• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Inverness route

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Couple of questions,

1. During the recent heavy snow periods Scotrail have preferred to use 2x 158 rather than a 170 on the Glasgow / Edinburgh - Inverness route. Any idea why, I guess they have more faith in the 158 completing the journey but is that really the reason.

2. Why have the 170/3 been banished from the route? I know the plan A was to use the buffets to provide better catering but this never seemed to work. Why is the 170/4 the preferred unit now (except when it snows)?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Thats the only one good thing 158s are good for, altho i'd prefare a 158 over a 170, the reason the 170/3 buffet bit isn't used is cause Staff aren't trained up on it... poor excuse

route:oxford

Established Member
Thats the only one good thing 158s are good for, altho i'd prefare a 158 over a 170, the reason the 170/3 buffet bit isn't used is cause Staff aren't trained up on it... poor excuse

Why is the 158 significantly better in the snow than a 170?

Heavier?
More Powerful?
Better snow-deflectors?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Personally - I have not seen a 170 with a snow plough however numerously seen 158's with them - maybe why...

Status
Not open for further replies.