• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail conductor training

Status
Not open for further replies.

catmacd1974

Hi there just accepted new role as train conductor and was wondering if anyone could me some insight into the training.
How long the course is - what to expect - classroom / on job.

I've heard so many conflicting stories as to what is actually involved with course work.
Any tips/advice -
All info greatfully appreciated
Many thabks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail84

Established Member
Hi there just accepted new role as train conductor and was wondering if anyone could me some insight into the training.
How long the course is - what to expect - classroom / on job.

I've heard so many conflicting stories as to what is actually involved with course work.
Any tips/advice -
All info greatfully appreciated
Many thabks

2 weeks rules, 2 weeks commercial, a week or two for traction depending on how many different units/coaching stock you will work, 2 weeks with a conductor instructor working trains before rules exam and getting passed out. Timescales may be different depending on location.

Spikeylado

i started Sept 4th as a conductor with ATW and wont pass out until the end of Jan after route learning so there is obviously a big difference in training across the border!

Scotrail84

Established Member
i started Sept 4th as a conductor with ATW and wont pass out until the end of Jan after route learning so there is obviously a big difference in training across the border!

I actually forgot about route learning, I would estimate 4-6 months from the start date passing out.

AS1990

I've just been through the training with Scotrail and recently fully passed out as a Conductor.

In terms of the course length this will depend on a few things. Where is your depot? and are you an external or Internal applicant? If you are internal, you wont need the Induction, and depending on your role, you may not need the Commercial course. If you are external, expect : 1 week induction course into company, 2 weeks of Commercial training (tickets and machines), 2 weeks of Rules. This will be conducted at Atrium Court. After this, you will be sent back to your depot. Different depots can work differently from this point. Personally, I did my routes. This was about 7 weeks in total. I had to learn a lot of routes and I was taken round all the major stations and shown around. You are assessed after every route with questions so make sure you are paying attention and taking down notes. When I finished my routes i went out with my instructor. 2 days spent on traction types, and 10 days shadowing. You will be given a task book to fill out for your time with your Instructor that will cover all aspects of the role. There's a section on lineside features so make sure you have that when you are route learning so you can take note of locations you see everything at. Its all pretty straight forward to be honest. It may seem a little daunting at first, but remember its in their best interests to get you fully passed out and working trains.

Apologies if i have missed anything, Its 01:30 and im just home from a backshift. Dont hesitate to ask if you have anymore questions.

Donhamer

How are you enjoying the job AS1990? Did your pay increase straight after passing out?

I was recently placed in a Reserve Pool for 6 months for a Conductor role at Dumfries. Not really expecting much to come from that but trying to stay positive.

AS1990

How are you enjoying the job AS1990? Did your pay increase straight after passing out?

I was recently placed in a Reserve Pool for 6 months for a Conductor role at Dumfries. Not really expecting much to come from that but trying to stay positive.

I’m enjoying it so far. It’s good to be out on my own finally! Yea, as soon as I received all my paperwork back and signed off my wage jumped up to the full rate from that day!

Just hang in there, they have obviously seen something in you to place you in the pool. Just remain positive and hopefully you’ll receive the call! Good Luck.

Donhamer

Thanks for the reply. There's a Conductor retiring in March/April of next year and another becoming a driver at some point so hopefully something will come of it for me.

iain17

AS1990 i am 15 and live in oban looking to get a apprenticeship next year when im 16 with scotrail its really hard though because oban is a small town and dont always have roles going thank you for your information on training though really helpful.

CMckenzie

Evening!

I’ve recently applied for the role of conductor based at Inverness. Can you tell me how long it took for them to get back to you in regards to being successful or not for a assessment day?

Also do Scotrail put you up in accommodation for your 6 month training in Glasgow?

Any info from you guys would be greatfully appreciated

AS1990

Evening!

I’ve recently applied for the role of conductor based at Inverness. Can you tell me how long it took for them to get back to you in regards to being successful or not for a assessment day?

Also do Scotrail put you up in accommodation for your 6 month training in Glasgow?

Any info from you guys would be greatfully appreciated

Some people hear back within a few weeks, some people hear back within a few months. Can’t really give you a time frame I’m afraid. No idea how many roles are going either.

With regards to accommodation, yes they will put you up in a hotel for your training period in Glasgow. It won’t be 6 months in Glasgow tho. Trainees were receiving 1 week induction, 2 week Commercial & 2 weeks Rules before being sent back to their home depots where you will carry out route learning, traction Training and spending time with your instructor. I have heard however that training is being streamlined in an attempt to get more conductors passed out quicker. 4 weeks worth our commercial and rules were being condensed into 12 days!

CMckenzie

Thanks for the response guys, I just got my email this evening inviting me to an assessment centre next week which I’m delighted with! I’ve had a look over the pre assesment day booklet trying to familiarise myself with the tests I may be faced with. Some of them “rate the outcomes of the situation from 1-4” seem quite challenging as a lot of the answers are very similar! When it comes to customer service and being cost efficient I take it the customer service outcomes is there top priority...

Any info on what you guys experienced at your assessment day would be much appreciated.

CMckenzie

Some people hear back within a few weeks, some people hear back within a few months. Can’t really give you a time frame I’m afraid. No idea how many roles are going either.

With regards to accommodation, yes they will put you up in a hotel for your training period in Glasgow. It won’t be 6 months in Glasgow tho. Trainees were receiving 1 week induction, 2 week Commercial & 2 weeks Rules before being sent back to their home depots where you will carry out route learning, traction Training and spending time with your instructor. I have heard however that training is being streamlined in an attempt to get more conductors passed out quicker. 4 weeks worth our commercial and rules were being condensed into 12 days!

AS1990 How long were you on training salary before getting checked out?

Bennski

Do you know how big that pool is? Like how many people are in it? I am within D&G and looking to join the rail industry but obviously not many positions come available round here. I know of one person who worked at Lockerbie transferred over to Dumfries to train as a conductor. Just wondering how long you were waiting to be put in the pool...

Sipowitz

@CMckenzie, Congratulations if your able can you tell me when you applied for the position? I'm just wondering as the position was advertised then immediately re-advertised, i'm still trying to work out why that was.

CMckenzie

@CMckenzie, Congratulations if your able can you tell me when you applied for the position? I'm just wondering as the position was advertised then immediately re-advertised, i'm still trying to work out why that was.

Hi Sipowitz, I applied 4 days ago. I did notice it was advertised a few months ago, maybe they have struggled to find suitable candidates for Inverness, who knows.

AS1990

A
AS1990 How long were you on training salary before getting checked out?

All depends on your depot with regards to routes and tractions needing to be learnt. Personally I spent 4 weeks in the school, around 7 weeks worth of route learning, 3 weeks of traction and out with CI. Then had another 2 weeks waiting after my final rules for my paperwork to come back before I was officially passed out. I work at a far bigger depot than Inverness tho so don’t expect it to take as long.

Drop me a PM if u have any questions about upcoming assessment.

Last edited:

CMckenzie

Thanks AS1990.

Silly question, but how do you private message on here? I’m new this railforums and still finding the ropes haha.

mcwellyboot

Hi, I’ve been invited to the assessment centre for the position of conductor. I’m excited and nervous. Would really appreciate any advice and general information. Thanks in advance

Abdnlad78

Hi, I recently interviewed for the position of train conductor at Aberdeen then received the email saying I was successful however there was more successful candidates than positions needing filled and I would be put in a reserve pool for 6 months was just wandering how common this is and how likely it is I will hear anything back within the 6 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.