• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scenic routes using a London travel card

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLH

Using a London 1-6 zones travel card what are the most scenic or interesting routes that I could travel please? I plan to travel on a Saturday and I feel sure that there must be some scenic routes in the London travel card area. Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I always think Gospel Oak-Barking has good variety. Over the rooftops of Leytonstone to crossing the Lea Valley reservoirs.

Southern end of Epsom Downs branch has some good views too.

Kingsbury Jn.

Bus-wise, the 465 route from Kingston on Thames to Dorking, is quite scenic at the Southern end. You can also join/leave it at Surbiton station or close to Chessington South station, if time is a constraint. I use it to get to Leatherhead for football matches.

ashworth

Established Member
The line to Tattenham Corner is quite scenic and I always find it difficult to believe that it’s in London travel zone 6. There are some lovely rural walks from the line over Epsom Racecourse and beyond.

causton

Established Member
I will second the Southern branches, maybe go down to Epsom Downs and walk back from Tattenham Corner, I have done that before.

Also how about getting a Zones 1-9 and a visit to scenic Dartford Amersham/Chesham - the north end of the Met line is amazing

PeterY

Established Member
I agree with Causton the northern end of the Met line is quite scenic. (Zone 9 though).

Veteran Member
Also Grove Park to Knockholt (and various bus routes down that way), and maybe Stanmore/High Barnet/Hertford Loop (long time since I did those though...).
Hampton Court and then a bus to Kingston or somewhere?
Beckenham Hill to Ravensbourne/Shortlands.

ashworth

Established Member
I will second the Southern branches, maybe go down to Epsom Downs and walk back from Tattenham Corner, I have done that before.

If you are not familiar with the area, or don’t have a map with you, definitely do it that way round, returning from Tattenham Corner. Epsom Downs Station is not easy to find and it took me ages to find. It’s really tucked away and approaching from the racecourse direction is through what looks like a very private new housing development.

Last edited:

si404

Established Member
Charing Cross through London Bridge is a good one for urban scenery as elevated near the Thames through the main bit of London. Waterloo approach is not as good, but similarly has some sights from it. DLR from about Mudchute to where it dives down into a tunnel to Bank is a relatively good one for getting good views of modern skyscrapers.

The Piccadilly around the Sudburys/Alperton is pretty 'scenic' with views over West London, sadly there's not a huge amount to look at unless you know the area well. "Oh look it's Wembley Stadium from a few miles away".

As for the Met: Chesham, rather than Amersham. The Amersham route/GCML is basically continuous urban area, whereas the Chesham branch squiggles back down the side of the Chess Valley with the development only on the less scenic uphill side (and even then it's well hidden when there is development).

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
West London Line over the Thames.

Thameslink (either branch) gives you some nice views of suburban south London. I'd call it interesting rather than scenic though.

Or if bus is acceptable, 59 or 68 north from Waterloo over the Thames. You'll see it longer than you will on a train! :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's a bit of a view across London from Wimbledon to West Brompton on the District.

Going via Peckham Rye gives a fairly good view across the City.

Another good view of the City can be had just below London Bridge.

West Norwood to Crystal Palace will also afford a view across the City, albeit more restricted and much briefer.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Willesden Junction to Stratford gives a good series of views over the rooftops of London and towards the City.

The most unscenic line IMHO has to be the Central Line from West Ruislip to White City......

telstarbox

Established Member
The DLR from Bank to Greenwich is fairly scenic - you get the City, Canary Wharf, views of the river and then plenty of attractions in Greenwich itself.

JLH

Thank you to all for fantastic ideas, almost all of which I hadn't thought of. Now for looking at the TfL website to do some route planning.

Status
Not open for further replies.