• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotland post-Brexit - what happens next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

Oh for goodness sake, not this one again. Pensions would be paid in exactly the same way as they would be to any other British citizen who chooses to retire abroad. It doesn't matter if it's the Costa del Sol or the Coast o' Sutherland. This is pure scaremongering and one of the factors that drove many older people to vote "no" the last time around.

I have a few pension plans, with companies who have an HQ in England saved in Pounds Sterling. In a Scotland using a different currency are you saying I now have to take my chance with currency changes or in what may be a smaller annuity market ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Established Member
I have a few pension plans, with companies who have an HQ in England saved in Pounds Sterling. In a Scotland using a different currency are you saying I now have to take my chance with currency changes or in what may be a smaller annuity market ?
David Cameron effectively stole a whole chunk of my SERPs contributions a few years ago, so forgive me if I don't trust the UK with my pension any more than anybody else. Scottish independence isn't without risk, but it's an economically risky world, and as a result of Brexit UK has just set out to sail through the riskiest part of it in a patched-up bathtub with no support. I don't see why you think your pension is any safer sitting in a financial system which has been cut off from Europe and is probably in imminent deep trouble, rather than in Scotland.

Chester1

Established Member

Yes. I think it would be a reasonable outcome for you.

You will not get the "exact same benefits" after Scotland leaving the UK, especially if any other member follows Scotland.

In regards to Citizenship I think the ideal solution would be for rUK and Scotland (or England, Scotland and Wales) to recognise British Citizenship rights and jointly issue passports until the death of every person with British Citizenship at time of the divorce. Any new births and naturalisations could be in the new national citizenships and anyone with links to one of the new states could obtain its Citizenship but not anyone just because they are British. I think an English Government could agree to that, I am not sure about a Scottish or Welsh nationalist Government though.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There is no chance that an independent Scotland would allow English or Welsh people to take up Scottish Citizenship on the basis we are all currently British. They would need a link by birth or residency to Scotland. Its a heck of a gamble that England would (now on its own) choose to maintain British Citizenship and Citizenship law as they currently are, in perpetuity! Especially when it it would disadvantage an English Government trying to negotiate FOM for English citizens to an independent Scotland. If England maintained British Citizenship then the Scottish government would have no need to allow FOM to Scotland for a generation.
Why wouldn't we allow people to take up Scottish citizenship on that basis? Scotland needs more people, particularly to support more rural economies, and especially now that European freedom of movement has been curtailed.
I'm not a pensions expert, but I'd imagine it would be no different if you had worked in, say, Germany and saved in the Euro. Pensions are still risky whether or not we're part of the UK or not.
Dare we mention Shetland Independence in the mix?
You could mention it, but it would be a topic for a new thread :)

Clansman

Established Member
I think some of these issues are very significant in terms of Scottish independence as well. I know support for independence has got as high as 58% recently, but in reality, if there was an indyref tomorrow, you'd be looking at a result around 53/47 in all likelihood, and it could go either way. The result would be half the country extremely unhappy whatever the result is. Not a good way to achieve a decent civic society at all.
...and in elections, you have on average 60-70% of the electorate voting against the ruling party of government.

The sad thing is that there are people out there who like to pick and choose what is divisive and what is not based on the likelihood of the success of the side of politics they align with. In most cases it ends with one side arguing for the status quo for the sake of unity without any willingness to make the compromises needed to achieve the sort of equilibrium with those who are disgruntled with how things are, to achieve it.

Democracy is divisive, but we will never achieve a decent civic society by shunning away from it. The ultimate political paradox.

Dare we mention Shetland Independence in the mix?
Ah yes. The Shetland independence campaign that is virtually non existent beyond Daily Mail and Express headlines exploiting unionist bloggers to provide anti-change ammunition, and the one that has never returned any elected pro-independence supporting individual to Holyrood or Westminster?

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member
Why wouldn't we allow people to take up Scottish citizenship on that basis? Scotland needs more people, particularly to support more rural economies, and especially now that European freedom of movement has been curtailed.

Id be very happy to take up Scottish Citizenship on the basis you suggest (as a second passport that would gain me FOM with Europe one day) but the SNP has outlined Scottish Citizenship after independence. It would be for long residents of Scotland at time of independence, people born in Scotland and the children and grandchildren of people born in Scotland. Politically England and Wales would be bounced into creating their own new Citizenships on those sort of terms (they are very normal). I think FOM across Britiain would still be agreed but through reciprocal agreements not because of any shared Citizenship.

