• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

School bus working (NBC or early privatisation days)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
I don't think this has come up before; a search isn't revealing anything. Apologies if it has!

One thing I was wondering about is how school bus diagramming worked in NBC, or very early privatisation days (let's say 70s and 80s) in areas where commuter peak extras also ran.

In theory, I can imagine that in the afternoon, a given vehicle could efficiently work both. A bus working a school journey could then go on and run a peak extra from a large town or city bus station, as schools finished considerably before the end of the working day. I'm not sure if this actually happened though, as I did not live close to a city big enough to have peak extras in the 80s.

In the morning it would be more difficult, as the school and commuter peaks coincided.

So I'm wondering how such services were planned in practice? One might guess that the morning had a larger vehicle requirement than the evening as a result of this, and certain vehicles were thus only needed in the morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
I can give an example from the early 1970s in Kent.

Maidstone & District (which by then was part of NBC ) ran the 59 from various villages into Maidstone for the commuters and Grammar school kids, arriving around 0830. 15 or so minutes later the 59 Relief picked up the Secondary Modern pupils (whose school was closer) and the commuters who started work a bit later. There was no Relief in the afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.