• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail Ticket Inspectors, or how I learned to stop worrying and love the fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

michael769

Established Member
Yes - I was told it would need DfT approval by a friend, so probably the Scottish equivalent.

In that case given that there was no mention of PFs in the 2014 consultation I think we can pretty safely say that there are no plans to introduce PFs in Scotland anytime in the next few years!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is perhaps worth pointing out that the Railway byelaws require that a valid ticket is produced and displayed on demand.

In principle from my reading of Bl18 displaying an invalid ticket when required to produce a valid one would be an offence under Bl18. While I would expect staff would exercise common sense and discretion if the passenger subsequently found the right ticket (as such genuine mistakes are not unusual from people with a lot of tickets on them) - I would suggest that someone who is getting a reputation for intentionally showing invalid tickets for somewhat dubious reasons - might find themselves in a situation where staff's patience and discretion eventually runs out.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
It is perhaps worth pointing out that the Railway byelaws require that a valid ticket is produced and displayed on demand.

In principle from my reading of Bl18 displaying an invalid ticket when required to produce a valid one would be an offence under Bl18. While I would expect staff would exercise common sense and discretion if the passenger subsequently found the right ticket (as such genuine mistakes are not unusual from people with a lot of tickets on them) - I would suggest that someone who is getting a reputation for intentionally showing invalid tickets for somewhat dubious reasons - might find themselves in a situation where staff's patience and discretion eventually runs out.

I refer the honourable members to my previous post - nobody likes a smartarse!

snail

Established Member
I'm one of the most legit people in my circle! Hard to believe, but almost all my friends try getting a half when they board and I usually get my railcard fare from the office (unless of course, it's shut!).

I doubt I'm well known, maybe this is just one inspector who checks the Facebook pages to catch wide ****s like me.
So you aren't a fare dodger but travel with a group that are. You try to defend them. Have you spotted the problem here?

Scotrail84

Established Member
Well first of all, he is a Conductor and would not be able to issue PFNs even if ScotRail did have a penalty fares in the first place, only authorised collectors can do that (Revenue Proection staff, and there is a difference). To my knowledge no TOC has it's guards or conductors issue PFNs.

If he printed off a receipt from the ticket stock I'm thinking of then it merely warns you that you may be issued penalty fare for not buying a ticket for your journey before you board. It would mention nothing about that he is authorised to collect penalty fares. To be quite honest he may have been telling the truth, maybe they do plan to introduce such a scheme and the 'ScotRail Support' just do not want to make you privy of it at this time.

Not that I wish to call you out as a liar or anything but I would really like to see the letter you sent to ScotRail and the full reply you recieved, this small quote doesn't do much to convice me that its legit (that and the spelling error).

To be brutally honest with you, the Conductor may well have been wrong to call you out like that but you should'nt be at all surprised trying to be a smart alec and embarrass the man in front of passengers on his train. Since the man is not here to defend himself and all we have to go on is what you have said, i'm having a hard time to believing you this actually happened the way you said it did.
'Testing' with outdated tickets isn't a particularly clever either as all you are doing is wasting the Conductor/Inspector's time, you don't need to test him the company will do that. Bragging about faredodging on a social networking site was rather stupid aswell and you may well have painted a target on your back for that.

Curious to know why he would even mention something like that unless you said something first? And indeed you have no business having either in your possession unless you have been issued with them for work use.

I have to say in my 5 and a bit years of Revenue Protection no i have not once met an inspector such as this and I have worked with many! TOCs may indeed keep tabs on serial offenders who often defraud the railway out of thousands of pounds, something tells me you aren't quite in that league. I'm also getting the impression the full story has not been told and I too am curious to know if the Conductor in question is on these boards as I would like to hear his side of the story.

I smell a rat I'm afraid. This has the makings of a big wind up. Also the 2 trains he mentions are doo and don't have conductors. The rest is quite a story I have to admit but it too good to be true IMO.

Flamingo

Established Member
To quote Judge Judy, if it doesn't sound right, it probably isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.