• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Save The CIGs Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom C

There are two departmental 309s, quite a few 310s and a couple of carriages of a 312

The 309s are not going anywhere, Angel are waiting to see if anyone can use them further.

The AC EMU group have been trying to secure a 309 unit but as you say Angel Trains are keen to get it back on the rails as a departmental but sooner of later Angel Trains will want to get rid so hopefully the AC EMU group will keep badgering until they get it.

Also forgot to mention that a 309 coach is undergoing restoration at Walthamstow Pump House so they are not completely forgotten :).

The 312 coaches are owned by a fire brigade [not sure which one], so goodness knows what they will look like after they have finished with them.

There is already a group set up to try and secure the 312 coaches after the fire brigade have finished with them. Not sure how wise that is concidering they are going to be set on fire several hundred times but got to admire them for even concidering it :)

That obviously means that the rest have been scrapped at Immingham already?

If the units have moved to Immingham does it mean that they can no longer be secured for preservation before they get cut up?

will need seating etc. this is close enough to Intercity 70 seating [only minus the armrests] found in some HSTs and until recently, the CEPs.

Arn't the 1st class seats on 317's the same type?

Sure First will refurbish these sooner or later so it might be worth asking for the old ones?

Not quite, Tom.
At Mangapps near Burnham on Crouch, Essex there are a couple of 302 DT coaches back to back, and these are used fairly regularly.

You are quite right, sorry bout that.

Last time I saw them they were in very faded NSE livery do you know they are planning to freshen up the coaches?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

insider

Tom.
There are no 309 coaches at Pump House.
The 312s were Angel Trains and thus were cut at Caerwent. Some also at Newport docks. Only Porterbrook used Immingham in the slamdoor scrappings of recent years.
The Fire brigade 312s will not just be set on fire. They will be rolled over so cutting equipment training can be given for would be rescue scenarios and I doubt there will be much left to save at the end.
The seating. If it is intercity 70 style, then yes, it will be Ok, minus the armrests.

Hope this info is of use?

insider

The GCR CIG was originally a BIG, converted by replacing its buffet car with a CEP TSO.

All ours are original CIG units ;)

Getting back on track, (we seem to have veered off onto AC stock,) are any of you guys going to do anything with the CIGs already saved? They are in need of work.

SWTPete

Evening Guys,

Just a quick update on this topic as approved by those in charge on RailUk.

The "Class 421 Appeal" is still running as part of the Save The CIGs Group, following a bit of scaling down and pruning of what we wish to achieve. We are now looking at returning at least one of these units to mainline condition, however far fetched it seems, it can be done and this is now the aim of the group.

Looking at it realistically, yes it is hard work and yes it is expensive, however I personally am willing to put an awful lot of hard work and money into this, and I'm positive that if you all join me, Save The CIGs could have such fantastic prospects when we become the first private group to eventually own a mainline condition unit.

Our introductory newsletter will be released shortly explaining how the project will take shape, in several phases. A little tease of the front cover is shown below!

A petition has been created for those of you who do not wish to assist, but however want to show their support for what we are trying to achieve;

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/SlamDoor

Everyone is encouraged to visit our website which is updated and maintained regularly, and also those of you that may have older links to us, you may update them;

http://www.savethecigs.org.uk

And finally, Donations are very much encouraged, just £10 from all of you whom are reading this would substantially increase the chances of our success. By donating you have absolutely nothing to loose, all monies are held within a separate account and will be donated to a fellow heritage railway in the event that we fail or our unit is scrapped.

If you would like to contribute to us, please follow the link below;

http://www.savethecigs.org.uk/index.php?page=421appeal

Last of all a thank you to all those who have visited since October 2006, all 40,000 unique visitors, and those of you whom have already shown your support via writing or in other forms, it is greatly appreciated.