Edit: of course people from one part of Britain could move to and naturalise in one of the other successor states just like any other immigrant.

LocoCycle

I think FOM across Britiain would still be agreed but through reciprocal agreements not because of any shared Citizenship.

Citizenship isn't an issue. It's the rights different countries choose to grant citizens of other countries that matters. And as you are supposing (completely reasonably) that FOM would most likely be agreed across the British Isles, then the arguments about what colour of passport people have are mute.

The current UK-EU agreement recognises social security contributions and health care, and that's without FOM. I wouldn't expect a future rUK-Scotland deal to be any more restrictive.

I would like to see Scots seeking independence to look inwards and encourage a civil consensus on what a future constitution. We should agree on the process of writing one for a start. I think we need a second chamber of parliament, for example.

takno

Established Member
Citizenship isn't an issue. It's the rights different countries choose to grant citizens of other countries that matters. And as you are supposing (completely reasonably) that FOM would most likely be agreed across the British Isles, then the arguments about what colour of passport people have are mute.

The current UK-EU agreement recognises social security contributions and health care, and that's without FOM. I wouldn't expect a future rUK-Scotland deal to be any more restrictive.

I would like to see Scots seeking independence to look inwards and encourage a civil consensus on what a future constitution. We should agree on the process of writing one for a start. I think we need a second chamber of parliament, for example.
I'd definitely prefer a second chamber, a president and the Euro to the queen and hanging on the shirt-tails of the pound. One of the problems last time around is that they were at such pains to pretend that nothing changed that they made the whole thing look deceitful and not worth the hassle

etr221

What I foresee is, over the next couple of years, or maybe a bit longer, strong political moves in Scotland for independence, and in NI for Irish unification, demanding referenda on the issues: and that it is quite possible that - if London doesn't say yes to these - there will be unilateral, indicative referenda; and if these lead to 'leave UK' decisions, London will be faced with a dilemma - and if it continues to say no, a political and constitutional crisis. Either way (whether it says 'yes' or 'no') Scotland/NI leaving the UK is probable - the difference is how well tempered the negotiations and making the arrangements turn out to be (and whether violence is avoided). And all sorts of things will be up for discussion, as a few hundred years of union are unwound, and London, Edinburgh, Belfast, Dublin, etc all work out what they want (as distinct from what was said/promised before). And a desire for friendly future relations will be balanced - one way or the other - by political arguments - on both sides - veterans of the Brexit negotiations are likely to recall wistfully how well they went.

And as in Brexit, what was promised before the referenda may well not be what ends up being delivered.

As one piece I read (from time of the previous Scottish Indyref) concluded: 'Divorce isn’t nice. Divorce is expensive. Pretending otherwise is dishonest.'

Journeyman

Established Member
I'd definitely prefer a second chamber, a president and the Euro to the queen and hanging on the shirt-tails of the pound. One of the problems last time around is that they were at such pains to pretend that nothing changed that they made the whole thing look deceitful and not worth the hassle
Abso-bloody-lutely. Make Scotland a neutral republic and we'll talk. The previous plans changed too little to make it even remotely worthwhile. If the SNP want me to ever support them, it would take a pretty radical vision, plus a reassurance that huge steps would be taken to respect and involve the doubters in building a new nation.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Agreed, and there are already some moves towards drafting a constitution. This is just one link I've come across, and it is just a consultation, but gives an idea of what it might look like:

Interestingly, there is an article on citizenship...
Section 1.6. Citizenship: All persons, including adopted children, who were UK citizens immediately prior to independence, and were born in Scotland, or were legally resident in Scotland at independence, will become citizens of Scotland.

Section 1.7. All persons with a grandparent of Scots nationality have the right to be citizens of Scotland.

Section 1.8. Parliament will enact laws to regulate the acquisition of Scottish citizenship by adoption, marriage, descent, or naturalisation, and to specify the manner in which citizenship may be lost or renounced.

I would also prefer a second chamber and an elected head of state, but I fear this may be a sticking point for some. It would be a clean break from an archaic system.

