• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

WF4HA5HE

Has anyone had an email saying unsuccessful? Or will it just be a case of not getting the next OPC assessment you have been unsuccessful?

I only completed my first assessments on Thursday, anyone else about the same time frame and heard back for the next assessments?
I haven't received anything yet. You'd hope you would receive an email telling you if you haven't passed but from how backlogged it sounds they are it wouldn't surprise me if I don't. I completed mine on on Thursday I believe.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gc85

Hopefully, only thing making me think otherwise is the deadline on the screenshot a few posts up. Unless it’s done in stages of when people have completed them then still a chance
I went through the avanti process and did same tests. I’d go with roughly a week slightly longer from when you did the tests

Tr4inee

Hopefully, only thing making me think otherwise is the deadline on the screenshot a few posts up. Unless it’s done in stages of when people have completed them then still a chance
I done mine on Wednesday and not heard anything back yet. Hopefully in the next couple of days!

tackleberry43

Hi guys. New here. I did my initial opc tests on 8th march. I received an email today saying I’d passed and now I’ve to do a final opc test on situational awareness. Good luck on your applications.

Chaz15

Received situational judgment earlier this evening, just completed it now, your usual sort of stuff in there, 8 questions. Will see how it goes!

Glasgow

Has anyone had an email saying unsuccessful? Or will it just be a case of not getting the next OPC assessment you have been unsuccessful?

I only completed my first assessments on Thursday, anyone else about the same time frame and heard back for the next assessments?
In the thread further up someone has clarified that the OPC website said the results would take 7-10 working days.

For anyone who completed the assessment for the 16th deadline will hear something the week beginning the 25th and the latest the 28th going with their timescales.

jmccallion93

In the thread further up someone has clarified that the OPC website said the results would take 7-10 working days.

For anyone who completed the assessment for the 16th deadline will hear something the week beginning the 25th and the latest the 28th going with their timescales.
Perfect, thanks for clearing that up :D

grantos3000

Completed my online tests 6th of March and just received email saying I've passed initial stage of test and I've now got the final test.
So be patient guys
I got news for you….its not the final test it’s just the final online test!
If you pass this there will still be likely 2 days you have to go to in person assessments/interviews and that’s where the hard stuff begins!

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It was nice to get an email last night to say I passed. I do think that one will have struggled to whittle down many though. However, this one looks a lot harder, but hopefully everyone gets something they want out of it.

It got me thinking. ScotRail are wanting to have a drastic overhaul of their timetable in May 2025. Given the average length of training a driver is anything between 9 and 18 months, depending on the amount of traction and routes to learn. It will be interesting to see how long they intend to take to recruit the successful candidates. There’s obviously the previous recruitment drives as well of which some are still in a pool.

ZackCulross

I got news for you….its not the final test it’s just the final online test!
If you pass this there will still be likely 2 days you have to go to in person assessments/interviews and that’s where the hard stuff begins!
Yeah I thought that, final online test it says, so I guessed from reading stuff on this that you do tests in person

ls82

It said at the start of the questions that scoring is automatic so its surprising the results haven’t been sent out yet. They should have been able to email a result more or less instantly when the finish test button was pushed.
I agree they should at least let us know whether you have passed or not right away then you can prepare to going onto next stage I hate not knowing hoping to hear soon done the OPC 16th march so hopefully soon .good luck

BigAl

Has anyone already sat all OPC assessments for another provider & passed? Wondering if I currently hold enhanced rail standard pass if i would need to resit with scotrail?
Anyone able to answer the above? I have passed the tests with avanti but now I have been asked to sit the Situation Judgment tests again for Scotrail. Both were done via the OPC, do the original results not count?

John Bishop

Anyone able to answer the above? I have passed the tests with avanti but now I have been asked to sit the Situation Judgment tests again for Scotrail. Both were done via the OPC, do the original results not count?
Depends when you did them? Some TOCs require you to sit them again with them.

watty30000

Hi folks, like a few I’m still waiting to hear if I’m progressing to the online SJT, so definitely jumping the gun here but something I have been wondering about is how the DMI works.
Before (talking a good 5 years plus now by the look of things) when there was a trainee driver advert it was for a specific depot. This along with the other campaigns is just generic Scotland wide.
In the past if you applied for a Perth advert you’d have your DMI with a DTM, Traincrew manager and HR person there.
Do you just have an interview with any random DTM or is there a point in the process you get asked where you’d like to be based (if it’s anything like the RAF, you’d give them your 3 choices and get the furthest away one, request Leuchars Lossiemouth and kinloss and get goose bay Canada haha!) and then get your interview with that depots DTM.
Hope this makes sense, just up after a night shift!

grantos3000

depends how long ago you took them (and also on the company preference). In theory test results are valid for 5 years but realistically most TOCs only count them for 2 years (and some will just make you sit them again anyway regardless of whether you passed them recently!)

BigAl

depends how long ago you took them (and also on the company preference). In theory test results are valid for 5 years but realistically most TOCs only count them for 2 years (and some will just make you sit them again anyway regardless of whether you passed them recently!)
Cool thanks mate, looks like il need to do them again then

grantos3000

Cool thanks mate, looks like il need to do them again then
I have just done my online SJT for Scotrail. I am not giving out the questions I was asked but I can say the questions were different to the last SJT I did for DRS (they are specific to the company/role you have applied to). This is probably why they get you do to them again so that you do their tests, which they have decided the questions for, rather than some generic questions that might not actually apply to the role you have applied for.

