• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saw a Class 70!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Go and have a lie down. Wear dark glasses and try to think about something of beauty. With a little luck in a few hours you will have recovered from the ordeal of seeing one of these hideous machines. Just as well you were looking at it through your camera's viewfinder: people have been turned to stone looking at them directly.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Class 70s are ugly things aren't they?? What were they thinking when they designed them?

Shouldn't this be in the 'Photography Sites & Videos' forum??

ileikcaek

Aaaw I quite like the 70's body work except for the end cabs, not much thought was put into those they look like they were taken off another loco and slapped onto a shrunk down American loco! if the end cabs had a design similar to what American locos have with a nose it would look very smart indeed.

These machines are here to do a job and not look pretty however. Just my opinion.

battledroid

I work on the WCML 7 nights a week usually and get to see all the usual, WCR 47s, the odd DRS 37, all the usual 66s, 92s, 90s, but nothing, literally nothing IMHO beats a 70 on full power from 6 foot away. The racket, clag and screaming whistle of that engine is absolutely awesome...! How the hell did they pass emissions regulations when they produce so much crap!

4SRKT

Established Member
I work on the WCML 7 nights a week usually and get to see all the usual, WCR 47s, the odd DRS 37, all the usual 66s, 92s, 90s, but nothing, literally nothing IMHO beats a 70 on full power from 6 foot away. The racket, clag and screaming whistle of that engine is absolutely awesome...! How the hell did they pass emissions regulations when they produce so much crap!

Is this so? I may have to revise my opinions on class 70s.....

89-763-733

I think myself and 4SRKT will agree that the attached is a PROPER 70 CLASS, not that GE monstrosity

Attachments

• 75 1976-1200 LY.jpg
    75 1976-1200 LY.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 18

4SRKT

Established Member
I think myself and 4SRKT will agree that the attached is a PROPER 70 CLASS, not that GE monstrosity

Indeed. My avatar says all that needs to be said about my views on the class 70 class. Same power car as in yr photo as well :)

Temple Meads

Established Member
Go and have a lie down. Wear dark glasses and try to think about something of beauty. With a little luck in a few hours you will have recovered from the ordeal of seeing one of these hideous machines. Just as well you were looking at it through your camera's viewfinder: people have been turned to stone looking at them directly.

:lol::lol::lol:

Thats brilliant!

They certainly do look terrible, I still like them however!

NXEA!

Have to agree with that, the 70's scream at 75mph on a Container train. I saw 70008 at Stratford accelerating towards Felixstowe 2 weeks ago, and the noise was deafening, and it was emitting black clag. They're not so bad afterall. ;)

Temple Meads

Established Member
Have to agree with that, the 70's scream at 75mph on a Container train. I saw 70008 at Stratford accelerating towards Felixstowe 2 weeks ago, and the noise was deafening, and it was emitting black clag. They're not so bad afterall. ;)

I was pleasently surprised by the noise too.

Status
Not open for further replies.