MattA7

The Scottish government did announce that in the event of independence would-be Scottish citizens would be able to opt out of Scottish citizenship if the wished to do so which I intended to do but luckily it was a no vote so no problems.

As said before I’m far more concerned about losing the rights of abode in England and Wales than the FOM rejoining the EU would offer.

edit: slightly off topic but we also need to remember that the EU did give the UK a lot of exemptions that other EU countries didn’t have such as freedom from the Euro, leniency regarding adoption of the awful metric system and significant control over our immigration (we were exempt from the schengen zone) a independence Scotland likely wouldn’t have such exemptions and would have to adopt these undesirable things.

Last edited:

Chester1

Established Member

Its not mute because its reflective of an attempt at cakism in 2014 that hasn't been revised. When Theresa May said in parliament that Citizenship of rUK would be determined by rUK she was accused by the SNP of threatening Scots. It wasn't a threat but a statement of the blindingly obvious. SNP repeatedly said the UK allows dual citizenship so Scots would keep their British Citizenship. It was an attempt to water down the importance of the decision being made and on a decision that would not be the business of Scotland after it left.

Id like to see the home nations have a good relationship but Scotland should expect England to refound itself too if the UK breaks up partially or entirely. English identity has been subsumed almost completely into British identity for three centuries. A new English Citizenship would be an important part of a new English state. Wales would be in a similar position too. I think England and Wales could stick together for a generation after Scottish independence which would make the transition to 4 separate countries easier. I think there should be seperate referendums in both to decide. I don't think the other three nations should carry on like nothing happened. Unfortunately I expect England would carry on the UKs foreign policy, particularly in relation to the US.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Its not mute because its reflective of an attempt at cakism in 2014 that hasn't been revised. When Theresa May said in parliament that Citizenship of rUK would be determined by rUK she was accused by the SNP of threatening Scots. It wasn't a threat but a statement of the blindingly obvious. SNP repeatedly said the UK allows dual citizenship so Scots would keep their British Citizenship. It was an attempt to water down the importance of the decision being made and on a decision that would not be the business of Scotland after it left.

Id like to see the home nations have a good relationship but Scotland should expect England to refound itself too if the UK breaks up partially or entirely. English identity has been subsumed almost completely into British identity for three centuries. A new English Citizenship would be an important part of a new English state. Wales would be in a similar position too. I think England and Wales could stick together for a generation after Scottish independence which would make the transition to 4 separate countries easier. I think there should be seperate referendums in both to decide. I don't think the other three nations should carry on like nothing happened. Unfortunately I expect England would carry on the UKs foreign policy, particularly in relation to the US.
Oh dear. Forgive us for having the British Identity drown out your English identity for the last 300 years. From this side of the border it would appear otherwise, but don't for one minute feel that we're trying to prevent you from fulfilling your dream. In fact, by sheer weight of numbers you got what you wanted through Brexit. Never mind what Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales wanted, you managed to get rid of those pesky foreign foreigners and now that that particular goal has been achieved, you're more than happy to get rid of the native foreigners who apparently place such a yoke on your poor English shoulders.

In summary, what I glean from your posts is this:
  • Go your own way if you want to, but you can't do without us
  • You haven't really thought this through, have you?
  • You'll get what you're given and be thankful
If this was a domestic relationship, it'd be a fairly abusive one.

May I suggest that if you're so concerned about your lost English identity, you start a separate thread in which to rail against those whom you consider to be inferior, and leave this one for sensible discussion about a post-Brexit Scotland. English identity, as far as I'm concerned, is off-topic here. I have no problem with English people or how you identify yourselves, but I do have an issue with those who constantly accuse Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish of having a chip on their shoulder when it's fairly obvious where that chip actually resides.

It would have been a lot easier if England had declared independence from the rest of the UK and you could have had your bloody Brexit without causing any mayhem anywhere else.

takno

Established Member
The Scottish government did announce that in the event of independence would-be Scottish citizens would be able to opt out of Scottish citizenship if the wished to do so which I intended to do but luckily it was a no vote so no problems.

