• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail future plans for network enhancements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Doubling the section south of Montrose would certainly improve the reliability of services - the four trains, two each way, must occupy the single track for most of each hour. However I appreciate the difficulty. Immediately south of the station the line starts climbing at 1:88 across the listed viaduct, which later becomes an increasingly high brick one before it starts to climb up the hill to Usan. Doubling this southern part to shorten the single track section would result in the tracks merging on this gradient and I doubt that any safety authority would approve!

The single line section Usan/Montrose only takes 3 minutes, but of course it is a timetabling constraint, and a cause of delay when trains are running out of course. But eliminating it would be expensive !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST43257

Established Member
I really see no issue with a 3 min section. If there were trains at both ends, I can see there only being delays of about 7 minutes which I don’t really see as incredibly bad. I’d also prioritise EDB/GLQ services so these have no issues around pathing towards their termini.

InOban

Established Member
For trains to Glasgow there's a second single track section approaching Perth. So delays can spread.
I believe that one of enhancements proposed will be additional passing loops, particularly to allow additional freights.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Great thread - only just noticed it. This screenshot to me is absolutely key and tells us the magnitude.

Attachments

• 46080D27-0A98-4C8A-A27C-DADBE93315DF.jpeg
    46080D27-0A98-4C8A-A27C-DADBE93315DF.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

numtot12345

For trains to Glasgow there's a second single track section approaching Perth. So delays can spread.
I believe that one of enhancements proposed will be additional passing loops, particularly to allow additional freights.
Do you mean the bit at the Tay Viaduct? I'm wondering, has there been any consideration for dualling it? Asking as used to travel a fair bit between Glasgow and Aberdeen by rail, there was always usually some form of wait to pass through that section in either direction.

My guess is the business case would not be good at all, however as like with montrose, would certainly be good to have dualled in the sense of having the whole Gla-Abz route double tracked.

Aware though for that route the main bottlenecks/reliability issues are most likely around Greenhill junction?

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
My guess is the business case would not be good at all, however as like with montrose, would certainly be good to have dualled in the sense of having the whole Gla-Abz route double tracked.
Given the relative frequency of trains over that section (the Montrose - Arbroath section), the costs needed to completely rebuild the viaduct over the River South Esk and the length of this section, it’s really not feasible or worthwhile for the marginal increase in capacity it would provide, unless there were plans to drastically increase the frequency along this section of the route (only Aberdeen - Glasgow, Aberdeen - Edinburgh and the handful of LNER/XC services use this section)

Falcon1200

Established Member
Do you mean the bit at the Tay Viaduct? I'm wondering, has there been any consideration for dualling it? Asking as used to travel a fair bit between Glasgow and Aberdeen by rail, there was always usually some form of wait to pass through that section in either direction.

The single line section is Perth station to Barnhill. The running time is around 4 minutes and the basic passenger service is 2 trains per hour each way, so, just as with Usan/Montrose, while double-track would be nice to have in aid of timetabling and reliability, it would be hugely expensive, and I don't believe it has ever been seriously proposed.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
The single line section is Perth station to Barnhill. The running time is around 4 minutes and the basic passenger service is 2 trains per hour each way, so, just as with Usan/Montrose, while double-track would be nice to have in aid of timetabling and reliability, it would be hugely expensive, and I don't believe it has ever been seriously proposed.
Agree, but worth noting the track used to be double for a over 1/4mile plus Perth station towards the viaduct and whilst probably still not worth the cost re-instating that might reduce the running time on single track to around 3 mins for a marginal increase in timetable robustness. The line crosses lots of roads along the stretch from the station to the viaduct and google earth shows whilst the bridge which is closest to the viaduct has been replaced with a single track bridge the others are still double width. Unless included in a Perth re-modelling master plan it would seem most unlikely.

gingertom

Established Member
Agree, but worth noting the track used to be double for a over 1/4mile plus Perth station towards the viaduct and whilst probably still not worth the cost re-instating that might reduce the running time on single track to around 3 mins for a marginal increase in timetable robustness. The line crosses lots of roads along the stretch from the station to the viaduct and google earth shows whilst the bridge which is closest to the viaduct has been replaced with a single track bridge the others are still double width. Unless included in a Perth re-modelling master plan it would seem most unlikely.
I'm sure I read somewhere that the Tay viaduct was once double track. A spin off from the singling was the provision of a safe walkway.

numtot12345

Thanks for the above replies on the Taylor Viaduct. Yes, agree does seem like a lot of work for not much gain - as such fits a 'nice to have' category. My guess as well it be highly unlikely to be done alongside when they are putting up wires on the viaduct for when they electrify perth-dundee.

