• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail HST serious tree strike avoidable- ASLEF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Bishop

An accident in which a train travelling at 84mph crashed into a fallen tree was ‘totally preventable’, a rail union claimed.

The passenger train was “horrendously” damaged after it struck a tree which had fallen across the track at Broughty Ferry amid heavy rain and winds brought by Storm Gerrit on December 28.

ASLEF, the rail drivers union, told STV News that a member of the public called Network Rail’s control centre, which is outsourced in Milton Keynes, to report that the tree had fallen from their garden onto the railway line.

The union claimed it took the control centre more than ten minutes to contact their Scottish counterparts and that it also took them seven times to get through.

Kevin Lindsay, ASLEF’s Scottish organiser said: “This is an accident that was totally preventable, it’s just negligence on behalf of Network Rail and their contractors.

“I think it’s scandalous, it’s not that long ago I was standing talking about the horrific events at Carmont. Here we have another HST train involved in a crash which could have led to loss of life to the train driver and passengers.

“That is not acceptable and Network Rail needs to be held accountable.”

The driver received minor injuries as a result of the accident. The driving cab of the train was heavily damaged, disabling the train and requiring its passengers to be evacuated.

An investigation is currently under way by the Rail Accident Investigation Branch into the incident.

A Network Rail spokesperson said: “Safety is our top priority and we invest millions each year in our trackside to remove vegetation and other risks to the railway.

Once again, NR in the news again in Scotland. Bungling incompetence springs to mind! You couldn’t make it up. 17 minutes from the tree falling and being reported to NR to the train hitting it.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kkong

Perhaps ASLEF's Scottish organizer should let RAIB complete their investigation and publish their report before making such statements to the media?

After all, we are often told on this forum to avoid speculation until RAIB have reported.

Iskra

Established Member
Multiple attempts to get through? Presumably on an emergency line? If so, that is really concerning.
It is possible that they were simply overwhelmed by the volume of incoming traffic. You can’t realistically have 50 people sat at phones ‘just in case’ when 2 is fine 99% of the time.

TreacleMiller

It is possible that they were simply overwhelmed by the volume of incoming traffic. You can’t realistically have 50 people sat at phones ‘just in case’ when 2 is fine 99% of the time.

Priority and emergency calls terminate existing ones and route through specifically for this reason.

Someone, somewhere, has made a serious error.

kkong

The piece in The Scotsman has some more details, but the timeline quoted by ASLEF in the article doesn't make sense to me.

The ASLEF organizer is quoted as saying:
  • The initial call from the member of the public to NR National Helpline (lasting 3 minutes) was made 20 minutes before the collision.
  • The NR National Helpline then took 10 minutes before they attempted to contact NR Scotland Control.
  • But also that NR National Helpline made several calls to NR Scotland Control 17 minutes before the collision.
The second and third statements do not seem to be consistent with each other.

Scotsman article

Exclusive: ScotRail train crash: Network Rail communication problems delayed alarm being raised – Aslef union

Train drivers claim vital minutes lost by emergency call over fallen tree not being passed on.

By Alastair Dalton
Published 31st Jan 2024, 04:55 GMT

Rail network controllers could not be reached to take emergency action before a train crashed into a fallen tree at 84mph, according to claims in an internal memo by a rail union seen by The Scotsman.

A ScotRail driver was injured and their train cab severely damaged in the incident near Broughty Ferry during Storm Gerrit last month that has triggered two industry investigations. The latest claims come as two more trains hit fallen trees on Sunday, with one near Oban involving passengers being evacuated from a damaged carriage. A Wick to Inverness train struck a tree near Conon Bridge in the second incident.

Meantime, Network Rail is to significantly step up its lineside tree felling programme in an attempt to reduce the risk of storms bringing more down across lines. It is also encouraging adjacent landowners to remove trees prone to falling onto the railway.

In the Broughty Ferry incident on December 27, the owner of a tree that fell onto the Dundee-Aberdeen line is reported to have raised the alarm before the crash, which involved a 40-year-old former InterCity 125 "High Speed Train" (HST), similar to the one in the fatal Carmont crash near Stonehaven in 2020.

