• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail First/Abellio Job Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkeyeTheNoo

I was given a conditional offer of employment with Scotrail in November subject to background checks, disclosure and medical. Scotrail HR informed me these were all passed successfully in early December but that they were now waiting for a date for a training course. I'm still waiting as of today for a date. If I don't get one by the time Abellio take over will that mean I don't have the job anymore as I was given the offer by First or will my offer transfer under TUPE too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
I was given a conditional offer of employment with Scotrail in November subject to background checks, disclosure and medical. Scotrail HR informed me these were all passed successfully in early December but that they were now waiting for a date for a training course. I'm still waiting as of today for a date. If I don't get one by the time Abellio take over will that mean I don't have the job anymore as I was given the offer by First or will my offer transfer under TUPE too?

I'm informed that First Group ordered a halt to all non-essential recruitment at ScotRail round about January, so it's possible that your course has been delayed until 1st April.

CatfordCat

subject to the disclaimer that I'm not a lawyer, and it's a little while since I researched the whole TUPE thing, I'm not convinced that TUPE applies where there isn't a contract of employment in place - and I don't think a conditional offer would count as a contract.

I can see this as a flaw with the whole franchise thing.

From a purely business point of view, why would an incumbent franchise holder bother to put money in to training people who will then end up working for the new franchise holder.

The new franchise holder may then inherit a shortage of staff and no new people in training (there have been some suggestions in the public press that Govia Thameslink have been dropped in it by First CC in this way, I'm not qualified to comment.)

And I'm not sure there's any legal obligation on the outgoing operator to hand across any ongoing job applications to the new operator. And there may be data protection issues about them doing so (or they might take the "there might be, we can't be bothered to find out, so we're going to say there are as a reason for not doing anything" sort of approach.)

Don't know what stage Abelio will be at with staffing. No doubt they will already have some sort of team in place preparing for the new franchise, but I'm not well informed enough to guess where they will be at.

Gut feeling is to try and track Abelio's people down and make contact.

Best of luck.

Z12XE

At the end of the NXEA franchise they did a mass recruitment for various role, many station vacancies etc had been left unfilled for months, even years..something do with with NX having to hand back the franchise with the majority of the jobs filled (or vacancies down to a certain %).

Abellio Scotrail have started advertising roles for Scotrail, mainly at the moment Directors and things such as Head of Revenue protection etc and have been advertised through Badenoch and Clark

Status
Not open for further replies.