• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SailRail and Weekend First

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjoanes

Hello,

I am currently on the 06:05 Euston to Glasgow train en route to Belfast using a SailRail ticket and, as we planned to, have upgraded using Weekend First.
Whilst I don't mind paying the upgrade charge, I wouldn't like to do so unnecessarily and last night I noticed that nationalrail.co.uk says:
On weekends and Bank Holidays, upgrades to First Class on Virgin Trains is free of charge if holding a Standard Class Anytime ticket by approaching the Train Manager.

When I asked the guard about this, he insisted that that was only for "full-fare" anytime tickets. The tickets we have are clearly marked "std anytime"; does anyone know how to find out which ones are full-fare tickets?

Of course, it is rather annoying after paying the upgrade charge to find that there are will be no hot drinks available on the train!

Thanks, - pjoanes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry for starting this thread, the train wifi didn't finish loading the previous "submit" page.
This post is a duplicate of http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36021

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Well it is classed as an anytime return in Avantix Traveller whilst the Holyhead and Fishguard ones are classed as economy returns.

It seems to me that some TOC's get a little irritated with people asking for/ using these as they are such good value and thus try and restrict you further than they should, for example when I took ferry to Belfast NI my local ticket office were quite adamant that a, I couldn't by it on the day as there was no way to make a reservation and, that is was not valid via London even though the Maltese cross was present, but when I asked in the travel centre at Waterloo I was told the exact opposite in that the ticket was only valid via London and no other route, nor was either member of staff inclined to look up the restrictions despite my repeated requests.

Oh and having been unable to make a reservation from Euston I was a bit worried about overcrowding and Waterloo actually refused to look and see if there was another route which would enable me to catch the ferry, this was apparently due the fact that the trains don't run from Waterloo and before they could tell me I needed to tell them which route I needed to go - that was infect what I wanted to know and if I knew the answer I wouldn’t need to ask. :roll:

Nightrider

Hello,

I am currently on the 06:05 Euston to Glasgow train en route to Belfast using a SailRail ticket and, as we planned to, have upgraded using Weekend First.
Whilst I don't mind paying the upgrade charge, I wouldn't like to do so unnecessarily and last night I noticed that nationalrail.co.uk says:

When I asked the guard about this, he insisted that that was only for "full-fare" anytime tickets. The tickets we have are clearly marked "std anytime"; does anyone know how to find out which ones are full-fare tickets?

Of course, it is rather annoying after paying the upgrade charge to find that there are will be no hot drinks available on the train!

Thanks, - pjoanes.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sorry for starting this thread, the train wifi didn't finish loading the previous "submit" page.
This post is a duplicate of http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36021

From the M6 at Carlisle to Stranraer its roughly a hundred miles plus its 85 miles from Glasgow to Stranraer, it,s a bit longer from Glasgow by rail than road, so at least a 100 miles is lost to a passenger plus the changeover time and travel time.
Why does Ireland seem to be the most awkward place in Western Europe to get to by anything other than a aeroplane.
I,ve seen timetables from a hundred years back and we are no quicker in travelling to Ireland by rail now than then.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Are VT train Managers on commission? I am aware some within the rail industry
are on commission for tickets/uplifts sold.

There are too many offers around that appear not to be honoured, or so it would seem.

As for difficulty to Ireland, I take it the op is referring to Scots area, as Holyhead has a better service,with more sailings.

M

Nightrider

Sure at one time there was a Euston to Stranraer sleeper train that went via Dumfries/Kilmarnock/Ayr.

Status
Not open for further replies.