As said before I’m far more concerned about losing the rights of abode in England and Wales than the FOM rejoining the EU would offer.

edit: slightly off topic but we also need to remember that the EU did give the UK a lot of exemptions that other EU countries didn’t have such as freedom from the Euro, leniency regarding adoption of the awful metric system and significant control over our immigration (we were exempt from the schengen zone) a independence Scotland likely wouldn’t have such exemptions and would have to adopt these undesirable things.
None of those things are particularly undesirable, and opting out of them largely held Britain back and prevented us from seeing the full potential of EU membership. Sure, there's been a largely contrived narrative in recent years that the notoriously strong and stable Greek economy has been dragged off course by the Euro, but even 30 seconds honest review will show that it was a basket-case to start with, and the UK's needs would have been far closer to those of Germany's anyway, so we'd have benefitted.

As to your objection to the metric system, I'm honestly a bit bewildered. The only thing that hasn't gone metric is speed limits, pints in pubs and about 50% of milk. We'd have been better off just biting the bullet and doing it all in the 90s.

RT4038

Established Member
Oh dear. Forgive us for having the British Identity drown out your English identity for the last 300 years. From this side of the border it would appear otherwise, but don't for one minute feel that we're trying to prevent you from fulfilling your dream. In fact, by sheer weight of numbers you got what you wanted through Brexit. Never mind what Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales wanted, you managed to get rid of those pesky foreign foreigners and now that that particular goal has been achieved, you're more than happy to get rid of the native foreigners who apparently place such a yoke on your poor English shoulders.

In summary, what I glean from your posts is this:
  • Go your own way if you want to, but you can't do without us
  • You haven't really thought this through, have you?
  • You'll get what you're given and be thankful
If this was a domestic relationship, it'd be a fairly abusive one.

May I suggest that if you're so concerned about your lost English identity, you start a separate thread in which to rail against those whom you consider to be inferior, and leave this one for sensible discussion about a post-Brexit Scotland. English identity, as far as I'm concerned, is off-topic here. I have no problem with English people or how you identify yourselves, but I do have an issue with those who constantly accuse Scots/Welsh/Northern Irish of having a chip on their shoulder when it's fairly obvious where that chip actually resides.

It would have been a lot easier if England had declared independence from the rest of the UK and you could have had your bloody Brexit without causing any mayhem anywhere else.

A highly emotive issue ! Before people start getting too upset, I think we all have to realise that Scottish independence is not going to be some neat clean break, with clear advantages for anyone. A bit like Brexit, which was gone into mostly for emotional reasons, with certain assumptions that have turned out to be wide of the mark, or at best a long work in progress. It is going to set all sorts of hares running, many which were thought dormant or did not exist. Countries have split up before, however often this has been fairly acrimonious. Rejection is a raw emotion.

The issue raised by @Chester1 is going to be raised during any kind of Scottish Independence negotiations and therefore is appropriate to be debated here - the thought that millions of Scots ancestry could claim E&W citizenship (and dual citizenship of Scotland) whilst only relatively few of English ancestry can do the vice versa, is not going to sit well.

I would point out that Wales also voted for Brexit, along with England.

Discussion about English identity is more appropriate for a new thread.

JamesT

Established Member
If rUK carries on as a successor state after Scottish Independence, I think the most likely result will be everyone who has British citizenship at the break point retains it, but after that point will be the rules of the separate countries.
The other model is the breakup of Czechoslovakia. In that case, neither country acted as the successor to the union. National assets were divided on a population basis and people gained citizenship of only one of the new countries.

XAM2175

Established Member
The issue raised by @Chester1 is going to be raised during any kind of Scottish Independence negotiations and therefore is appropriate to be debated here - the thought that millions of Scots ancestry could claim E&W citizenship (and dual citizenship of Scotland) whilst only relatively few of English ancestry can do the vice versa, is not going to sit well.
Forgive me if I've missed a point in the discussion but I'm still not understanding the grounds for these concerns. Ignoring the hypothetical future of British citizenship following independence (which is beyond the topic of this thread anyway), the current rules only allow for British citizenship to be transmitted to the first generation born outside the UK - so people who are already British citizens at the time of independence will be able to pass that to their children born in Scotland, but those children will not be able to pass it on any further. It's no different to how the children born to British parents anywhere else in the world today can inherit British citizenship from their parents, but cannot pass it on to their children. So given that entitlement to new British citizenship by virtue of connection to Scotland only will cease when Scotland ceases to be part of the UK, the pool of people who can claim British citizenship in Scotland becomes essentially finite.

