• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

scotrail 322s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng274

Just seen a north berwick train worked by a lone 158, have the 322s returned to their original leaseholder?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eng274

I don't think so. Sometimes 158s and 170s turn up on the North Berwick services when there aren't enough 322s available for whatever reason.

Ah ok :) I saw a 2x156 set heading west towards Waverley at Abbeyhill, thought it was unusual for a through Fife service from Newcraighall to be worked by 156s so assumed it was a North Berwick. Two NB diagrams worked by DMUs has to be pretty rare though!

Last edited by a moderator:

Scotrail84

Established Member
Ah ok :) I saw a 2x156 set heading west towards Waverley at Abbeyhill, thought it was unusual for a through Fife service from Newcraighall to be worked by 156s so assumed it was a North Berwick. Two NB diagrams worked by DMUs has to be pretty rare though!

What time was this at? 158 740 was on the North Berwick line today due to 322 shortage. 322s are becoming more and more prone to faults and failures. My guess is due to thier lease nearly being up they wont over spend on repairing them as they are going down south to NXEA
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It could have been a Dunbar?

158 870 or 871 worked a Dunbar last week. The first Scotrail diesel to got here for many years?

Eng274

What time was this at? 158 740 was on the North Berwick line today due to 322 shortage. 322s are becoming more and more prone to faults and failures. My guess is due to thier lease nearly being up they wont over spend on repairing them as they are going down south to NXEA

158 870 or 871 worked a Dunbar last week. The first Scotrail diesel to got here for many years?

The 2x156 passed me at Abbeyhill at about 6:50 bound for Waverley, the 158 was approaching Prestonpans eastbound at about 7:35.

scotsman

Established Member
482 jacked in again, so a 158 had to sub.

The 322s are now going to be around till November, with the lack of 380s

Scotrail84

Established Member
322 ran across from the west earlier so the 158 that is currently working the line may be replaced.

Thanks to those for the gen.

route101

Established Member
When the NB loco hauled services were operating Mon to Fri , services Sat and sun were 158S . Ive seen 156s at Haymarket Depot recently so 156s may be based there now

Scotrail84

Established Member
When the NB loco hauled services were operating Mon to Fri , services Sat and sun were 158S . Ive seen 156s at Haymarket Depot recently so 156s may be based there now

I dont think they are based there i think the just go in to get fuelled and any light repairs made. Also to get them out of waverley to free up platforms. Nearly all centrals are now 156s with the odd 158 appearing from time to time. There is also a 156 booked to work the 19 18 KDY service.

Eng274

[/B]

I dont think they are based there i think the just go in to get fuelled and any light repairs made. Also to get them out of waverley to free up platforms. Nearly all centrals are now 156s with the odd 158 appearing from time to time. There is also a 156 booked to work the 19 18 KDY service.

The last train into Edinburgh from Fife is sometimes a 156, makes the trip a little bit more interesting! Never seen many 156s at haymarket depot myself.

route101

Established Member
Was the Edinburgh to Carmoustie service operated by a 156 at one point or im dreaming .

rail-britain

Established Member
The 322s are now going to be around till November, with the lack of 380s
Not according to HSBC Rail, arrangements have already been made to receive these and utilise at NXEA from May 2011

There are currently enough four car Class 380 units to operate the Glasgow - Edinburgh - North Berwick service
A contigency plan already exists for this, as this would leave the Glasgow - Ayr service short of four units

It is possible that by May a further six units will arrive which will eventually be accepted by ScotRail
The ones currently being operated will then be withdrawn from service so that they can modified and then accepted by ScotRail

Established Member
Not according to HSBC Rail, arrangements have already been made to receive these and utilise at NXEA from May 2011
l

Really?

As no-one ar NXEA is aware of this and they are NOT diagrammed for May 11, or Dec 11, or May 12...
It is possible that by May a further six units will arrive which will eventually be accepted by ScotRail
The ones currently being operated will then be withdrawn from service so that they can modified and then accepted by ScotRail

Also, how are those ones already operating going to be withdrawn, to be modified to be accepted if they are already operating and therefore have been accepted by default??

Eng274

Was the Edinburgh to Carmoustie service operated by a 156 at one point or im dreaming .

up to 2004 anything could turn up on the commuter routes, 150s 156s 158s or 170s. After the 150s went south and more turbostars arrived, (im speaking as a frequent fife traveller here) the shorter routes were generally 158/170 and the 156s worked west highland, glq-cumbernauld, edi-glc via shotts etc. At one time it may have used a 156 but its almost a cert to be 158/170 just now.

scotsman

Established Member
Also, how are those ones already operating going to be withdrawn, to be modified to be accepted if they are already operating and therefore have been accepted by default??