However, train drivers’ union Aslef has claimed there was a delay in the information being passed on to Network Rail controllers.

In the memo circulated to its members, Scotland district organiser Kevin Lindsay wrote: "The person whose tree fell from their garden did phone Network Rail’s national helpline number 20 minutes before the crash. The call lasted three minutes.

"The helpline is outsourced. It's alleged that the national helpline took ten minutes before they attempted to contact the Scottish joint control.

"They allegedly phoned Network Rail joint control in Scotland several times, but as they were all busy, the call went unanswered. These calls were 17 minutes before the HST hit the tree.

"Network Rail had no procedure in place to deal with incidents like this. So the information was not passed on."

Mr Lindsay said the infrastructure body, which is responsible for tracks and signals, had now instructed the national helpline to use an emergency number for contacting regional control centres for all line obstructions, "which means there can't be a repeat of this incident".

He said he was told by Network Rail last week the Scotland joint control centre was fully staffed and it had instigated the "gold command procedure", which added extra resources. He said: "But even that was not enough".

The union official said it was unusual for either Network Rail or the UK Department for Transport’s Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) to investigate such incidents.

He said: "This matter will be fully investigated and Aslef will also be raising out concerns with ScotRail and Network Rail over this matter."

The RAIB said its investigation would include how information received from the public about railway safety is handled, and the crashworthiness of the train.

A Scottish Government-led group is considering the suitability of the trains, which are due to be phased out in 2030, in the wake of the Carmont crash. In that incident, the driver was among three people who died after the train derailed and hit a bridge parapet after debris was washed onto the track from a wrongly-built drain during very heavy rainfall.

Glasgow Scottish Labour MSP Paul Sweeney said: "I was first alerted to the collision through an Aslef Scotland member keen to highlight just how fragile the InterCity 125 locomotive cab is relative to modern production standards.

"The train – bound for Glasgow – experienced significant damage and it is clear that the fibreglass cabin shell is no longer fit for purpose. It is welcomed that the RAIB and Network Rail are set to investigate the crash. While the unreinforced fibreglass cabin structure of the train endangered the driver, the failure that day also lies with Network Rail’s national helpline.

"Despite the alarm being raised about a fallen tree 20 minutes before the collision, the information failed to get through to the right people. This accident could have been prevented and I hope this investigation will lead to a more responsive and efficient method of reporting potential issues on the railway."

Among the latest incidents, a ScotRail train hit branches near Oban on Sunday. Rhys, an off-duty railway worker, who tweeted a picture of a shattered carriage window, said: "Passenger excavation done swiftly with train crew, no injuries that I know of, but a horrid experience."

Network Rail declined to comment on the Aslef claims because the investigations were underway.

Its spokesperson said: "Safety is our top priority and we are working with RAIB to provide all available information to support the investigation. In addition, we’re leading a separate industry review of the incident with partners from across Scotland’s Railway.

"We’re grateful to members of the public who report potential issues on the railway and would continue to encourage anyone who spots a safety concern to contact our 24-hour helpline on 0345 711 4141."

Network Rail is to significantly increase its clearance of lineside trees from April to reduce collision risks, while helicopter surveys will help identify those trees in danger of falling. It is thought spending could increase to as much as £90 million-£100m over the next five years, although this has not been confirmed. That compares to some £35m in 2019-24.

The move is believed to be aimed at increasing Network Rail’s compliance with vegetation standards from under 40 per cent to 70-80 per cent, with no vegetation within some 5-6m of tracks.

It said the work would be targeted on "route criticality" and their risk profiles, such as hazardous trees, overhead line equipment and leaf fall.

Tree clearance has long been a contentious issue. While it is also welcomed by those seeking better views of the scenery for passengers, it has run into opposition from some residents because trees help screen homes from train noise.

chuff chuff

The piece in The Scotsman has some more details, but the timeline quoted by ASLEF in the article doesn't make sense to me.

