Scarborough-Accrington-Liverpool

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by crispy1978, 15 Aug 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crispy1978

crispy1978 Member

My wife and I (with DSB Railcard) are looking to make the journey from Scarborough to Liverpool, and back, but with a 2 night stay each side at Accrington. Probably leaving Scarborough on 17/9, returning on 29/9.

Is it just as simple to get a return ticket from SCA-ACR (£53.90) and ACR-LIV,(£22.60) - (Total £76.50) , or is there a viable alternative?

Last edited: 15 Aug 2015
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. kieron

kieron Established Member

That's one option. I did think of a Scarborough-Liverpool anytime return, but that's only valid as far as Hedben Bridge. It costs more than your tickets in any case.

You could try looking to see what advance tickets are available for parts of the journey. If you could find cheap enough tickets as far as Leeds, it will save a chunk from the first set of returns.

4. Camden

Camden Established Member

A return from Scarborough to Accrington is about £40 via Burnley, and a return from Accrington to Liverpool is about £17, so that's £57. Can see the Accrington any route price of £53, but don't know where £22.60 for the Liverpool portion has originated.

An advance to/from Manchester could be had for about £30, but then a return to Accrington from there is about £15 (similar advance to Leeds, but £18 to Accrington), so the advance route would cost more, but less than the £53.90.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2015
  5. crispy1978

crispy1978 Member

The £40 is full return SCA-ACR, but with the DSB RC discount that comes to the £53.90 for the two of us.

6. Camden

Camden Established Member

Ah of course sorry. It looks like it's the cheapest and most straightforward. £38 return each is not bad going. At least also with those tickets you can just turn up and go on each leg as and when you're ready, rather than having to get a specific train.

7. crispy1978

crispy1978 Member

Thank you. Yeah flexibility would be helpful, just wondered if there was a routeing option with a break of journey which could be utilised, as I'm no expert in that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.