Evening all, just received an invite to the SJT. If you haven’t checked emails then go and do that. I submitted my first online test on the 15th if that helps with any timescales.

hepburn40

Evening all, just received an invite to the SJT. If you haven’t checked emails then go and do that. I submitted my first online test on the 15th if that helps with any

Happy that you had an invite. Feeling a bit deflated as I completed my first online test on the 11th but haven't heard anything. Bit depressing that I've failed a personality test

AS1990

Ive read through a lot of the comments here and like you all I was in the same boat, going through all the assessments, eager to find out as much as I could.

I first applied in 2013 but unfortunately failed at the last stage (MMI). I eventually started as a Station Grade B (Station services), and worked my way up to Conductor, then Driver. Finally passing out almost a year ago. I had a few failed interviews in that time and visited the assessment centre plenty.

My biggest piece of advice to you all is not to get ahead of yourselves. Concentrate on each stage at a time, and commit to doing your research on that specific test then. Yes I get that people naturally want to know what comes next and how to prepare, but I found that doing research into DMI when you haven’t even sat the Psychometrics is detrimental to yourself.

Remember these tests are a measure on you and whether or not they deem you suitable for the role. It’s often best not to over study as crazy as that might sound. You either fit the mould or not.

I wish everyone all the best on their journeys through the process. It can be daunting, especially the further into it you get. Another piece of advice, on the morning you attend the assessment centre don’t cram in last minute revision, try to relax. Listen to some music on the commute, take ur mind off it. It’s proven that the more relaxed you are the better you perform.

Happy to offer advice for anyone further down the road so feel free to DM me.

Cheers

Glasgow74

Happy that you had an invite. Feeling a bit deflated as I completed my first online test on the 11th but haven't heard anything. Bit depressing that I've failed a personality test
Same here , completed mine on the 8th March but not heard back . Looks like ive either fluffed the previous OPC test or im not what they are looking for .

WF4HA5HE

Same here , completed mine on the 8th March but not heard back . Looks like ive either fluffed the previous OPC test or im not what they are looking for .
Same here can't remember when I completed mine but it wasn't far off the 8th. I would have thought they would sent you an email saying sorry you didn't make the grade. I know they have alot of people applying so why should they send out an email to those who don't meet the grade but it would make for a much better candidate experience which is Still important.

I really wouldn’t be disheartened. My e mail came through as spam. I’ve just completed the test and I feel I was overthinking it. My advice would be to go with your gut and just be yourself. Looking at it thinking what would they like just gets you lost ‍♂️. Fingers crossed and good luck

Ive read through a lot of the comments here and like you all I was in the same boat, going through all the assessments, eager to find out as much as I could.

I first applied in 2013 but unfortunately failed at the last stage (MMI). I eventually started as a Station Grade B (Station services), and worked my way up to Conductor, then Driver. Finally passing out almost a year ago. I had a few failed interviews in that time and visited the assessment centre plenty.

My biggest piece of advice to you all is not to get ahead of yourselves. Concentrate on each stage at a time, and commit to doing your research on that specific test then. Yes I get that people naturally want to know what comes next and how to prepare, but I found that doing research into DMI when you haven’t even sat the Psychometrics is detrimental to yourself.

Remember these tests are a measure on you and whether or not they deem you suitable for the role. It’s often best not to over study as crazy as that might sound. You either fit the mould or not.

I wish everyone all the best on their journeys through the process. It can be daunting, especially the further into it you get. Another piece of advice, on the morning you attend the assessment centre don’t cram in last minute revision, try to relax. Listen to some music on the commute, take ur mind off it. It’s proven that the more relaxed you are the better you perform.

Happy to offer advice for anyone further down the road so feel free to DM me.

Cheers
I can’t seem to DM. I’ve had a look to why and it’s saying it’s because I am a new member. Would like to get in touch once I am able. Thanks

RiverDon

Can only assume I’ve been binned off too from the lack of any further emails. I agree it’s not a nice feeling being weeded out by a glorified quiz from a teenage girls magazine, especially because last time I applied they didn’t bother with these tests and I went straight through to the DTM interview and assessment center on the back of my initial application.

Maybe next time I suppose.

watty30000

Completed my initial OPC questions just after midnight on the 14th so gonna go for the “assume the worst, hope for the best” option for the next 17 hours or so. Think if there’s nothing back by tomorrow evening based on the cut off date on the screenshot someone put up earlier in the week it’s the worst.
Does anyone know when these became a thing because when I applied before it was 1st stage assessment centre based off you application. Then I got binned after the DMI for a Dundee vacancy first time and then a Perth vacancy next time, that’s why I was curious about how it works when it’s a Scotland wide vacancy

Last edited:

John Bishop

Can only assume I’ve been binned off too from the lack of any further emails. I agree it’s not a nice feeling being weeded out by a glorified quiz from a teenage girls magazine, especially because last time I applied they didn’t bother with these tests and I went straight through to the DTM interview and assessment center on the back of my initial application.

Maybe next time I suppose.
Just a suggestion, but maybe if you viewed the tests for what they are rather than “a glorified quiz from a teenage girls magazine“ you may have a better chance at passing them. They are there for a reason, and if you don't take them seriously, I can guarantee you, several hundred other people who are wanting the same vacancy as you will be. It’s sink or swim in this game I’m afraid.

RiverDon

Just a suggestion, but maybe if you viewed the tests for what they are rather than “a glorified quiz from a teenage girls magazine“ you may have a better chance at passing them. They are there for a reason, and if you don't take them seriously, I can guarantee you, several hundred other people who are wanting the same vacancy as you will be. It’s sink or swim in this game I’m afraid.
Cheers for the top tip mate.