The ASLEF organizer is quoted as saying:
  • The initial call from the member of the public to NR National Helpline (lasting 3 minutes) was made 20 minutes before the collision.
  • The NR National Helpline then took 10 minutes before they attempted to contact NR Scotland Control.
  • But also that NR National Helpline made several calls to NR Scotland Control 17 minutes before the collision.
The second and third statements do not seem to be consistent with each other.

Scotsman article
Aye a few if us spotted that when got this a few days ago.
As above regarding where the tree came from,it came from council land over the line and the top landed in the garden.

Established Member
Surely the emergency call from the public would go through to the Network Rail control room in Glasgow? Where all the route control/train running controllers are?

I thought Milton Keynes was more Head quarters, planning departments etc.

Also thought Milton Keynes was operated by Network Rail staff and not outsourced?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Surely the emergency call from the public would go through to the Network Rail control room in Glasgow? Where all the route control/train running controllers are?

I thought Milton Keynes was more Head quarters, planning departments etc.

Also thought Milton Keynes was operated by Network Rail staff and not outsourced?

Milton Keynes is also the home of the National Operations Centre (NOC) which oversees all Network Rail routes, although routes have a lot of their own responsibility of course. They can mobilise for major incidents, e.g. advising RAIB and ORR (in conjuction with the relevant route control)

There is one national helpline number 24/7 - 03457 11 41 41. I believe this goes to a central point who then inform the relevant NR route. If someone didn't know what number to call (which public may not from their home) it is likely they'd find this one. I am not sure who answers it, but I'd hazard a guess its a team at Milton Keynes / NOC.

Established Member
Milton Keynes is also the home of the National Operations Centre (NOC) which oversees all NR routes, although routes have a lot of their own responsibility of course.

There is one national helpline number 24/7 - 03457 11 41 41. I believe this goes to a central point who then inform the relevant NR route.
Suppose it all depends on what number member of public called.

As for eg if you hit a bridge them emergency number puts you through the Operating centre for that area, eg York

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Suppose it all depends on what number member of public called.

As for eg if you hit a bridge them emergency number puts you through the Operating centre for that area, eg York

Yes and that is because the relevant route control number (or something that directs to it) is on the bridge. If you were at home and saw a tree blow over, you'd probably do an online search as per the link I shared.

• a safety threat to you or others
  • work on the railway infrastructure, including track maintenance, work to electrify lines and for most major projects on the railway
  • how we maintain our land alongside the track
  • one of our stations
  • issues on our land such as trees, vegetation, graffiti or fencing (if you are contacting us about these, it would be really helpful to include some photographs).

Established Member
Yes and that is because the relevant route control number (or something that directs to it) is on the bridge. If you were at home and saw a tree blow over, you'd probably do an online search as per the link I shared.
To be honest I wouldn’t even think of googling that information, I would call 999, which would probably add more delay.

That information that you shared is very good to keep handy/bookmarked.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
To be honest I wouldn’t even think of googling that information, I would call 999, which would probably add more delay.

That information that you shared is very good to keep handy/bookmarked.

Yes probably I imagine many would call 999 and ask for police(?) BTP would eventually get the call through the operator who would then contact NR.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
It's probably also worth remembering from the interests of a bit of context here that the Union concerned in general and spokesperson in particular want rid of the HST fleet at almost any cost and whilst I can't say I entirely disagree with him on this, making capital gain out of it in this situation is maybe a little unfair especially as has been pointed out the rail accident investigation report has not yet been published although presumably some initial findings are not far away now

station_road

There is one national helpline number 24/7 - 03457 11 41 41. I believe this goes to a central point who then inform the relevant NR route. If someone didn't know what number to call (which public may not from their home) it is likely they'd find this one. I am not sure who answers it, but I'd hazard a guess its a team at Milton Keynes / NOC.
The national helpline is outsourced - used to be to KCom in Hull, but Google tells us that it is now a company called Journeycall

https://news.railbusinessdaily.com/journeycall-takes-up-key-role-with-network-rail/

Journeycall has won a major contract to run the Network Rail National Contact Centre.

The three-year, £3.8 million contract will see the customer service support and smartcard services company manage the Contact Centre and helpdesk service – the primary point of contact for Network Rail.

