• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saphos Braunton White Rose to York 17/4/2024

peteb

Seen a few videos of this train, looked splendid. Can anyone advise which of the carriages in the consist (A to J) were standard class? I was unable to determine from the videos. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Seen a few videos of this train, looked splendid. Can anyone advise which of the carriages in the consist (A to J) were standard class? I was unable to determine from the videos. Thanks.
It’s usually just a small section in the (very nicely restored) buffet. Saphos don’t seem overly concerned with the Standard Class passenger and the price point makes it extremely poor value compared to paying just a bit more to go in First Class non-dining and getting a better experience.

fgwrich

Established Member
It’s usually just a small section in the (very nicely restored) buffet. Saphos don’t seem overly concerned with the Standard Class passenger and the price point makes it extremely poor value compared to paying just a bit more to go in First Class non-dining and getting a better experience.
Indeed, only really the Intercity side of the business is set up for a ‘standard class’ type experience. Everything else is very much geared for First Class upwards.

Viper

Did the steam fail at York? I saw it just South of York on the return and it was on the back.

peteb

Thanks! I would like to book with Saphos but have been deterred thus far by the MK2 Aircon vehicle in the consist (yesterday carriage J). I feared this might be a TSO, but it appears now to have been an FO. I'd really only want to travel in a MK1 with Saphos so I needed to know where standard class passengers are usually seated. Buffet usually makes for a cheery/chatty atmosphere!! I'd hate to pay for first class non dining only to be sat in the MK2 Aircon!!

Did the steam fail at York? I saw it just South of York on the return and it was on the back.
Steam on the front at 1950ish at Manchester Victoria.

Does anyone have a link to a photo of the Saphos buffet car? (Interior preferably).

Last edited:

bleeder4

Thanks! I would like to book with Saphos but have been deterred thus far by the MK2 Aircon vehicle in the consist (yesterday carriage J). I feared this might be a TSO, but it appears now to have been an FO.
This is a photo of the Mk2 interior I took on a recent tour. They've just finished overhauling a Mk1 FO so that should be replacing the Mk2 soon. You'll be in the Mk1 buffet with opening toplights if you book Standard. Have never taken a photo of it unfortunately, but it is done up very nice, as you would expect with LSL.

Attachments

• 20230906_064650.jpg
    20230906_064650.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 47

peteb

This is a photo of the Mk2 interior I took on a recent tour. They've just finished overhauling a Mk1 FO so that should be replacing the Mk2 soon. You'll be in the Mk1 buffet with opening toplights if you book Standard. Have never taken a photo of it unfortunately, but it is done up very nice, as you would expect with LSL.
Thanks, yes the quality of the interiors looks great.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks! I would like to book with Saphos but have been deterred thus far by the MK2 Aircon vehicle in the consist (yesterday carriage J). I feared this might be a TSO, but it appears now to have been an FO. I'd really only want to travel in a MK1 with Saphos so I needed to know where standard class passengers are usually seated. Buffet usually makes for a cheery/chatty atmosphere!! I'd hate to pay for first class non dining only to be sat in the MK2 Aircon!!

The positive of the MK2 is probably that it should be right behind the loco, so you will hear it loud and clear as I did with Sir Nigel Gresley last year. The Mk2 is normally in the Statesman rake, which is more expensive than Saphos, so you’d be getting a cheaper ride in a theoretically more premium product and it does look more eye-catching externally too in the Pullman colours.

The buffet is stunning but I wouldn’t say there was much atmosphere because most customers have at seat service included so will never visit it and the seating in it isn’t as comfortable and it’s poor value compared to the small extra cost of first class non-dining, which does include complementaries. Personally, I wouldn’t let the possibility of a Mk2 put you off, and you could of course request to be in a Mk1 on the booking form, but do note that they aren’t the most accommodating operator towards enthusiasts.

The Saphos buffet:

IMG_2626.jpeg

The tour I was on (not my photo):

IMG_2686.jpeg

Last edited:

peteb

The positive of the MK2 is probably that it should be right behind the loco, so you will hear it loud and clear as I did with Sir Nigel Gresley last year. The Mk2 is normally in the Statesman rake, which is more expensive than Saphos, so you’d be getting a cheaper ride in a theoretically more premium product and it does look more eye-catching externally too in the Pullman colours.

The buffet is stunning but I wouldn’t say there was much atmosphere because most customers have at seat service included so will never visit it and the seating in it isn’t as comfortable and it’s poor value compared to the small extra cost of first class non-dining, which does include complementaries. Personally, I wouldn’t let the possibility of a Mk2 put you off, and you could of course request to be in a Mk1 on the booking form, but do note that they aren’t the most accommodating operator towards enthusiasts.

The Saphos buffet:

View attachment 156657

The tour I was on (not my photo):

View attachment 156659
Thanks for posting the buffet photo.