• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Revinue Protection Officer info.

Iamanoob

Currently on holiday from work and was hoping to catch someone to ask before I was off but of course didn't see anyone. RPO job(s)have came up on SR internal and was thinking of applying but was wondring if anyone had any info on what the job entails.
What are the shift patterns like, with earliest start/latest finish?
How many Sundays per month?
How far from the "main" depot can you travel?
Is there a lot of abuse towards them?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Currently on holiday from work and was hoping to catch someone to ask before I was off but of course didn't see anyone. RPO job(s)have came up on SR internal and was thinking of applying but was wondring if anyone had any info on what the job entails.
What are the shift patterns like, with earliest start/latest finish?
How many Sundays per month?
How far from the "main" depot can you travel?
Is there a lot of abuse towards them?

Cheers

I'm sure on the internal advert there's usually an email address to contact with any queries about the role.

From what I've seen driving on my routes, the Revenue Protection teams are basically mobile Ticket Examiners and can be sent to any stations as a "hit squad". For instance, they've been targeting Johnstone station all this week.

As for abuse, they'll likely face the same issues as on train Ticket Examiners face on a daily basis from the wonderful travelling public who believe it's their god given right to travel for free!

Iamanoob

I'm sure on the internal advert there's usually an email address to contact with any queries about the role.

From what I've seen driving on my routes, the Revenue Protection teams are basically mobile Ticket Examiners and can be sent to any stations as a "hit squad". For instance, they've been targeting Johnstone station all this week.

As for abuse, they'll likely face the same issues as on train Ticket Examiners face on a daily basis from the wonderful travelling public who believe it's their god given right to travel for free!
They do but rather hear it from people in or had the role as most management team would says its the best thing sonce sliced bread.

They do but rather hear it from people in or had the role as most management team would says its the best thing sonce sliced bread.

The role is exactly the same as a ScotRail Ticket Examiner, except instead of being diagrammed on a train, you get sent in teams of 2 or 3 to stations all over the network. The pay and commission is the same aswell. They don't have any extra powers and can't issue penalty fares etc like revenue protection teams in England can due to different legislation in Scotland.

First group had a Fraud and Security team, which did a similar role, but Abellio abolished it when they got the franchise.

Fat Pav

The role is exactly the same as a ScotRail Ticket Examiner, except instead of being diagrammed on a train, you get sent in teams of 2 or 3 to stations all over the network. The pay and commission is the same aswell. They don't have any extra powers and can't issue penalty fares etc like revenue protection teams in England can due to different legislation in Scotland.

First group had a Fraud and Security team, which did a similar role, but Abellio abolished it when they got the franchise.
It’s a mobile Gateline as opposed to a Ticket Examiner. I know a few folk who had left TE jobs for the RPO and then returned to TE.

Seems a bit of a make it up as you go effort since it’s a new post.

Iamanoob

It’s a mobile Gateline as opposed to a Ticket Examiner. I know a few folk who had left TE jobs for the RPO and then returned to TE.

Seems a bit of a make it up as you go effort since it’s a new post.
Any reason why they went back?

If it's similar to gateline shifts (earlIes one week, lates the next) and still within train times then I may be interested but if it's same as TE with early, mid and lates and need to drive in then not interested.