• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scarborough Spa Express advert problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
I've just watched a bit of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone on ITV and, during an advert break, saw an advert for the Scarborough Spa Express featuring Pete Waterman. I was very pleased to see it as it is rare for to see adverts for railtours.

However, after the advert, I tried to access the website that they advertised and, to my horror, it wouldn't let me access it and, instead, wanted me to enter a user name and password. The website mentioned was scarboroughtrain.com

I was sad that this was the case as it is surely meaning that they are loosing revenue. Will people who are interested search Google and find the correct website: that of West Coast Railways Limited? Was the advertised website supposed to redirect to West Coast's site or was it a website that existed in the past?

In addition to this, I also noticed when browsing West Coast's site that the booking fee is actually £3.25 and not the £3 that was advertised.

Are they broadcasting an old advert? It is unprofessional if they are (although I don't know who is at fault). I hope they get it sorted as, while I have never been on the train, I have seen it at Scarborough about nine or ten years ago and have seen several videos of it at York.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ryan125hst

Established Member

It does for me now as well. Someone must have read my post and corrected it!

To your horror? Blimey..............

OK, maybe I exaggerating that a bit too much. :lol: What I am saying is that it isn't good if they are advertising and the website doesn't work as it looks unprofessional and could cause them to loose revenue due to less customers.

It's working now anyway, although the booking fee is still wrong on the advert.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In my experience the trains are busy (full and standing even) so I don't think they'd be hurt that much!

wbbminerals

It's one of those websites that only works with 'www.' in the address. This is something that can surely be sorted out very easily. There is no point booking the SSE online as the front coach behind the loco is where the unreserved seats usually are anyway!

theblackwatch

Established Member
In my experience the trains are busy (full and standing even) so I don't think they'd be hurt that much!

They haven't been so far this year - I did the morning trip on Wednesday (as a pay on the day passenger), and there were less than 20 of us in the leading public coach - myself and a friend got a bay of 4 each. According to the Train Manager, they have a lot more bookings for August though.

oddiesjack

My grandson and I went on the SSE on Thursday. We were told while waiting at Kirkgate that the train was going to be diesel-hauled, and sure enough, it turned up with a 47 on the head. The steward said that the booked loco had failed a fitness-to-run exam overnight, but they were hoping that we would be hauled by the 8F 48151 once we got to York. We were put into the sidings at Holgate where the 8F was reversed on in fairly quick order. I was quite impressed that they were able to get the 8F over from Carnforth in time to do this, so hats off to WCRC for organising this.

It was fairly clear that the 47 subsequently did the bulk of the work, and our steward said that they hadn't stopped for water on previous days, due to the diesel doing the work then as well.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I was quite impressed that they were able to get the 8F over from Carnforth in time to do this, so hats off to WCRC for organising this.

The 8F was already at York - it's been there as standby since the start of this year's SSE programme.

4SRKT

Established Member
So has the SSE turned into some sort of duff bashers' charter this year then?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, Scots Guardsman was out yesterday with 47760 on the back. Good sound effects from the kettle, but on the return from Castleford to York, the duff was living up the second 7 in its number by doing a lot of work at the rear. Very disappointing this because last year this was the high spot of the run.

Is this the future for kettles on the main line then? Prettified DBSOs put on for the normals and the festoons, while a duff shoves the whole thing along?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.