• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Salisbury to Wimbledon not via London help

nikkinoo

Good morning
I’m travelling Salisbury to Wimbledon. I chose a train in via Woking and home via Waterloo and bought my ticket. My suggested/optional route on the e-ticket shows the home journey via a change at Waterloo but also says “not via London”. So can I take the journey it’s stated there or not? It would save me around a hour journey home as otherwise I have to come back via Clapham, then Woking, then Basingstoke to Salisbury.
Thank you for any help or advice. Also hoping a guard will walk through on this mornings train as I can ask them so I’ll delete post or advise if I resolve locally.
Nikki

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    720.9 KB · Views: 63
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nikkinoo

Hi. I bought via the SWR app. Chose the times I wanted to travel and booked the ticket.
Who sold you this ticket, out of interest?

Guard on this train wasn’t sure. He said it was the quicker route to go via Waterloo but if I wanted to avoid it I could go via Clapham/woking etc. therefore not really answering my actual question.
I asked SWR help on twitter and they said “I would advise to speak to the guard as this could be a mistake on the booking. It is quicker to go up to Waterloo then take a fast service to Salisbury”
So I guess I’ll try a guard on my next train ‍♀️

Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Normally quicker to change at Clapham (but at peak times fast trains skip it), sometimes quicker to to change at Woking and Surbiton.

My understanding is not via London excludes changing at Waterloo (and Vauxhall), although in practice can physically change provided you stay between buffers and gatelines at Waterloo.

nikkinoo

Normally quicker to change at Clapham (but at peak times fast trains skip it), sometimes quicker to to change at Woking and Surbiton.

My understanding is not via London excludes changing at Waterloo (and Vauxhall), although in practice can physically change provided you stay between buffers and gatelines at Waterloo.
Yeah that’s what I did yesterday but it was just a couple of really tight turnarounds as also had to do Basingstoke too so a few mins delay meant I added half hour wait on. I was just hoping to do the waterloo as a simpler option if I could.
Thank you though. Appreciate the replies.

JBuchananGB

I believe it to be the case that if an accredited ticket selling site or app sells you a ticket with an itinerary, and you stick to the itinerary, then the journey is valid.

nikkinoo

I believe it to be the case that if an accredited ticket selling site or app sells you a ticket with an itinerary, and you stick to the itinerary, then the journey is valid.
Thank you. That was my hope too. And that the not via London part perhaps just applies to my outward journey this morning?
Fingers crossed

mangyiscute

Established Member
Thank you. That was my hope too. And that the not via London part perhaps just applies to my outward journey this morning?
Fingers crossed
The not via London part applies to both outbound and return, I expect whats happened is a slight issue with the journey planner so it suggests that this route is valid on this ticket when it actually isn't.
However, as mentioned if a ticket site sells you the ticket for this itinerary, you have a contract now so you are allowed to travel via that itinerary.
I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is fixed in the coming days to prevent this ticket being offered for a journey via Waterloo

nikkinoo

The not via London part applies to both outbound and return, I expect whats happened is a slight issue with the journey planner so it suggests that this route is valid on this ticket when it actually isn't.
However, as mentioned if a ticket site sells you the ticket for this itinerary, you have a contract now so you are allowed to travel via that itinerary.
I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is fixed in the coming days to prevent this ticket being offered for a journey via Waterloo
Well I’m going to give it a go today! I agree that it probably will be fixed on the app soon. Thanks again, everyone here have been very helpful!