• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail to be brought into the public sector - what happens with recruitment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenny-lv

Hi everyone

I've just signed up to this site after applying for a conductor role yesterday, and I've seen the news today that Abellio will stop running Scotrail at the end of March and the government will take over.

I'm not sure how this might affect recruitment (if at all), just wondering if anyone has any insights? Oh, and if anyone can give me some pointers on how to get through any assessments that would be great, I'm terrible at interviews and want to be as prepared as possible if I get that far!

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CFRAIL

I can't speak for Scotrail, but regardless of who is running the company etc... they'll still require train crew etc...

As for your assessments, read what they're asking you and make use of any practice material either in advance or on the day. Good luck!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
It will still be run by an operator of some sort. Much like Arriva run London Overground or MTR run TfL Rail / Elizabeth Line and advertise on their individual websites.

Recruitment may change in terms of websites and names of people you deal with but ultimately, the same levels of recruitment will be required in the immediate term.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Hi everyone

I've just signed up to this site after applying for a conductor role yesterday, and I've seen the news today that Abellio will stop running Scotrail at the end of March and the government will take over.

I'm not sure how this might affect recruitment (if at all), just wondering if anyone has any insights? Oh, and if anyone can give me some pointers on how to get through any assessments that would be great, I'm terrible at interviews and want to be as prepared as possible if I get that far!

Thanks in advance

Have ScotRail been back in touch with you yet?

jenny-lv

Not yet, but the closing date for the job was yesterday so hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Not yet, but the closing date for the job was yesterday so hopefully I'll hear from them soon.
Good luck and post updates on this thread on how you're getting on with the application if thats ok?

Has anyone who applied for a Conductors role recently heard anything back yet?

Last edited:
No, nowt as yet: applied for four locations so hoping I get through the sift with at least one of them!

Eebbs1912

Anybody heard anything from ScotRail recruitment yet?
Hadn't heard anything for ages so emailed recruitment in November. I was asked for my NI number etc then heard nothing for ages again. Then I was offered a dmi in Yoker depot out the blue a couple of weeks ago. I'd just fine a medical and accepted a trainee freight driver position though, so stuck with that.
Started the freight position on Monday.

KiLo

I've completed and passed the online assessment stage. Was informed about a week ago that they'd be in touch with details of the next stage shortly. Just patiently waiting now!

Scotrail84

Established Member
I've completed and passed the online assessment stage. Was informed about a week ago that they'd be in touch with details of the next stage shortly. Just patiently waiting now!
Well done. Was this for the positions that all closed on the 16th of this month?

Do you live within an hour of all 4 locations you've applied for? I thought that was one of the conditions?
The form asked if you already lived within 45 minutes of the depot and, if not, gave you the opportunity to affirm your willingness to relocate. I took this to mean it wasn’t a prerequisite for ScotRail (unlike a lot of other TOCs) but entirely possible that’s not the case or that it may be an optional criteria to reduce the numbers progressed to the next stage in the event they receive too many applications!

KiLo

Well done. Was this for the positions that all closed on the 16th of this month?
Yeah it is!

The form asked if you already lived within 45 minutes of the depot and, if not, gave you the opportunity to affirm your willingness to relocate. I took this to mean it wasn’t a prerequisite for ScotRail (unlike a lot of other TOCs) but entirely possible that’s not the case or that it may be an optional criteria to reduce the numbers progressed to the next stage in the event they receive too many applications!

Och if I'd realised that I might have chanced my arm with another depot on top of my nearest!

Yeah it is!

Och if I'd realised that I might have chanced my arm with another depot on top of my nearest!
Congrats, and fingers crossed for next stage.

It’s entirely possible I’ve got that wrong – just my own reading of it – besides which you got through anyway so bit of a moot point!! Unlike me it seems sadly…

Scotrail84

Established Member
Yeah it is!

A guy I know hasn't heard a thing back yet but I think he's applied for another depot going by your location. When you login to the Abellio site what does your application status say?

Congrats, and fingers crossed for next stage.

It’s entirely possible I’ve got that wrong – just my own reading of it – besides which you got through anyway so bit of a moot point!! Unlike me it seems sadly…
Have you checked your application status on the abellio website in your profile?

LoogaBarooga

I'm a guard with Scotrail so if any of you need any info just give me a shout and I'll try to help.

LoogaBarooga

Dundee I've been told is just one. Perth and Aberdeen have multiple vacancies but I'm not sure about definitive numbers I'm afraid.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Dundee I've been told is just one. Perth and Aberdeen have multiple vacancies but I'm not sure about definitive numbers I'm afraid.

Thanks for that, I thought these vacancies would have all went internally with people looking to move depots or progress from other grades.

LoogaBarooga

They've already been advertised internally and folk have been interviewed. There must have been a certain number of vacancies earmarked for external candidates as well though.

Scotrail84

Established Member
They've already been advertised internally and folk have been interviewed. There must have been a certain number of vacancies earmarked for external candidates as well though.

Ah fair enough. I'm led to believe theres a guards course starting in April but unsure what date in April. I wonder if that will come too soon for this intake given we are already in March and people have to give notice periods etc. I don't think anyone has been notified of interviews yet although its hard to tell unless they post on this site.

Fat Pav

They’re just starting the internal assessment process for Conductors, have mines tomorrow morning. A lot of staff haven’t even heard back with an assessment date yet.

Scotrail84

Established Member
They’re just starting the internal assessment process for Conductors, have mines tomorrow morning. A lot of staff haven’t even heard back with an assessment date yet.

Strange that some external candidates have had assessments yet internal staff haven't.

What depot did you apply for? Good luck by the way.

Last edited:

Fat Pav

Strange that some external candidates have had assessments yet internal staff haven't.

What depot did you apply for? Good luck by the way.
Not really sure the ins and outs of it, some haven’t even heard back regarding their interview. (We had interview first then assessments)

Mines is for Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Not feeling confident, not to be dramatic.

Scotrail84

Established Member
Not really sure the ins and outs of it, some haven’t even heard back regarding their interview. (We had interview first then assessments)

Mines is for Glasgow Central and Glasgow Queen Street. Thanks for the good luck wishes. Not feeling confident, not to be dramatic.
Interesting, I thought it would make sense to assess first then interview because you can pass the interview but fail the assessment putting the company back to square one staff wise. Go for Queen Street if you get through mate. Safer depot in my opinion. Central certainly at risk of going DOO in years to come.

Fat Pav

Interesting, I thought it would make sense to assess first then interview because you can pass the interview but fail the assessment putting the company back to square one staff wise. Go for Queen Street if you get through mate. Safer depot in my opinion. Central certainly at risk of going DOO in years to come.
I agree that assessment first makes sense, at least to me anyway. Other safety critical roles are assessment first, jobs like dispatcher. Not sure why this is different.

I’m currently based at Central as a TE, like working here, have worked at this depot since I started in the railway. Wouldn’t mind either depot to be honest, would just like to land the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.