• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Same loco into 3 or more different London termini

CW2

Established Member
Following a conversation the other day,I wondered how many different locos I've had into 3 or more different London termini.
To make it realistic:
* Only service trains count (i.e. not buffer puffer railtours and the like)
* All London stations main line stations with terminal platforms are valid

Once I delved into the archives, the answers were a bit of a surprise to me.

55022 at Liverpool Street, Kings Cross, Paddington
90022 at Euston, St Pancras, Kings Cross
90042 at Euston, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street

I had expected that some class 47s would feature, especially the NSE examples, but surprisingly that was not the case. (If I had been setting out to achieve this goal, then spending time doing 47s out of Liverpool Street before the Norwich electrification was completed would have made the task relatively easy, but alternative motive power was always more attractive).

An honourable mention must go to 50038, which I had at Kings Cross and Waterloo, but never managed to have into Paddington. (I joined the Up Midnight at Plymouth with 50038 on the front one morning, but they changed locos at Bristol, so I never reached Paddington with it).

So which locos have you had into 3 or more London termini, and what's the story behind them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

On Moderation
Following a conversation the other day,I wondered how many different locos I've had into 3 or more different London termini.
To make it realistic:

I had expected that some class 47s would feature, especially the NSE examples, but surprisingly that was not the case. (If I had been setting out to achieve this goal, then spending time doing 47s out of Liverpool Street before the Norwich electrification was completed would have made the task relatively easy, but alternative motive power was always more attractive).

An honourable mention must go to 50038, which I had at Kings Cross and Waterloo, but never managed to have into Paddington. (I joined the Up Midnight at Plymouth with 50038 on the front one morning, but they changed locos at Bristol, so I never reached Paddington with it).

So which locos have you had into 3 or more London termini, and what's the story behind them?
There’s HST power cars that could easily have done four terminals (Paddington, King’s Cross, St. Pancras, Euston) and potentially also Waterloo and Marylebone on diversions/Eurostar Link trains.

The exile

Established Member
To make it realistic:

So what service trains took the Deltic into Liverpool Street and Paddington? I assume the 90 at St Pancras was on those diverted Liverpools that were dragged Bedford - Nuneaton. Genuinely interested - not challenging. I doubt I’ve got any with 3. If I have it’ll be one of the NSE 47s Waterloo, Paddington and Marylebone.

CW2

Established Member
There’s HST power cars that could easily have done four terminals (Paddington, King’s Cross, St. Pancras, Euston) and potentially also Waterloo and Marylebone on diversions/Eurostar Link trains.
If you add HST power cars into the mix, at a quick trawl I can come up with:
43069 Waterloo, KX, Paddington
43084 Euston, KX, Paddington
43094 Euston, KX, Paddington
43097 Waterloo, KX, Paddington
43098 Euston, KX, Paddington
43102 Euston, KX, Paddington
43121 Euston, KX, Paddington
43159 St Pancras, KX, Paddington

I never had an HST in or out of Marylebone, and didn't manage 4 termini with any of them.
So what service trains took the Deltic into Liverpool Street and Paddington? I assume the 90 at St Pancras was on those diverted Liverpools that were dragged Bedford - Nuneaton. Genuinely interested - not challenging. I doubt I’ve got any with 3. If I have it’ll be one of the NSE 47s Waterloo, Paddington and Marylebone.
55022 worked the 09:06 Paddington to Birmingham on Wednesday 23/07/97. As far as I recall, it wasn't a pre-advertised "fix" but a genuine loco shortage on the day.
As for Liverpool Street, on Tuesday 12/01/99 the Anglia fleet of 86s was in a sorry state, so they hired in 86416 from Freightliner to work the Norwich route. Unfortunately (?) the 86 wasn't equipped with TDM equipment, and so was unable to work push-pull with the DBSO. So 55022 was also hired in to work top and tail with the 86/4.

Yes the St Pancras with 90022 was one of the Nuneaton diversions in 1991. It was very much a fluke, as no 90s were diagrammed to work, but an 86 failure saw the 90 turning up as a surprise bonus.