Journeycall will handle all enquiries into the four components of the National Contact Centre: the National Helpline (including the emergency line), the central switchboard, the Commercial Property helpdesk; and an out of hours Media Service.

Falcon1200

Established Member
Presumably on an emergency line?

An emergency line in Glasgow Control wil, ALWAYS, be answered, not least because such lines do not just ring out, they also activate a siren (Answering such calls was my role until 2016).

Surely the emergency call from the public would go through to the Network Rail control room in Glasgow?

Other than, as mentioned, the number shown on the signs for bridge strikes, the public do not have Network Rail Control's phone numbers, whether emergency lines or not. I expect the member of public phoned the National Helpline, so the issue would be what that office did with the information, and in particular what number they used to phone NR Control; If a non-emergency number that may well have not been answered immediately, due to pressure of work and the number of incoming calls on a day of severe disruption; Something mentioned in the Carmont report, and which will perhaps be considered by Andrew Haines after his recent experience outside Paddington.

RichA

Last time I spoke with the NR helpline the operator told me he was in a call centre in Belfast.

Christmas

There's a big ASLEF meeting in Perth this Sunday with all HST driving depots invited. There seems to be a lot of anger amongst staff about not only the shambolic response by Network Rail, but anger that the HST still seems to be the only show in town according to Transport Scotland.
I hope that the drivers vote to boycott these heaps of scrap and we get a reliable intercity service using 158s or 170s. Enough is enough.

There's a big ASLEF meeting in Perth this Sunday with all HST driving depots invited. There seems to be a lot of anger amongst staff about not only the shambolic response by Network Rail, but anger that the HST still seems to be the only show in town according to Transport Scotland.
I hope that the drivers vote to boycott these heaps of scrap and we get a reliable intercity service using 158s or 170s. Enough is enough.

If such a vote it passed you'll not "get a reliable intercity service using 158s or 170s".
You'll get a ****e intercity service using 158s or 170s and a ****e local service due to the loss of such DMUs being redeployed.

Christmas

If such a vote it passed you'll not "get a reliable intercity service using 158s or 170s".
You'll get a ****e intercity service using 158s or 170s and a ****e local service due to the loss of such DMUs being redeployed.
Plenty more 158s available from Wales.

chuff chuff

There's another meeting in Aberdeen later in the month.

kkong

anger that the HST still seems to be the only show in town according to Transport Scotland.

In the 2nd November 2023 ScotRail board meeting minutes, there were passing mentions of discussions relating to an "interim InterCity fleet replacement".

2.1 Existing fleet life extension

The Finance Director presented this paper for approval. The purpose of the paper was to summarise the cost of the "must do" fleet extension works in such a way that could then be presented to the stakeholder for budgetary approval. The paper did not cover any options for interim InterCity replacement as this is subject to separate discussions.

6 Item 23.71 – Keep open. Due date January 2024. Note to go to minister on interim intercity fleet – DR draft in next couple of days.

Clarence Yard

Established Member

If I was an ASLEF rep in Scotland, I would not be campaigning for 158’s. If one had hit that tree at that speed, I doubt whether the driver would still be with us. They are not great for impact damage with immovable or heavy objects.

chuff chuff

There may be stuff going on in the background as the aslef DO stated a few weeks ago that they are still working to get a withdrawal date and replacement traction while admitting options are very limited and progress is difficult.

DanNCL

Established Member
That simply won’t happen. If they boycott the HSTs the result will be frequency cuts, delays and overcrowding everywhere. And it’ll then be the passengers saying ‘enough is enough’ and taking their custom to the roads.

Plenty more 158s available from Wales.
Not for another year there aren’t.

kkong

And it’ll then be the passengers saying ‘enough is enough’ and taking their custom to the roads.

I think plenty already have done.

There has been a large increase in frequency (and two new operators) on the Scottish inter-city coach network in recent years.

Free nationwide bus travel for under-22s.

The general unreliability of the rail network (weather related shut downs / speed restrictions / breakdowns / cancellations / strikes etc) and the ever-increasing fares.

The Inter7City route trains are significantly less busy than they were pre-Covid.

A change to 158s would be a very retrograde step for passenger comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.