I'm suspicious too - but NBW is not a DOO job, so there'd have to be controls available for the Conductor (presumably these are already fitted, but I can't see any other reason for modification)

CarterUSM

Established Member
I'm suspicious too - but NBW is not a DOO job, so there'd have to be controls available for the Conductor (presumably these are already fitted, but I can't see any other reason for modification)

Indeed, the controls are fitted throughout the unit. The accepted units have also had a software update recently, perhaps that is the modification to which rail Britain refers? At a recent briefing I was informed that May seems to be a likely date for the 380's introduction to North Berwick, though it is possible that it could well be sooner than that.

rail-britain

Established Member
None of the units currently in operation by ScotRail have been accepted by them
They have agreed to operate these on the proviso that the list of issues is resolved on the ones due to be received

Some minor changes and updates have been applied to those currently in operation
However, the major modifications have not, and for that the options are to return to manufacturer or have this carried out by the taking the units out of service
The current plan is to have this done once the next batch of units arrive, these can then enter service, to be accepted by ScotRail

The existing units can then be retested by ScotRail and considered for acceptance
The timescale for that is autumn 2011

The_Stig

None of the units currently in operation by ScotRail have been accepted by them
They have agreed to operate these on the proviso that the list of issues is resolved on the ones due to be received

Yes they have. There are around 9 units accepted by ScotRail, these were accepted before the current problems became apparent.

rail-britain

Established Member
There are around 9 units accepted by ScotRail, these were accepted before the current problems became apparent.
Unfortunately not the case
Six units have been accepted for limited passenger use and on limited routes, but that was as far as the process got

None have been approved and accepted for full use
Details are still showing with Network Rail as Nil (as at Friday 21 January 2011)

The_Stig

Unfortunately not the case
Six units have been accepted for limited passenger use and on limited routes, but that was as far as the process got

None have been approved and accepted for full use
Details are still showing with Network Rail as Nil (as at Friday 21 January 2011)

Very well, they have not been accepted by Network Rail, ScotRail, yes.

rail-britain

Established Member
Very well, they have not been accepted by Network Rail, ScotRail, yes.
Network Rail only keep a record of what each TOC has approved to operate and then accepted (also listed by route)
Another example are the additional Class 390 units
They also are not listed by Network Rail, but are showing as approved for limited use

As previous I have already confirmed earlier this week that ScotRail have approved six units for limited use, but not accepted them (see above for full details) and the process to be undertaken to resubmit them to ScotRail for acceptance

The_Stig

Network Rail only keep a record of what each TOC has approved to operate and then accepted (also listed by route)
Another example are the additional Class 390 units
They also are not listed by Network Rail, but are showing as approved for limited use

As previous I have already confirmed earlier this week that ScotRail have approved six units for limited use, but not accepted them (see above for full details) and the process to be undertaken to resubmit them to ScotRail for acceptance

Ok, your freedom of information requests are more accurate than what I was told.

Scotrail84

Established Member
The last train into Edinburgh from Fife is sometimes a 156, makes the trip a little bit more interesting! Never seen many 156s at haymarket depot myself.

Are you talking about a sunday? The 2155 circle used to be a 156. Not now though

No booked 156 traction on the last trains from fife into Edb at present. 1B42 is booked a turbo from Abn to Ebd (all stops). 1K10 i think it is from Pth to Edb (all stops via Dunfermline) is booked a 158 but you sometimes get a 170 on it and sometimes its a 5car.

Eng274

Are you talking about a sunday? The 2155 circle used to be a 156. Not now though

No booked 156 traction on the last trains from fife into Edb at present. 1B42 is booked a turbo from Abn to Ebd (all stops). 1K10 i think it is from Pth to Edb (all stops via Dunfermline) is booked a 158 but you sometimes get a 170 on it and sometimes its a 5car.

The last train most of the time is a 158/170 or sometimes a combination of the 2. Its only been twice that a 156 has shown up from what I can remember, so they could have been Sundays both times (my use of the route is pretty sporadic). This was last summer-ish, not had a 156 recently though which tells me it may have been short notice replacements.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Isent an Afternoon service on sunday out of Edinburgh a 156?

Not that i know of. The 1015 Sun only fife circle used to be booked 156 traction (as did the 2155 Sun only) this unit would do the circle then go right out on the 1226 West Calder service.

I mentioned earlier that the 1909 stopping service Edb - Kdy (via Dalgety Bay) is booked a 156 traction Mon - Sat but other than that i dont think there is are any 156s booked to work services out of Edinburgh other than services to Glasgow Central. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.