• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Satellite Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

I’ve been posting comments here about cab rides, and “Curiosity killing the cat etc.” I went to Google Earth to have a look at the line from space, and lo and behold there is a 3 car dmu on the line a few yards from the places I mentioned. I don't know which direction the train is going but it's just on the Towans Crossing between Lelant and Carbis Bay.

Not sure if this is permitted – I looked at the Photo and Video Section of the site and couldn’t find an appropriate forum to post. So, if this is permitted, does anyone else have an image from space of their home section of line with a service running?
If there is any problem with copyright, I have left the Google Earth Copyright gubbings etc on the image. Apologies in advance to the Mods if I have overstepped the rules.

Attachments

• Google Image St Ives Branch.jpg
    Google Image St Ives Branch.jpg
    566.5 KB · Views: 27
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Somewhere there is a long closed thread with dozens of such images, so I doubt you'll have a problem with this sort of thing. Itt's called Google earth trainspotting or something; I'll try to find the link for you unless someone else finds it first...:)

David

Established Member
Just looked on Google Earth, and Scunthorpe is surprisingly busy!

Just past Foreign Ore Jn is a West bound coal train. Just East of Scunthorpe station itself is an East bound freight (looks like covered steel wagons). On the other side of town, we have a West bound pacer that's not long left Scunthorpe about to pass another freight (looks like tanks these).

A few miles to the West is a Manchester bount 185 having just crossed the Keadby Swing Bridge.

EDIT :: I've just scrolled west a bit more, and it looks as though some of the satellite images were taken during the Medge Hall blockade, as I've just spotted what looks like a rake of ballast hoppers being filled/emptied, and no loco with them!

Last edited:

Hydro

Established Member
Follow the line from Landor St Jn towards Derby, and you shall find a derailed intermodal - assuming the map image hasnt been updated.

As the images are stitched together, you can find surprising formations at the image boundaries. Half Voyager-half Desiro combos, phantom trains with no locomotives, and more than one train in section.

Status
Not open for further replies.