• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scheme Support Signaller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goggy02

Hi guys

I've got an interview for the Scheme Support Signaller (Haywards Heath) next week as an external candidate.

After applying and gaining an interview I received an email stating that it was not a permanent position as originally stated but a two year fixed-term contract. I am currently in employment and earn pretty much the same as this new job offers but really am looking for a change in career but I could be potentially out of work in two years if I was successful. Is there any advice out there that you guys can give me?

And I know this has been asked before but where is the Signaller School based at this point, I've heard that Leeds is now closed?

Thanks all! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carriageline

Established Member
There is still a school at Doncaster and peterborough (also I believe at paddock wood) but everything is meant to be going into one of the ROCs at some point (either rugby or York) it isn't massively a problem though, as accommodation and food is provided.

I would go for it, enough vacancies pop up internally to keep you inside the company! (In the last few weeks there has been close to 10 in the london and kent area alone), plus there is other jobs you can apply for internally just to stay inside NR.

Once your in it opens a whole huge world of opportunities. Plus, there is always the chance of the resignalling being pushed back, and the contract being extended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marc1986

Hi Goggy,

I'm also going for this next week. I haven't received anything regarding it only being a fixed contract though? Very odd.

I am in the same boat re stable job currently so does seen a risk if only a 2 yr contract. Having said that NR does seem to post a lot of positions online frequently so one would hope you can move once you have your foot in the door.

Good luck with your interview!

Goggy02

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies and advice. I rang the LOM who is conducting the interviews - he interviewed me last year for a position - and he was very honest.

I explained the situation I was in, that I had a well paid job but have been looking to get into Signalling for a while now as a career change. He informed me that the jobs are fixed term for a maximum of two years and will probably be less than that as many of the boxes in Sussex are due to go as many of you know in the very near future, NR are reducing not growing in numbers. The roles can be anywhere in the county and you could be moved boxes within the contract as and when needed. It was really good to chat to him and he said it was a big risk to move from a secure job that pays the bills and supports a family to take this role on that is a big risk of being redundant in less than two years and would advise me to stay put. Obviously this would really suit someone better who did not have as many responsibilities and maybe lived at home or was in a low paid job.

Anyway, unfortunately I passed up on the interview so am gutted but the job would not have paid anymore than I earn and it is only a short term contract but you never know in the future If a full time job comes up in my area!

Good luck Marc with your interview, let me know if you need any advice on it and hope you find these posts informative.

Carriageline - good to hear from you buddy, thanks for your advice and all the best. How is it all going mate?

Thanks for reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.