The exile

Established Member
If you add HST power cars into the mix, at a quick trawl I can come up with:
43069 Waterloo, KX, Paddington
43084 Euston, KX, Paddington
43094 Euston, KX, Paddington
43097 Waterloo, KX, Paddington
43098 Euston, KX, Paddington
43102 Euston, KX, Paddington
43121 Euston, KX, Paddington
43159 St Pancras, KX, Paddington

I never had an HST in or out of Marylebone, and didn't manage 4 termini with any of them.

55022 worked the 09:06 Paddington to Birmingham on Wednesday 23/07/97. As far as I recall, it wasn't a pre-advertised "fix" but a genuine loco shortage on the day.
As for Liverpool Street, on Tuesday 12/01/99 the Anglia fleet of 86s was in a sorry state, so they hired in 86416 from Freightliner to work the Norwich route. Unfortunately (?) the 86 wasn't equipped with TDM equipment, and so was unable to work push-pull with the DBSO. So 55022 was also hired in to work top and tail with the 86/4.

Yes the St Pancras with 90022 was one of the Nuneaton diversions in 1991. It was very much a fluke, as no 90s were diagrammed to work, but an 86 failure saw the 90 turning up as a surprise bonus.
And you managed to be on them all - lucky so-and-so !

mike57

Established Member
Would some class 31s qualify, Kings Cross, Moorgate and Liverpool Street? assuming you count the old Moorgate, it has terminus plaforms.

CW2

Established Member
Would some class 31s qualify, Kings Cross, Moorgate and Liverpool Street? assuming you count the old Moorgate, it has terminus plaforms.
Yes I would think so, but Moorgate loco hauled was before my time. Any offers?

The exile

Established Member
They certainly ought to. Might that raise the bar to 4 as there were services off the GN into Broad Street as well - though I don’t know if hauled in the diesel era.

Harvester

Established Member
They certainly ought to. Might that raise the bar to 4 as there were services off the GN into Broad Street as well - though I don’t know if hauled in the diesel era.
A3 60112 St Simon meets the four London terminal category, towards the end of its BR career, and after the steam ban south of Hitchin.

25/8/63 Waterloo-Weymouth (special)
29/11/63 18:12 Kings Cross-York/Hull (passenger)
7/12/64 Derby-St Pancras (morning parcels)
7/12/64 20:38 Marylebone-Nottingham Vic (parcels)

6Gman

Established Member
There were probably Battle of Britain Pacifics that worked into Charing Cross, Cannon Street and Victoria while on the SE Division, and then into Waterloo after transfer to the SW Division? Also King Arthurs? Various LM locos may have worked into Euston, Broad Street and St Pancras (possibly also Marylebone and/or Fenchurch Street?).

APT618S

A lot of 73s presumably have worked into Waterloo, Victoria and London Bridge (the terminal side). Would there have been any passenger workings into Charing Cross, Cannon St and Holborn Viaduct (before it was closed) making a possibility of 6 terminals ?

eastwestdivide

Established Member
33s worked out of Waterloo, London Bridge (E Grinstead/Uckfield peak trains), probably Victoria on the very early morning papers with passenger accommodation, although those were mostly 73s, and in the mid 1980s a 33 had a booked turn into Paddington on a FO train from Exeter/Plymouth. I rode that from Westbury and have a photo on arrival at Paddington.

Last edited:

62484GlenLyon

I can go back to the 1960s when I lived in Hertfordshire and had family connections in South Wales. Later I commuted for several years into St.Pancras and then Kings Cross during the 1970s and 1980s when loco haulage was common on both routes.

15/8/70, as 1593 - Paddington - Reading, as 47467 - 5/1/75 Stevenage - Kings Cross, 25/10/78 St.Pancras - Wellingborough.

24/7/65, as D1585, Paddington - Cardiff, 6/3/82 Kings Cross - Sandy on 02.15 SUN Kings Cross to Peterborough, 31/12/83 Liverpool St. - Manningtree.