CEN60

Barnhill Jcn is currently being designed to upgrade the speed / functionality to 50mph and some follow on speed works towards Dundee. There was a study done regarding extending the double track section from Perth to the Tay viaduct - feasible but not without problems. The works at Barnhill would not preclude the extension of the double track at a later date - depending on whatever might be done to rationalise Perth Station.

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Barnhill Jcn is currently being designed to upgrade the speed / functionality to 50mph and some follow on speed works towards Dundee. There was a study done regarding extending the double track section from Perth to the Tay viaduct - feasible but not without problems. The works at Barnhill would not preclude the extension of the double track at a later date - depending on whatever might be done to rationalise Perth Station.
Sounds like a good step in the right direction, with of course Perth remaining in the 'to do' pile. 'Feasible but not without problems' sounds like it might cost!

CEN60

Sounds like a good step in the right direction, with of course Perth remaining in the 'to do' pile. 'Feasible but not without problems' sounds like it might cost!
There was a report and some high level design work done which had an interesting option - retain 1 and 2, and the platform north to Inv (sorry I don’t know the number) and form a new double sided island platform where the current wash road is. All lines and crossovers were effectively 50mph right up till just south of where the new footbridge is. My understanding was that the Council are interested to get their hand on the land that would be freed up. Although the above was on the assumption that all the maintenance moved to a new facility at Muirton - which was where the HST depot was going to be before it moved to Cadder.

Last edited:

MadMac

There was a report and some high level design work done which had an interesting option - retain 1 and 2, and the platform north to Inv (sorry I don’t know the number) and form a new double sided island platform where the current wash road is. All lines and crossovers were effectively 50mph right up till just south of where the new footbridge is. My understanding was that the Council are interested to get their hand on the land that would be freed up. Although the above was on the auumption that all the maintenance moved to a new facility at Muirton - which was where the HST depot was going to be before it moved to Calder.
The Council are keen that any “remodelling“ should incorporate a bus “hub”.

numtot12345

Interesting article in The Scotsman on battery and hydrogen technology. I've put it in this thread due to the obvious implications on infrastructure enhancements.

I assume ultimately in the long term those rail lines that are marked as getting electrified in the Rail Decarb Plan (i.e. crucially CB >Abz & Inv; Fife Circle), however it is certainly promoting the advancements in battery and hydrogen technology and train manufacturing at Longannet...however it does seem to be pedalling close to the line of investing in the alternative traction as a means of saving costs from not electrifying?

Maybe I'm misreading it, and alternative traction is merely a short-medium term decarb fix, towards the ultimate goal of Electrification of those core routes? It suggests that as an interim measure for Borders Railway, i.e. use mixed traction where batteries get charged on initially electrified bits, assuming that it will be fully electrified in the longer term.

*Edit - notwithstanding that - it would be great to see Scotland being a leader in terms of rail decarb, and also involved in manufacture of rolling stock too. Fingers crossed they do better than the ferries...!

d9009alycidon

One way round these two obstacles would be to consider reopening via Couper Angus and Forfar!!

InOban

Established Member

It's looking unlikely that Winchburgh station will be built. Apparently the developer commitment was to investigate the cost, not to deliver it - Transport Scotland wouldn't allow the local authority to require its construction. So instead residents will have to drive.

lachlan

It's looking unlikely that Winchburgh station will be built. Apparently the developer commitment was to investigate the cost, not to deliver it - Transport Scotland wouldn't allow the local authority to require its construction. So instead residents will have to drive.
I bet they'll still manage to build the motorway junction though. When I objected to it in a consultation I was told the new housing depended on it. I would argue a railway station is more important, as it will encourage residents to make sustainable transport choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.