• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail Recruitment/ Job applications

T468

Hi All.
I am new here and looking to find out how folks are getting on with applying for any position within ScotRail? Is everyones experience painfully slow?
I applied for an in station role, early on in 2024, and had emailed ScotRail recruitment to see how my application was progressing as I haven't heard anything back within a couple of weeks (I did also check my application online and it was saying under consideration). I do have previous experience of applying for ScotRail positions and either them taking a very long time to respond or just not at all, but as I am particularly keen on the current position I thought I would show it this time.
A few days later I got a basic response saying to keep an eye on my emails, great, that is what I was doing! So I started emailing weekly saying how I was very keen and why I would be a good fit for the role and if there was a timeframe as to when they expected the position to be fill (basically, when can I stop thinking you might consider me for this role so I can stop chasing you up). No further emails back from recruitment until I received an email from "no-reply", inviting me to an online assessment within the next 5 days. In this email it also asked if I had any need for adjustments to the tests, I had to email recruitment to request (despite the fact they ask this in the application, so I emailed recruitment requesting adjustments and didn't hear anything from them (still haven't) so had to go ahead with the assessment before the end date.
I have still not heard anything further regarding my application even thought it has been almost a month since the assessment and online it still says my application is "under further consideration".
It has been over 3months since I put in my initial application, is this normal? Is it normal to have recruitment to pretty much ignore you? This has been the longest I have ever had an application sit with a company and still show as being "under consideration"!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WF4HA5HE

Hi All.
I am new here and looking to find out how folks are getting on with applying for any position within ScotRail? Is everyones experience painfully slow?
I applied for an in station role, early on in 2024, and had emailed ScotRail recruitment to see how my application was progressing as I haven't heard anything back within a couple of weeks (I did also check my application online and it was saying under consideration). I do have previous experience of applying for ScotRail positions and either them taking a very long time to respond or just not at all, but as I am particularly keen on the current position I thought I would show it this time.
A few days later I got a basic response saying to keep an eye on my emails, great, that is what I was doing! So I started emailing weekly saying how I was very keen and why I would be a good fit for the role and if there was a timeframe as to when they expected the position to be fill (basically, when can I stop thinking you might consider me for this role so I can stop chasing you up). No further emails back from recruitment until I received an email from "no-reply", inviting me to an online assessment within the next 5 days. In this email it also asked if I had any need for adjustments to the tests, I had to email recruitment to request (despite the fact they ask this in the application, so I emailed recruitment requesting adjustments and didn't hear anything from them (still haven't) so had to go ahead with the assessment before the end date.
I have still not heard anything further regarding my application even thought it has been almost a month since the assessment and online it still says my application is "under further consideration".
It has been over 3months since I put in my initial application, is this normal? Is it normal to have recruitment to pretty much ignore you? This has been the longest I have ever had an application sit with a company and still show as being "under consideration"!
The railway is painfully slow in general and I think scotrail are particularly slow. There's a thread regarding driver recruitment where some people who applied for driver roles in 2019 and have only had their applications finalised within the last few months......

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Yes railway railway can be very slow unfortunately. Normally small teams dealing with lots of applicants. Sometimes unsuccessful candidates are just left in the process phase - not that this means you are there yet.

Generally "no news is good news" though and you have to be patient.

Charladenz

Hi All.
Just for context there are several of us from your area. We applied for the Conductor post in Jan 2024 completed the assessments in Glasgow in March & interviewed at the start of April and we just found out last week we have passed the interview and now are in a reserve pool awaiting any available positions for up to 6 months.

Nothing happens quickly and It's tough to get in but essentially you will hear from them when there is something to hear.

What role have you applied for recently?

T468

Thanks folks! Just very frustrating when you cant seem to get an answer/response, even on timescales.