Indeed the proposed Scottish rules are less restrictive then this, as (like the current Irish rules) they'll allow two generations of descent. The British rules instead provide only for the UK Ancestry visa, which allows people with one or more grandparents born a British citizen in the UK (including Ireland before 31 March 1922) to live and work in the UK - though in fairness it can be used as a pathway to naturalisation.

The key point is that - by UK law as it currently stands - people who already hold British citizenship, regardless of how they're entitled to it, won't lose it as a result of Scottish independence, and thus won't lose their right of abode in the rest of the UK. Their Scottish citizenship, should they claim it, will be in addition to any they already hold.

As to your objection to the metric system, I'm honestly a bit bewildered. The only thing that hasn't gone metric is speed limits, pints in pubs and about 50% of milk. We'd have been better off just biting the bullet and doing it all in the 90s.
I'm a bit bewildered by that too, if I'm honest. Even Australia managed virtually-complete metrication between 1971 and 1981 with no pressure from any international organisations and very little genuine bother.

I would also prefer a second chamber and an elected head of state, but I fear this may be a sticking point for some. It would be a clean break from an archaic system.
Personally I'm ambivalent about monarchy. Retaining it wouldn't be my preference but I can see that doing so could be an important concession for people on the unionist side. And the Royal Coat of Arms for a separate Kingdom of Scotland is really rather fancy (with double the number of unicorns! :D)

Chester1

Established Member
A highly emotive issue ! Before people start getting too upset, I think we all have to realise that Scottish independence is not going to be some neat clean break, with clear advantages for anyone. A bit like Brexit, which was gone into mostly for emotional reasons, with certain assumptions that have turned out to be wide of the mark, or at best a long work in progress. It is going to set all sorts of hares running, many which were thought dormant or did not exist. Countries have split up before, however often this has been fairly acrimonious. Rejection is a raw emotion.

I would point out that Wales also voted for Brexit, along with England.

Discussion about English identity is more appropriate for a new thread.

Exactly. I genuinely don't care about what Scotland does (and wish it well) as long as England has its own identity in the end, including Citizenship. I don't want an English identity that is merged into British, it causes too many problems for all. The fact that such a view gets that kind of reaction shows this debate, both on this site and in the public will turn nasty. I don't hold any ill will to Scotland but apparently wanting England to have a separate identity and Citizenship to Britain / UK deserves scorn and venom!

LocoCycle

The FOM I was referring to was that currently provided by the Common Travel Area covering the British Isles, not that provided by the European Single Market.

Chester1

Established Member
Forgive me if I've missed a point in the discussion but I'm still not understanding the grounds for these concerns. Ignoring the hypothetical future of British citizenship following independence (which is beyond the topic of this thread anyway), the current rules only allow for British citizenship to be transmitted to the first generation born outside the UK - so people who are already British citizens at the time of independence will be able to pass that to their children born in Scotland, but those children will not be able to pass it on any further. It's no different to how the children born to British parents anywhere else in the world today can inherit British citizenship from their parents, but cannot pass it on to their children. So given that entitlement to new British citizenship by virtue of connection to Scotland only will cease when Scotland ceases to be part of the UK, the pool of people who can claim British citizenship in Scotland becomes essentially finite.

Indeed the proposed Scottish rules are less restrictive then this, as (like the current Irish rules) they'll allow two generations of descent. The British rules instead provide only for the UK Ancestry visa, which allows people with one or more grandparents born a British citizen in the UK (including Ireland before 31 March 1922) to live and work in the UK - though in fairness it can be used as a pathway to naturalisation.

The key point is that - by UK law as it currently stands - people who already hold British citizenship, regardless of how they're entitled to it, won't lose it as a result of Scottish independence, and thus won't lose their right of abode in the rest of the UK. Their Scottish citizenship, should they claim it, will be in addition to any they already hold.

I'm a bit bewildered by that too, if I'm honest. Even Australia managed virtually-complete metrication between 1971 and 1981 with no pressure from any international organisations and very little genuine bother.

