• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SBB Class designations

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenHunter

Established Member
How do these work? I figure that the ABD in RABDe 500 reference the first class, second class and luggage van accomodation, but what about the rest?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
How do these work? I figure that the ABD in RABDe 500 reference the first class, second class and luggage van accomodation, but what about the rest?
The first letter relates to maximum speed (A was the fastest originally, R was an afterthought as speeds increased to 140km/h, starting with the Re4/4 (eg Re420).
The lower case letter(s) cover traction type etc (e=electric, g=narrow gauge, h=rack, m=diesel, t=driving trailer....) and 500 is a class designation in the emu series (all these from memory, but I think correct).

Re 4/4

Yes, the first one is the "Zugreihe", literally train series, there is also a series N for tilting trains that's above R but that isn't used in the class description thus a 2nd gen pendolino is still a RABe 503.

A is first, B second and C used to be third class, so D is for a luggage compartment.

We used to call our loco series Re 4/4 I, II and so on up to IV then we switched to using the class number so the latest Re 4/4 is a Re 460.

On Moderation
Yes, the first one is the "Zugreihe", literally train series, there is also a series N for tilting trains that's above R but that isn't used in the class description thus a 2nd gen pendolino is still a RABe 503.

A is first, B second and C used to be third class, so D is for a luggage compartment.

We used to call our loco series Re 4/4 I, II and so on up to IV then we switched to using the class number so the latest Re 4/4 is a Re 460.
Surely the latest Re 4/4 class is the BLS Re 475 Vectrons?

raetiamann

As a General rule of thumb the third digit, when 1-4, indicates where a class may travel. So 1 would be Switzerland and France, 2 Switzerland and Germany e.g. 482, 4 Switzerland and Italy e.g. 484. This can change with multi systems locos though.
The third digit then changes to indicate the host company, so a 5 allocates to bls 425, 465, 475 etc. 6 is generally SOB 446, 456.

The Platform 5 Swiss handbook I'm sure explains it far better than I.

axlecounter

Another rule is that there is no rule. :D

While there have been various designation systems consistent within themselves, some more lasting than others (the well known Xy #/#), there's never been a nationwide clear and defined system. Even within SBB, today more than ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.