• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Saw it, said it, sorted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The exile

Established Member
Are we finally hearing the last of everyone’s favourite mantra? I’m sure I haven’t heard it for ages (or have I finally managed to blot it from my consciousness?) GWR - if you really have sorted for good - thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Are we finally hearing the last of everyone’s favourite mantra? I’m sure I haven’t heard it for ages (or have I finally managed to blot it from my consciousness?) GWR - if you really have sorted for good - thank you!

Still going where I am. I heard it several times yesterday.

As you say, you’ve probably blocked it out.

J-2739

Established Member
The one they currently have on London Underground is particularly bad. All the stresses are in the wrong place when the man says '61016'. Also, why does he repeat it twice anyway?

Anne does it best.

greatkingrat

Established Member
If the announcements aren't being played I recommend you text 61016 and report it!

MikeWM

Established Member
The one they currently have on London Underground is particularly bad. All the stresses are in the wrong place when the man says '61016'. Also, why does he repeat it twice anyway?

It is *appalling*. It is too loud, very jarring, and extremely annoying. It actually puts me off using the Underground when an alternative is available.

ExRes

Established Member
Is there anywhere on the forum that this appalling subject can be reported in the hope it can then be permanently banned from use?

Anne does it best.

I have never understood why all the announcements say:

"Six-one-oh-one-six"

Where it's clear the intention was:

"Six... one-oh-one... Six"

Because 101 is the police non-emergency number. It's obvious that's why the shortcode was chosen in the first place! So why not say it like that?!

J-2739

Established Member
It is *appalling*. It is too loud, very jarring, and extremely annoying. It actually puts me off using the Underground when an alternative is available.
Except most of the alternatives in London are also plagued by see it, say it, sorted! <(

Watch it spread onto the buses next.
I have never understood why all the announcements say:

"Six-one-oh-one-six"

Where it's clear the intention was:

"Six... one-oh-one... Six"

Because 101 is the police non-emergency number. It's obvious that's why the shortcode was chosen in the first place! So why not say it like that?!
Ooh, I never thought of it that way, now that makes sense! :)

kkong

I'm not sure why they say 61O16.

it's 61016; the SMS isn't going to go through if you try to include a letter in the number.

sjoh

I'm not sure why they say 61O16.

it's 61016; the SMS isn't going to go through if you try to include a letter in the number.
As I'm sure you're aware (and are simply milking for the sake of pedantry) "oh" is quite commonly substituted in for zero when announcing phone numbers. In fact, in this context the Oh is actually derived as a shortening of Zero, rather than from the letter.

kkong

As I'm sure you're aware (and are simply milking for the sake of pedantry) "oh" is quite commonly substituted in for zero when announcing phone numbers. In fact, in this context the Oh is actually derived as a shortening of Zero, rather than from the letter.

Yes, the trouble is, try doing that with airline PNR codes and other situations and it won't work.

Why not just be accurate?

People do know that the number zero exists.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I doubt it's gone. It's a mandatory announcement across the rail industry.

kkong

I doubt it's gone. It's a mandatory announcement across the rail industry.

Still heard on LNER and ScotRail yesterday.

ScotRail's announcements (on the HSTs at least) have become a bit weird since a few months back.

It now ends "see it.... SAY IT SORTED" with an odd lack of natural gap before "SORTED".

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, the trouble is, try doing that with airline PNR codes and other situations and it won't work.

Why not just be accurate?

People do know that the number zero exists.

It accurately describes how people say phone numbers. Hardly anyone says "zero seven one two three", it's always "oh seven...".

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It accurately describes how people say phone numbers. Hardly anyone says "zero seven one two three", it's always "oh seven...".

I suppose if you're used to the phonetic alphabet and safety-critical comms "zero" is second nature.

kkong

It's not always... I and several others I hear in the office start our mobile numbers with "zero seven".

Perhaps that's because we're in the telecoms industry... we also know how to format phone numbers correctly. ;)

I find it amazing that people write their mobile numbers as a string of numbers with no break, e.g. 07123874637.

Not sure how that helps readability.

Even worse are the online forms which won't let you enter it in the correct format with the space, i.e. 07xxx yyyyyy.

kristiang85

Established Member
There is a special place in hell for whoever devised this phrase. That place is in an isolated room, hands tied down, and it playing loudly and on repeat for all of eternity.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suppose if you're used to the phonetic alphabet and safety-critical comms "zero" is second nature.

Probably so, but 99.9999% of the population aren't, and "oh" is normal.

Even worse are the online forms which won't let you enter it in the correct format with the space, i.e. 07xxx yyyyyy.

Given that the "area code" on a mobile number is utterly meaningless to the end user (and landlines are headed into Scotty's "how quaint" territory), does this format have or even need a future?

Essan

Nope, I heard it on Monday (last time I was on GWR) - both at the station and on the train

MikeWM

Established Member
Except most of the alternatives in London are also plagued by see it, say it, sorted! <(

Sadly true, but somehow the Underground announcements really grate, whereas the other ones are irritating but less so - they don't cause me to want to shout expletives loudly at the disembodied voice.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Probably so, but 99.9999% of the population aren't, and "oh" is normal.

I'd say you've plucked "99.9999%" out of thin air! It's certainly less common don't get me wrong but I think more than 1 in a million use "zero" on the phone. Call centres tend to use zero I've found.

kkong

Given that the "area code" on a mobile number is utterly meaningless to the end user (and landlines are headed into Scotty's "how quaint" territory), does this format have or even need a future?

It is a question of readability.

You know this.

It is why forum posts are easier to read when there is white space.

And the same reason numbers are easier to comprehend and transcribe when they are split into smaller groups of digits.

Have a look at your recent incoming call log on your favourite Android (and I assume iOS) device.

For numbers not in your contacts, it doesn't just give one enormous string of numbers.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is a question of readability.

Breaking it up is yes, but the old format that ascribed meaning to the chunks isn't relevant any more.

You could write 07 123 456 789, or 071234 56789, or even go all French and write 07 12 34 56 78 9 or something, individuals would debate which was more readable.

kkong

Breaking it up is yes, but the old format that ascribed meaning to the chunks isn't relevant any more.

You could write 07 123 456 789, or 071234 56789, or even go all French and write 07 12 34 56 78 9 or something, individuals would debate which was more readable.

Off topic, but why invent new formats when there is a long-established standard (ITU-T E.123) for phone numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.