• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SCAAT/G.Bourdon tests -my biggest fear on the railway- for NON-Driver roles

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarJan

Does every TOC including suburban companies require a SCAAT test or Group bourdon to be sat and passed for Guard/Conductor, Train manager, On board supervisor and mainline Platform roles. Does the 2 strikes still apply for Group bourdon. Is the conductor test the same difficulty as a driver SCAAT/GBourdon. Is this also the case for mainline dispatchers as I know EMT require this for platform assistants. Once a scaat test or a group bourdon is sat for a guard does this mean you can be a driver?

It's my biggest fear whilst being on the railway as it has to be done in order to progress through the industry and fear I can easily fail as its two strikes, you're out.

I hear some TOCs use different methods but surely most use SCAAT or Bourdon.

Does suburban conductors such as southern in particular use such a method.

Is the group bourdon also 2 tries and no 3rd attempt.

Do you still have to sit this test if you are applying internally, more interested if that's a mainline employee applying internally for a TM/guard.

Regards.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

8J

Right where do I start with this....

The Railway Group Standard no longer require guards/conductors to sit the SCATT (symbols) tests. When I started as a conductor I did them but not all TOCs require it to be done now...

For a driver job, the SCATT tests are not used, it is the group bourdon (dots) amongst many others that are completely seperate from conductor/guard psychometric assessments

WarJan

Right where do I start with this....

The Railway Group Standard no longer require guards/conductors to sit the SCATT (symbols) tests. When I started as a conductor I did them but not all TOCs require it to be done now...

For a driver job, the SCATT tests are not used, it is the group bourdon (dots) amongst many others that are completely seperate from conductor/guard psychometric assessments

I have since changed my post, but Is this 100% true. I am reading SCAAT tests are everywhere.

Is the group bourdon which I did read about, is that also 2 strikes and your out. Is it comparably more complicated than SCAAT. It's just that pressure when doing it, knowing you could ruin your career in the industry.

8J

Ive passed both and found the SCAAT tests harder to be honest.

The truth is there are many other railway careers outside of the traincrew grades.

PudseyBearHST

I have since changed my post, but Is this 100% true. I am reading SCAAT tests are everywhere.

Is the group bourdon which I did read about, is that also 2 strikes and your out. Is it comparably more complicated than SCAAT. It's just that pressure when doing it, knowing you could ruin your career in the industry.

It's weird because there are some people who find group bourdon easier and others who find SCAAT easier. Have you done any practice?

JonnyH

I have also passed both SCAAT and GB and I personally found the SCAAT to be the harder of the two!

theking

Scaat is definitely harder! as with gb if you practice a lot you can get used to and remember the patterns of the dots so that's all you look for.
With scaat as the shape changes all the time you have to take more care.

Status
Not open for further replies.