• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail offering first class fares on routes without first class accomodation

Status
Not open for further replies.

freelander

regarding the 158 on the Edinburgh- Inverness does anyone know what seating is available in First Class and is it at the front or back of the train or could be any of the two.

freelander

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freelander

thanks for that, but why does passenger info state "seating first and standard" and as for pricing I have been quoted for a first class ticket ??? this info is also stated on Network rail planner or Train line

freelander

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
thanks for that, but why does passenger info state "seating first and standard"
Because it is booked to be formed of a Class 170 with both classes of accommodation
and as for pricing I have been quoted for a first class ticket ??? this info is also stated on Network rail planner or Train line
Network Rail don't have a journey planner but that doesn't matter; the data will be the same in all systems.

If a 158 or Standard Only class 170 turns up, 1st class ticket holders will be entitled to a refund of the difference between the 1st and Standard fares.

Established Member
Because it is booked to be formed of a Class 170 with both classes of accommodation

Network Rail don't have a journey planner but that doesn't matter; the data will be the same in all systems.

If a 158 or Standard Only class 170 turns up, 1st class ticket holders will be entitled to a refund of the difference between the 1st and Standard fares.
Well quite. On the HML you're at far greater risk of a Standard only 170 turning up than a 158.

Bottom line - don't waste money on First Class on Scotrail until the HSTs arrive.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Oh that's interesting.

Is the 1036 Edinburgh to Inverness booked for a 170 now then? I am surprised that they would reduce it from 4 to 3 coaches?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well quite. On the HML you're at far greater risk of a Standard only 170 turning up than a 158.

Bottom line - don't waste money on First Class on Scotrail until the HSTs arrive.

It's not a waste, because as noted if a unit without First Class turns up on a First Class diagram you can get the difference back.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's not a waste, because as noted if a unit without First Class turns up on a First Class diagram you can get the difference back.
Precisely. In addition to the refund of the difference, if there is catering onboard, they would most likely be offered their complimentary coffee on the train as a goodwill gesture.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

And you still get your complimentary refreshments too. I know this only too well as I always seem to end up with a standard-only 170 on the Glasgow shuttle (which is annoying as I don't head that way too often these days!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Contractually yes, but I know someone who has been waiting 8 weeks and hasn't been compensated. (and who also didn't get offered anything from the trolley either)

Some train companies are appalling at customer service.

Established Member
You're missing my point. Forget about the free biscuit or the refund.

As it stands Scotrail 170 First Class is a lurching over-the-bogies waste of money on rickety seats, regardless of whether it turns up or not.

I'd never pay for it when Standard is better in my view.

Starmill

Veteran Member
You're missing my point.
You didn't actually make that point, so I think they can be forgiven.

I assume that the OP already knew that, and was content to spend money on it anyway. We advised accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.