• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saturday a'noon in London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

I will have a few hours to kill after lunch. I live in B'ton so don't go to London much. Could the readership suggest any interesting train-related ways I could while away the time? I've done the museums.

How about a vantage point at a cutting, reachable by train or tube, sufficiently out of the centre, where I can lean over a wall and watch HSTs or Pendolinos go by at a decent speed?

Thanks - Morpethcurve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

South Kenton is a good place for high speed West Coast Main Line.

Ealing Broadway has HSTs quite regularly on GWR, but maybe they will be at greater speed at Southall or Hayes and Harlington or West Drayton.

Finsbury Park/Alexandra Palace area for everything out of Kings Cross.

DelW

Established Member
Have you visited e.g. Kings Cross western concourse (possibly including the Parcel Yard pub), or the (part) rebuilt London Bridge including the new Borough Market viaduct? Well worth visiting if not.

For train watching, I think Harringay Station still gives views of the ECML from the footbridge. There is a footpath to the north west (between Mount View Road and the end of Ridge Road) which used to give great views over the yards to the north, but there are flats in the way now :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.