Personally I'm ambivalent about monarchy. Retaining it wouldn't be my preference but I can see that doing so could be an important concession for people on the unionist side. And the Royal Coat of Arms for a separate Kingdom of Scotland is really rather fancy (with double the number of unicorns! :D)

Your totally missing my point. British Citizenship will disappear with the breakup of the UK. It might linger as a placeholder English Citizenship for a bit but then it will be replaced. Creation of the Irish Free State a century ago isn't a roadmap for citizenship after the break up of the UK!

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I think its a misconception that the English identity has been held back by Britishness. I would say that the English identity was good and strong up until after the War, when the left began to associate Englishness with racism. Since then, the British identity has rather smothered both the English and Scottish identities and no one is able to really define it. New Labour can take a lot of the blame here, who were obsessed with 'what it meant to be British'-particuarly Gordon Brown. Possibly because they hated nationalism of any kind (Scottish or English) and saw Britishness as a hollow identity compatible with multiculturalism and globalism. Plus, Brown and Blair were Scots themselves who spent much of their careers in England and have an equal affinity to both sides of the border-arguably.

That's why I believe, perhaps paradoxically, an English Parliament is somewhat of an alternative to seperation, because it would allow Englishness to breathe outside Britishness-and turn the British identity into an "Anglo-Scot" identity along with the UK Government itself. It would also mean the UK gov is made equal in the eyes of both the English and the Scots, so no more would London be "The English government trying to impose itself on Scotland"-which is the ridiculous situation we have now.

takno

Established Member
I think its a misconception that the English identity has been held back by Britishness. I would say that the English identity was good and strong up until after the War, when the left began to associate Englishness with racism. Since then, the British identity has rather smothered both the English and Scottish identities and no one is able to really define it. New Labour can take a lot of the blame here, who were obsessed with 'what it meant to be British'-particuarly Gordon Brown. Possibly because they hated nationalism of any kind (Scottish or English) and saw Britishness as a hollow identity compatible with multiculturalism and globalism. Plus, Brown and Blair were Scots themselves who spent much of their careers in England and have an equal affinity to both sides of the border-arguably.

That's why I believe, perhaps paradoxically, an English Parliament is somewhat of an alternative to seperation, because it would allow Englishness to breathe outside Britishness-and turn the British identity into an "Anglo-Scot" identity along with the UK Government itself. It would also mean the UK gov is made equal in the eyes of both the English and the Scots, so no more would London be "The English government trying to impose itself on Scotland"-which is the ridiculous situation we have now.
I think England is too big and diverse to really hold together an identity in the same way as Scotland. It's true that a lot of the trappings of Scottish identity were themselves made up or tacked together in the 19th century from very different island, highland and lowland cultures. It's easier to manage that though, than to convince people from Yorkshire or Cornwall that they are basically the same thing as Londoners. Personally the identity I've always felt most strongly was European, and since that was torn away from me with no consideration at all, so mostly my attitude is a pox on all your houses, and I'll quite happily watch all your identities perish.

A lack of proper devolution in England is one of the key missing pieces which makes devolution harder to carry off, because you will always have complaints about EVEL and a failure to properly allocate things as UK vs local spending. The ideal would probably have been something a bit smaller than England. Partly that;s because I don't think England is a coherent enough unit, and is too big to run regional affairs effectively. It would also have had the effect of blunting both English and Scottish nationalism.

English devolution wasn't done though. In its place we just have the deeply-divisive Mayoral system where minor political celebrities fight it out to see who can hoover up the most minor powers from their local authorities. That leaves the English feeling bitter, and the Scottish, Welsh and Irish feeling othered (whether they like it or not). The only people who are really happy are the increasingly remote politicians in Westminster, who are basically just closing down all the devolved services in England and focusing on the really important decisions, like hollowed-out volcano or Death-Star.

MattA7

Aren’t people from the Isle of Man, Jersey, Gibraltar and Guernsey considered full British citizens despite their country’s not being part of the UK. If that’s possible why couldn’t a independent Scotland have a similar arrangement to those nations.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I think England is too big and diverse to really hold together an identity in the same way as Scotland. It's true that a lot of the trappings of Scottish identity were themselves made up or tacked together in the 19th century from very different island, highland and lowland cultures. It's easier to manage that though, than to convince people from Yorkshire or Cornwall that they are basically the same thing as Londoners.

