• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail - Trainee Driver - Various (March 24)

Samsanbor

Just from recent posts in this thread I'm understanding that internal applications will take priority regardless of experience. I could be wrong but does put me off a bit having been a lorry driver for some time now I understand that companies like to promote within and that's great but waiting 2 years to even find out if you will even be allowed to sit a test to determine if you fit the mould is a bit excessive in my opinion but again I don't understand the railway recruitment process.
An internal applicant has already (railway) experience compared an external candidate.
I don't know if they will have some sort of priority but having a foot already in the industry can be a huge advantage for sure.

2 years waiting for a Trainee Driver job is literally nothing.
Many aspirants on this forum can easily tell they had to wait much longer than that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DavidAtkin

Just from recent posts in this thread I'm understanding that internal applications will take priority regardless of experience. I could be wrong but does put me off a bit having been a lorry driver for some time now I understand that companies like to promote within and that's great but waiting 2 years to even find out if you will even be allowed to sit a test to determine if you fit the mould is a bit excessive in my opinion but again I don't understand the railway recruitment process.
Yeah it’s got to be a massive backlog with applications. Covid has obviously made a huge impact in it also as they stopped for a while. Some people have said they (ScotRail) contact unsuccessful applicants first. I may be wrong but no news is possible good news with regards to getting and invite to the assessment centre. Have absolutely no knowledge of time scale with it so it seems to be a long wait unfortunately. Some people in this thread have had unsuccessful emails already which sat the SJT recently. It’s just a waiting game

Scottt

Seems a bit of a crazy thought that they would advertise a year or 2 before actually employing and then have an average of 18 months training before they have a qualified driver in the seat.

A lot can change over that time in the company and with applicants.

Iv sent scotrail an email enquiring, if I get a response I will pass the info here.

Kuksoolgirl

Seems a bit of a crazy thought that they would advertise a year or 2 before actually employing and then have an average of 18 months training before they have a qualified driver in the seat.

Iv sent scotrail an email enquiring, if I get a response I will pass the info here.
It is what it is.
It depends how much you want it.
But I just think it's the sheer volume of applicants they get from massive recruitment drives and each depot will have different needs and also it serves their needs to have a pool of candidates incase tests/interviews/medicals failed.

Scottt

It is what it is.
It depends how much you want it.
But I just think it's the sheer volume of applicants they get from massive recruitment drives and each depot will have different needs and also it serves their needs to have a pool of candidates incase tests/interviews/medicals failed.
Yeah, I get what your saying but that being said, you would think they would even put something in the advert stating the timeline of when they are recruiting for.

ZackCulross

Yeah, I get what your saying but that being said, you would think they would even put something in the advert stating the timeline of when they are recruiting for.
Yeah but a TOC never will because the positions are highly sought after, so they can effectively take as long as they want and never be short of applicants

DavidAtkin

Iv sent scotrail an email enquiring, if I get a response I will pass the info

It’s a waiting game unfortunately. They will be taking their time going through all applications. If we had failed the SJT am pretty certain we would have heard by now.

Wil

Wee update

Got an email to say I met the standard and they will advise of the next stage.

Completed sjt end of march.

Arussoco

Still waiting to hear back also. I know of 3 people who got emails on Friday saying they were successful and will be advised of next stage in due course

Doonhamer96

Hi I’m new here, first time applicant and passed SJT test at the end of March. Email today saying I have met the standard required and will be contacted shortly about the next steps. Anyone know what that next step will likely be ? Cheers

Scottt

I'm still waiting but hopefully get news soon.

Hi I’m new here, first time applicant and passed SJT test at the end of March. Email today saying I have met the standard required and will be contacted shortly about the next steps. Anyone know what that next step will likely be ? Cheers
We
Well done and good luck

Last edited:

DavidAtkin

Well done to all getting good news good luck with assessments. Still waiting to hear myself will post when I hear.

JMS15

I got a positive outcome from email from last night. What kind of the tests I need to look at? I know DMI but unsure for other tests. Good luck for others who get though the stages.

Scottt

I got a positive outcome from email from last night. What kind of the tests I need to look at? I know DMI but unsure for other tests. Good luck for others who get though the stages.
well done and good luck with the next steps

Well done to all getting good news good luck with assessments. Still waiting to hear myself will post when I hear.
fingers crossed mate

jmccallion93

Has anyone waiting on Edinburgh heard anything? Looks as if they’re doing them based on location as opposed to dates completed going by what’s been said on here recently