple of times when not at work. It might just prevent a tragic death, a bereaved family, and a traumatised driver.

Of course this kind of “unusual” behaviour is perfectly standard for enthusiasts, who may be spotting or photting, so the sight of a camera is often quite reassuring!

Established Member
It sounds like that person is doing an exemplary job by proactively approaching someone whose behaviour is untypical, eg waiting at an unusual part of the platform, or remaining on the platform despite several trains passing. All staff - and for that matter anyone else who is concerned - should be prepared to ask someone if they’re okay, and indeed I’ve done so myself a couple of times when not at work. It might just prevent a tragic death, a bereaved family, and a traumatised driver.

Of course this kind of “unusual” behaviour is perfectly standard for enthusiasts, who may be spotting or photting, so the sight of a camera is often quite reassuring!
Indeed.

Politely asked if I was ok and knew where I was going, mentioning he'd seen me getting off the southbound train. He seemed to be exactly the right type of person to be doing that job, friendly, approachable, proactive. Exemplary really is the word.