I do agree with you here, Yorkshire has an identity stronger than any English region and could well be a nationalist movement one day. London is the size of a small European country anyway and since the old cockney culture declined its English ties has too. Perhaps an England devolved along old Saxon lines- Wessex/Mercia/Anglia etc might be the way forward.

Personally the identity I've always felt most strongly was European, and since that was torn away from me with no consideration at all, so mostly my attitude is a pox on all your houses, and I'll quite happily watch all your identities perish.

Not quite sure if your joking or not but thats an unnecessarily extreme view to take. Especially when 1,000,000 Scots also voted Leave.

A lack of proper devolution in England is one of the key missing pieces which makes devolution harder to carry off, because you will always have complaints about EVEL and a failure to properly allocate things as UK vs local spending. The ideal would probably have been something a bit smaller than England. Partly that;s because I don't think England is a coherent enough unit, and is too big to run regional affairs effectively. It would also have had the effect of blunting both English and Scottish nationalism

Agreed.

English devolution wasn't done though. In its place we just have the deeply-divisive Mayoral system where minor political celebrities fight it out to see who can hoover up the most minor powers from their local authorities. That leaves the English feeling bitter, and the Scottish, Welsh and Irish feeling othered (whether they like it or not). The only people who are really happy are the increasingly remote politicians in Westminster, who are basically just closing down all the devolved services in England and focusing on the really important decisions, like hollowed-out volcano or Death-Star.

Haven't thought about English mayoralty much before, but the pandemic has highlighted in London just how powerless the Mayor is here. Also, England doesn't actually have 'cities'-just conurbations. Would be much better for morale if Merseyside and Tyneside were Greater Liverpool and Greater Newcastle like their London counterpart.

Chester1

Established Member
Aren’t people from the Isle of Man, Jersey, Gibraltar and Guernsey considered full British citizens despite their country’s not being part of the UK. If that’s possible why couldn’t a independent Scotland have a similar arrangement to those nations.

Because Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. Take one or two of the three out and the country left isn't Britain!

British Citizenship will likely die with the the UK. Potentially England, Scotland and Wales could negoiate a joint British Citizenship to go alongside their national Citizenship but that is far from guaranteed.

I think we are in a bad situation because the only way for English people to express their identity is through Britain and that naturally causes problems for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The solution is to split up but that means a lot of joint stuff including shared Citizenship will most likely go. I can't see an independent Wales or Scotland wanting to jointly issue British passports with England.

takno

Established Member
Personally the identity I've always felt most strongly was European, and since that was torn away from me with no consideration at all, so mostly my attitude is a pox on all your houses, and I'll quite happily watch all your identities perish.

Not quite sure if your joking or not but thats an unnecessarily extreme view to take. Especially when 1,000,000 Scots also voted Leave.
I wasn't joking, and I meant it about Scottish identity just as much as English. I grew up in the West Midlands, which is too often the butt of everybody's jokes to really assert an identity, and I've lived in Yorkshire and Scotland, but always felt more like I was in them than of them. Meanwhile I was still a child when the single market opened up, I regularly travel all over Europe and I can speak 6 other EU languages to varying degrees. I'm European to the core, and the fact that I was stripped of that by people who still refuse to understand that it's even a thing is, to me, deeply disturbing.

MattA7

Because Britain is England, Scotland and Wales. Take one or two of the three out and the country left isn't Britain!

British Citizenship will likely die with the the UK. Potentially England, Scotland and Wales could negoiate a joint British Citizenship to go alongside their national Citizenship but that is far from guaranteed.

I think we are in a bad situation because the only way for English people to express their identity is through Britain and that naturally causes problems for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The solution is to split up but that means a lot of joint stuff including shared Citizenship will most likely go. I can't see an independent Wales or Scotland wanting to jointly issue British passports with England.

if it wasn’t for Scotland would want to rejoin the EU then the 3 nations could have a freedom of movement agreement where citizens have freedom of movement in other member states. However Scotland EU membership could potentially complicate a free movement agreement between the 3 nations as England and Wales would be concerned about EU Nationals entering via Scotland.

As someone else had pointed out it’s also worth considering that 38% of Scots (more than 1 in 3) did vote leave which although not the majority is a significant minority. It’s not like Gibraltar where only 5% (1 in 20) of the population voted leave.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.