• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ScotRail station staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buiadh

Hi all.

I've seen this vacancy advertised on the ScotRail site for station staff: https://apply.scotrail.co.uk/vacancies/1509/

It seems a very broad role, from train dispatch to cleaning. I'm looking for opinions on this role, the good points, bad points and if you'd recommend it to someone entering the rail industry.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LoogaBarooga

I used to be station staff, I was a grade b and I really liked it. The cleaning became a bit tedious but for me that was the only real downside.

I think the GPR grade b is slightly different. You're there to provide cover where it's needed so you might not know your days off for the next week until the roster is produced the Thursday before.

Having spoken to a few GPRs that's definitely their biggest gripe. That said I'm not sure which stations you'd be covering in the Aberdeen area so it might be different up there.

roymunson

Hello,

The GPR role like every role has pros and cons...

The pros for me are working in different stations and different environments with different staff... you'll find that your duties can vary quite a bit depending on where you are (some stations are quite quiet and some are pretty hectic). Also depends on whether you're on platform duties or in a booking office, or a combination of both.

Generally your duties can be dispatch which is good training to have as it's deemed to be safety critical and so if you have aspirations of moving within the railway can be very useful... also cleaning and maintenance of stations, touch of winter workings as the cold sets in... booking office is selling tickets really.

If willing to work rest days there is scope to turn a 34k job into 45k comfortably.

Cons I would say is the requirement to be flexible, you can and will get moved from shifts as you are general purpose relief. This doesn't mean you will suddenly be working on your booked day off, your days off remain your days off but it does make it difficult to plan anything on your rostered days as you may be required to go from an early shift to a late shift at short notice, or vice versa.

It's certainly a job which won't suit everyone but if it does suit and you're flexible then it's a great job

Pcb1980

Anyone else recommend this kind of position? Is it early start and late finishes?
How many days a week do you work?
Tia

Status
Not open for further replies.