• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

scotrail/northern carlisle-glasgow

Status
Not open for further replies.

doningtonphil

Hello

First post so I hope I am in the right bit. At Carlisle station this evening waiting to wave a friend off on a pendolino to Birmingham i noticed a ScotRail Class156 on platform 4. The boards said it was the 19:17 to Glasgow queen street. However the timetable stated that was operated by Northern. A printing error or a borrowed train/joint service?

Also. I heard the 156 before I saw it. It seemed to have a several air valves triggering every couple if minutes or so, then again a few seconds later. I have heard Northern 156s do it to. What is it?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Regarding your first paragraph, it is a service that starts from Newcastle Central that runs to Glasgow via Carlisle. It is a joint Northern/Scotrail service.

I would like to mention that was it Glasgow Central you meant? The last time that there were regular timetabled scheduled passenger services from Carlisle Citadel to a Glasgow station other than Central was the present Glasgow & South Western Railway route to Glasgow, where in the Pollokshields area, it took a diagonal route to Cumberland Street station and joined the Glasgow City Union line to St Enoch, which is now the shopping centre.

After the Beeching cutbacks, it was decided to divert the GSWR services to the Caledonian Railway's Glasgow Central station.

In peace

Adam

Last edited:

doningtonphil

Thanks Adam

Yes it was Central. I don't even know where I got Queen st from. Thanks for the reply.

I suppose I should move my post to find out about the strange noises it was making

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Hello

First post so I hope I am in the right bit. At Carlisle station this evening waiting to wave a friend off on a pendolino to Birmingham i noticed a ScotRail Class156 on platform 4. The boards said it was the 19:17 to Glasgow queen street. However the timetable stated that was operated by Northern. A printing error or a borrowed train/joint service?

Also. I heard the 156 before I saw it. It seemed to have a several air valves triggering every couple if minutes or so, then again a few seconds later. I have heard Northern 156s do it to. What is it?

Thanks

The air valves you heard are simply the unloader valve for the air system releasing to prevent the system overcharging. They may be defective if blowing off constantly or very regularly but the compressor should be able to compensate for any losses through the valves.

It's a regular ScotRail service, from Glasgow Central to Carlisle via Kilmarnock and Dumfries.

The part of the line from Kilmarnock to Glasgow is a commuter route, served by a class 156 every half hour (hourly on Sundays).

The part of the line from Kilmarnock to Carlisle is much less regular. There are a few trains that continue from Kilmarnock to Carlisle, and a few that start at Dumfries and run to Carlisle. Strangely, there are more trains between Dumfries and Carlisle on Saturdays than on weekdays.

I know the line well, because I live in Glasgow and my parents live near Auchinleck, the stop just after Kilmarnock. On weekdays, the trains are erratic. Sometimes there's an hour between trains, sometimes two hours. On Sundays, there are only two trains per day in each direction.

I've never seen anything but class 156s on this line, and I've definitely never seen a Northern 156 run it.

Here's the timetable

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
A Northern 156 has done it at least once but the norm is a Scotrail unit. There is one working that sees a Northern unit booked into Scotland and that is the 07:45 Dumfries-Newcastle. I'm sure a Northern unit works the last service to Dumfries and stables there overnight to work the 07:45.

Last edited:

theshillito

Here's an example of a similar service

It's a Northern service up to Carlisle, then it changes over to ScotRail. I think there is a crew change as appropriate. RTT handily has a note at Carlisle explaining the change in operator.

Since this sort of change is a rarity on the network (possibly even unique???) National Rail systems seem to only ever show the origin TOC on their systems, as do the various ticket booking websites. This service shows up as a Northern service, while in the other direction it shows as a ScotRail service.

Worth noting: Any Northern Rail only passes or tickets are not valid past Carlisle on these services. My plan to use a £10 Northern Rail Day Ranger to get from Crewe to Glasgow was foiled last year, so I went to Newcastle instead.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Since this sort of change is a rarity on the network (possibly even unique???) National Rail systems seem to only ever show the origin TOC on their systems, as do the various ticket booking websites. This service shows up as a Northern service, while in the other direction it shows as a ScotRail service.

Certainly not unique; Thameslink services to stations on the southeastern network (principally Sevenoaks) switch between FCC and Southeastern (and vice versa) at Blackfriars.

theshillito

Certainly not unique; Thameslink services to stations on the southeastern network (principally Sevenoaks) switch between FCC and Southeastern (and vice versa) at Blackfriars.

Ah! I didn't know that, thanks. That's a lot more regular too, so I'm surprised the systems don't account for these very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.