In more recent times I have enjoyed 90034 several times Euston to Birmingham and back in 2014, Liverpool St. Norwich and back 12/8/16, Kings Cross - Newark and back on 24/7/17. These moves were pure bashing moves.

Magdalia

Established Member
The GN had hauled trains to/from Broad Street until May 1969 and Moorgate until November 1976, in addition to Kings Cross. All of the tripcock fitted Finsbury Park class 31s would have worked all three, though most will be undocumented.

Various tripcock fitted locos will have added Liverpool Street, Paddington and sometimes St Pancras to that list, so there will be at least some class 31s that have visited 6 London termini in passenger service. D5591, later 31420, is a certainty for this, having been new to Finsbury Park and also allocated to Stratford, Cricklewood and Old Oak Common.

Last edited:

Rescars

The GN had hauled trains to/from Broad Street until May 1969 and Moorgate until November 1976. All of the tripcock fitted Finsbury Park class 31s would have worked all three, though most will be undocumented.

Various tripcock fitted locos will have added Liverpool Street, Paddington and sometimes St Pancras to that list, so there will be at least some class 31s that have visited 6 London termini in passenger service. D5591, later 31420, is a certainty for this, having been new to Finsbury Park and also allocated to Stratford, Cricklewood and Old Oak Common.
31s worked Paddington - Worcester - Hereford amongst others following the demise of the Hymeks.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sort of related is the fact that 87002 might be unique in all of the AC Loco fleet to have worked under its own power into no less than five London termini:

Euston - throughout its working career on the WCML
Paddington - GBRF Railtour in September 2018
St Pancras - Diverted WCML services in October 1991
Kings Cross - on various railtours and diverted Caledonian sleeper ECS
Liverpool St - GSM-R Test train in November 2010

CW2

Established Member
33s worked out of Waterloo, London Bridge (E Grinstead/Uckfield peak trains), probably Victoria on the very early morning papers with passenger accommodation, although those were mostly 73s, and in the mid 1980s a 33 had a booked turn into Paddington on a FO train from Exeter/Plymouth. I rode that from Westbury and have a photo on arrival at Paddington.
I didn't do a great deal on the Southern, except when travelling to or from the Continent, so I haven't got any 33s or 73s at 3 London termini.
The best I can do is 73103 which I had at Victoria and Waterloo, which then became 73968 which I've had to Fort William, Inverness and Aberdeen!

The 33 turn from Plymouth was the 16:10 Plymouth - Paddington Fridays Only, which I did throughout with 33032 in 1985.

I tended to avoid class 31s if I could manage it, so my runs with them at London termini are quite limited. Wasn't there some Fridays Only service out of St Pancras that was booked for a pair of 31s for a while? I vaguely recollect going to cover it and finding a Peak on the train, so giving up in disgust.

Of course, going back to steam times, the loco exchanges in 1948 would have involved the same locos working in or out of various London termini, on service trains, either under test conditions or as positioning moves for trials in e.g. Scotland.
Wikipedia Link

Veteran Member
There were probably Battle of Britain Pacifics that worked into Charing Cross, Cannon Street and Victoria while on the SE Division, and then into Waterloo after transfer to the SW. Also King Arthurs?
And Schools and (probably) Standard 5s. All but the last would have worked into London Br and Victoria Central too.
I don't think any of the older Maunsell classes would have visited so many, though it was theoretically possible at times - and ISTR Drummond T9s worked on all 3 sections pre WW2.

A lot of 73s presumably have worked into Waterloo, Victoria and London Bridge (the terminal side). Would there have been any passenger workings into Charing Cross, Cannon St and Holborn Viaduct (before it was closed) making a possibility of 6 terminals ?
Holborn had the 0300 papers well into the electric era so yes, but not CX/CS. 33s similarly.

None of this is from personal experience as per the OP, mind you.