SWTPete

Very good. If things go to plan, there will be one more to play with, under its own power. 8)

metrocammel

I really cannot believe you are asking for donations! :o

At the moment, you have no realistic plans: the only plans you do (or did have, as the website appears to now be down) are very sketchy and far-fetched. Looking at when this thread started in October 06', you were looking at ex-BR land near East Croyden- prime development real estate, which will Im sure the landowners would ask for far in excess of even the likes of Pete Waterman would pay!
At the moment, giving money to this scheme seems like dropping tenners into a black hole. Most preservations schemes are modest, and do not rely on purchasing large amounts of land to accomodate the units/traction. If you were intending to go to a preserved railway, then that is possibly more feasible, however many railways are now reluctant to take on EMUs, as, in effect, they are just mk1s (that have the added bonus of being used in push/pull mode with SR locos). Then I see the "mainline running" ideas! These are beyond belief really. The amount of time & money it takes to get things mainline registered is immense. Your group is very small in comparison with lots of well established preservation groups, and I imagine the funds match the size. Getting any train mainline registered is a huge task (with the added costs involved as it is an electric unit, which means it is much more complex than registering, say, a diesel loco- look at all the problems the ACLG have had with getting their "Roarers" certified- and they are a very well established group, who have backing from many shareholders- unlike your group currently.

I am sorry to rant, but I really cannot see this even attempting to get off the ground, as you are trying to run before you walk. Pete, I really suggest you wisen-up a little bit, as currently you have a very naive view of the world :| .

Galvanize

Bit harsh ain't it James? But a preserved railway idea sounds more ideal! Maybe see if a line like the Nene Valley want 'em, there we go, some air braked mark 1 based stock to replace the dreaded foreign trash! Even paint 'em maroon or even Blue/Grey, to make them look the part!

Ascot

Established Member
Yeah i agree put them on a preserved, like the 50 group and other ones like that. Then buy a loco and run it up and down by which time would cost alot of money...

Sounds like a good idea on print but in reality is a question i guess as from 3 trains down to 1 within a few months without leavin the pen off the paper... A hard game to get into but worth it if you jump the hoop.

Sorry though but £10 for a thing i'm not interested in as "Heritage" isn't going for me a Midlander who hasn't propably seen one of these.

Good look and i give moral support to you all!!

SWTPete

Just to answer a few questions,

Realistically "mainline running" is planned at the latter stages of the project, we dont expect a unit to go straight from Shoeburyness back out onto the 3rd rail! Once the sale is completed and we have a home for it, we want to at least have the unit fit for mainline use, even if it doesn't happen for some time.

We are in talks with various preserved railways with regards to a working home for our unit if we do decide to make a purchase.

Also, yes we are collecting small amounts of funding from various sources, because believe me we will need it. As it states on the website, we will not pocket the money, if we fail will will donate it to a fellow EMU preservation group which will be named in due course.

(£30!....Morelike a 3-figure sum i think you will find! ;))

AlexS

Established Member
Even most preserved locomotives can't haul these things without causing problems thanks to the high level air pipes. I think enough have been preserved by now and if the rest are broken up for spares then you're about sorted. Why not get involved in working with an existing unit? There's plenty of the things around the country.

Established Member
Pete just wondering did it ever accour to you a VOP or vep or cig dont know which 3905!!!!!!!!!! is still in use!!!!;) http://www.craigrailpics.fotopic.net/p42434604.html and you can see another slammer unti why dont do the obvious and bid for them there old , warn out , tatty be a cheap tag but fantastic to restore!!!:)

Ta CraigS for taking the phot
Fred;)

CraigS

Established Member
Pete just wondering did it ever accour to you a VOP or vep or cig dont know which 3905!!!!!!!!!! is still in use!!!!;) http://www.craigrailpics.fotopic.net/p42434604.html and you can see another slammer unti why dont do the obvious and bid for them there old , warn out , tatty be a cheap tag but fantastic to restore!!!:)

Fred;)

Thats a VOP I belive and I think the other one at Chart Leacon is a VOP aswell.

westcoaster

Established Member

Ta CraigS for taking the phot
Fred;)

they are tractor units fred used for shunting iirc

SWTPete

We have contacted Bombardier regarding those units and their proposed future, and have yet to recieve a response. To be honest, I'd expect to see them eventually go the same way as 1401, classed as "unservicable" and heading to one of the many scrapyards.

As sad as that may be, at least the units penned in at Shoeburyness are there specifically for preservation use, including VEP 3536, which we are now also looking at due to it being an under-represented type and also part of the SWT tour train.

We've had an awful lot of suggestions along the lines of a VEP being a better investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.