• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail class 156 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

This looks interesting - there's a photo of the new seats and carpet in the article.

They'll still be the same 156s under the hood though, with the incredibly loud motors that shake the entire carriage.

https://www.transport.gov.scot/news/latest-scotrail-fleet-upgrades-on-track-for-delivery/

Latest ScotRail fleet upgrades on track for delivery

On show was the latest upgraded class 156 diesel train, part of £16m refurbishment programme, It features new seats along with power sockets, new flooring, livery, accessible toilets and dedicated wheelchair spaces.

Owned by Angel Trains and leased to the ScotRail Alliance, the unit has had a full internal and external repaint plus energy efficient lighting and Wi-Fi installed.

Humza Yousaf, Minister for Transport and the Islands said

“We are investing £5 billion in Scotland’s railways to 2019 to ensure that as many people as possible have access to a modern, efficient rail network. In recent years we have introduced 160 extra carriages with an extra 180 to follow. This delivers more than 50% extra carriages since 2007 in the ScotRail fleet.

“As well as introducing new trains, we are modernising the existing fleet such as these class 156s. This will make a real difference for passengers, including myself as I use these trains regularly, delivering better on train facilities and making fleets more accessible all across Scotland. This builds on seven months continuous improvement in franchise performance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jzw95

Would be interesting to see some photos from head height. The current 156s might be a bit noisy, but they have lovely open views (low seat backs) with lots of tables aligned with the windows. The transparent luggage racks add to the feeling of openness. It's difficult to make out in the photo in the link, but it looks like few tables and high backs. Not sure this will actually be an improvement when travelling on the West Highland line. :cry:

FS-2-11

Humza Yousaf, Minister for Transport and the Islands said
(...)
This builds on seven months continuous improvement in franchise performance.

This is like the Soviet Union boasting of record tractor production. Every morning - every single morning - ScotRail are tweeting details of what trains will be short-formed: door faults, brake faults, coupler faults.

If they are boasting "seven months of continuous improvement", they're clearly measuring the wrong things :roll:

SGS

I wonder if they're going to do something about the heating on these? They always seem to be freezing.

Scotrail84

Established Member
I wonder if they're going to do something about the heating on these? They always seem to be freezing.

The heating has always been an issue. The heat control system was modified a few years ago, saloon heating when it was on was always toastie in my experience.

BMIFlyer

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_8104.jpg
    IMG_8104.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_8102.jpg
    IMG_8102.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_8103.jpg
    IMG_8103.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 271

alexf380

Established Member
Did we really expect anything else? :lol:
I think it looks pretty decent for a short enough journey to Kilmarnock or Falkirk Grahamston as it will often do, but I fear that when it shows on the Carlisle turn it may be a bit uncomfortable after a while.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Would be interesting to see some photos from head height. The current 156s might be a bit noisy, but they have lovely open views (low seat backs) with lots of tables aligned with the windows. The transparent luggage racks add to the feeling of openness. It's difficult to make out in the photo in the link, but it looks like few tables and high backs. Not sure this will actually be an improvement when travelling on the West Highland line. :cry:

Isn't the longer-term plan for the WHL to get "Scenic Stock" 158s?*

*subject to route clearance work.

jzw95

Thanks, BMIFlyer, much appreciated. I'm pleasantly surprised! Your photo is a lot more appealing than the Scot.gov one of the floor. :) Overall, seems to have kept the light, airy feel, and great window alignment with plenty of tables. The seat backs are higher, which will obscure the panoramic views, but I guess there's no getting away from that with current safety requirements.

It really helps when the vestibule doors are kept closed. Trying to train passengers to close them behind them, not so easy!

cf111

Established Member
Isn't the longer-term plan for the WHL to get "Scenic Stock" 158s?*

*subject to route clearance work.

I think this plan has been shelved, I'm not 100% on that though as I think I heard it on here!

I was on a ScotRail 156 for the first time in a long time last week and it was very, very tired.

Altnabreac

Established Member
I think this plan has been shelved, I'm not 100% on that though as I think I heard it on here!

I was on a ScotRail 156 for the first time in a long time last week and it was very, very tired.

There's been claims on here it is shelved but nothing official.

Someone else on here also claimed to have shared a train with Humza Yousaf who told them 158s for WHL was still on. So you pays your money and takes your choice.

I've always liked 156s personally. This refurb looks good. Hope to get one soon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've always liked 156s personally. This refurb looks good. Hope to get one soon.

Yes, I agree. The seating, FWIW, appears to be in the original layout, which has plenty of tables. 156s are fairly constrained (despite just being a long tube) by under-seat equipment[1] so there's limited scope to change it.

I think it looks good - high-mounted ironing boards will help with the view, and it looks to be a high-quality job.

[1] That's the reason the First North Western 150 refurbs didn't change the layouts, so the /1s are different from /2s - under-seat equipment would need to be moved at much higher cost.

Established Member
I wonder if the sockets will be any more reliable than the ones on the 158s, which I find to be tripped out as often as they're working. 170 power - where it exists - is a lot steadier.

the refurb jobs look good on the 156 units for Scotrail but the quality of workmanship at KB Springburn is dire. The driving cabs have paint overspray everywhere, safety labels missing and the driving seats are still rubbish.

2 refurbished 156 units have been failed and taken out of service at GLC this morning - one due to serious water leaks in the roof of both coaches which has resulted in passengers being soaked and puddles of Water on the luggage racks and tables. Twitter is not looking good for Scotrail 156 refurb units today.

fgwrich

Established Member
the refurb jobs look good on the 156 units for Scotrail but the quality of workmanship at KB Springburn is dire. The driving cabs have paint overspray everywhere, safety labels missing and the driving seats are still rubbish.

2 refurbished 156 units have been failed and taken out of service at GLC this morning - one due to serious water leaks in the roof of both coaches which has resulted in passengers being soaked and puddles of Water on the luggage racks and tables. Twitter is not looking good for Scotrail 156 refurb units today.

Doesn't bode well for the future of Springburn but sadly it seems to be the same standard workmanship from Knorr-Bremse these days. Wolverton seems to be good at similar poor workmanship - you only have to see the 456s which came back to SWT with coupler issues / wiring issues etc to see how poor they've become.

Is this refurbishment covering the entire ScotRail 156 fleet - finally standardising the interiors then? Or will it be like the initial "Inverness Set" 158s of only a certain amount.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The refurbished unit was on the 1733 Glasgow Ctl-East Kilbride today so I had a short trip. Seats were rock hard but my back eventually got used to it, and the sockets did seem to work okay!

I just can't get over the lack of punctuation on the internal displays...

Clansman

Established Member
will there be toilets fitted to the 156 that works Falkirk - Glasgow? I remember having a train ride from hell in one

Yes, there are toilets on all of them, and they'll be replaced with newer ones as they are refurbished.

Carntyne

Doesn't bode well for the future of Springburn but sadly it seems to be the same standard workmanship from Knorr-Bremse these days. Wolverton seems to be good at similar poor workmanship - you only have to see the 456s which came back to SWT with coupler issues / wiring issues etc to see how poor they've become.

Is this refurbishment covering the entire ScotRail 156 fleet - finally standardising the interiors then? Or will it be like the initial "Inverness Set" 158s of only a certain amount.

38 of them, another 10 will leave next December.

Established Member
Puts Northerns supposed 'refurb' to shame that's for sure!

Well yes except for the choice of seats!

The one thing which would really improve the 156's in my view would be powered carriage end doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.