6Gman

Established Member
Of course, going back to steam times, the loco exchanges in 1948 would have involved the same locos working in or out of various London termini, on service trains, either under test conditions or as positioning moves for trials in e.g. Scotland.
Wikipedia Link
And on various occasions when Bulleid Pacifics fell to bits (which wasn't unusual) other locos were drafted in - B1s in Kent, V2s on the Bournemouth Belle ! - so that would open up some interesting possibilities.

Magdalia

Established Member
Britannias do seven London termini with Liverpool Street, Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, Marylebone, Paddington and Victoria.

But no single loco will have done all of them.

D6130

Established Member
Britannias do seven London termini with Liverpool Street, Kings Cross, St Pancras, Euston, Marylebone, Paddington and Victoria.
....and also Waterloo for a brief period in the late 1950s. I've seen more than one photo in various books of 70009 'Alfred the Great' departing Waterloo or passing Vauxhall on the Bournemouth Belle.

Harvester

Established Member
....and also Waterloo for a brief period in the late 1950s. I've seen more than one photo in various books of 70009 'Alfred the Great' departing Waterloo or passing Vauxhall on the Bournemouth Belle.
Also 70002 Geoffrey Chaucer spent some days at Nine Elms in May 1966 after arriving on the SR with a troop train. It worked out of Waterloo during it’s stay.

But no single loco will have done all of them.
The 'Golden Arrow' loco 70014 'Iron Duke' might have done most of them. It is known that it worked the 'Belle' and other Bournemouth expresses on a few occasions out of Waterloo. As a Trafford Park asset it worked to St. Pancras (and once notably parted company with its tender at Cheadle Heath on an up express). It was also based at Willesden for a time and when brand new very briefly at Norwich.

Taunton

Established Member
In the days before the GN electrification, suburban trains ran into Kings Cross, Moorgate and Broad Street, and it was quite likely for a loco to run into all three within one day, and GN commuters to The City would likely also visit all three regularly.

Similarly on the Southern, in days when the SUB units ran all suburban services, they were treated as a common pool, and there were some diagrams that ran on all three divisions within one day, transferring from Western to Central services at Dorking or Horsham, and later from Central to Eastern at Blackfriars, among other points. I wonder if there was an ultra-gricer who managed to ride such a unit all day.

Doomotron

Most of the Southeastern fleet would count as Victoria, Charing Cross, Cannon Street, London Bridge and London Blackfriars are served by them. At minimum this would mean all 375s and 465s would count, but I assume that the rest of the non-HS fleet would count but to a lesser extent.

The exile

Established Member
Most of the Southeastern fleet would count as Victoria, Charing Cross, Cannon Street, London Bridge and London Blackfriars are served by them. At minimum this would mean all 375s and 465s would count, but I assume that the rest of the non-HS fleet would count but to a lesser extent.
Note that the question was about locomotives that anyone has actually had into (or, I assume, out of) 3 or more termini - which restricts the field significantly.

Magdalia

Established Member
The 'Golden Arrow' loco 70014 'Iron Duke' might have done most of them. It is known that it worked the 'Belle' and other Bournemouth expresses on a few occasions out of Waterloo. As a Trafford Park asset it worked to St. Pancras (and once notably parted company with its tender at Cheadle Heath on an up express). It was also based at Willesden for a time and when brand new very briefly at Norwich.
I did wonder whether 70014 would get the longest list, but I didn't know that it worked at Liverpool Street or Waterloo. On the other hand it did have brief spells at Neasden and Annesley when it also worked out of Marylebone.

Kings Cross is possibly the only terminus listed that 70014 did not visit in passenger service?

Some 455s might have managed Victoria (both sides) Charing Cross, Holborn Viaduct and London Bridge (terminal).

Taunton

Established Member
317s likewise have been moved around over time, from St Pancras, Euston, Kings Cross, Liverpool Street and Fenchurch Street, the same units seemingly having served all these in turn. Someone is likely to have ridden into all of them.

Rescars

Presumably 4-SUBs visited every Southen terminus, but they don't really fit with the OP's request for locomotives.